IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you prefer cramming right before an exam or studying consistently during the year?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Helen, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Tripidate

Tripidate New Member

The question really comes down to two things: Do you want to just pass the class, or do you want to learn something too?

Cramming before an exam can get you a good grade, but you'll start forgetting what you "learned" when you finish the test. If that floats your boat, then go ahead, but that doesn't slide with me. Studying consistently and moderately throughout the year will give you the same results and you still retain the majority of what you learned.

However, both can be overdone. Make sure to take breaks when studying, especially in the Sciences and in Math. Overworking your brain means whatever you try to study will just go right over your head. Let things sink in for a while, take a nap and come back to what you were working on afterwards. If you do this, you'll reduce stress and increase your confidence in your ability to pass the class.

2. lickmydonkey

lickmydonkey New Member

I normally start studying a month or three before my exams. Call it what you want. But, I don't remember anything I read one year back. It is best to start as early before the tests as possible saving enough time for a second or third revision as well.

3. Tyi

Tyi Member

As for me, I have an issue with procrastination and motivation. I tend to put things off until the 11th hour and 59th minute. Unfortunately, this tends to cause me great anxiety when I use this method of studying. I have found that when I take the time to plan a study schedule, I do much better on school work, quizzes and exams. And I feel more comfortable doing the work and meeting my deadlines.

4. 701JH3YK050J4S90

701JH3YK050J4S90 New Member

It's best to learn throughout the year. Really the only way to reliably learn something is to learn it again. The first time you learn it, you're just putting it in your head somewhere. It's only when you re-access what you learned that it starts to make connections with other things in your mind. Whereas before you could repeat it, now you can actually use it.

5. daniel njonge

daniel njonge New Member

I think studying the whole year is better since one will have good understanding of the subject. Craming will only help in stating.What if the question asks to explain where one needs to be clear on the point and more information is needed?

6. bella556

bella556 Member

I use the idea of studying for tests and exams taking notes for each course, and doing practice exams.
    Sometimes I write the terms on the index cards and try by memorizing each one. One thing is to try to find someone in class to study the terms with you. This helps a person to do better on a test or an exam.

7. Cheeaka

Cheeaka New Member

I think that studying consistently is the wise thing to do because not doing so has the tendency to bring about stress. No matter how hard you cram the night before, or the day of, that cramming is not going to be as effective as if you would have studied consistently through-out the year, then leisurely prepared for the test, and approached the test taking in a calm, confident manner. However, for some people, procrastination is seductive. It can be like a drug that pulls you in and doesn't want to let you go.

It's okay to brush-up before a test, and vigorously go-over what you've learned throughout the school year, but to cram right beforehand, that's not good. Been there, done that, regretted that. That being said, doing what's wise is often easier said than done, as you know. Many people know what to do, they just don't employ that knowledge in their actions.

8. bella556

bella556 Member

I think your way to study a good start to pass a class since the knowledge of it maybe a stepping stone to another class. I will say this may help you finish sooner and be closer to your career goal.

9. PnkyBrewster

PnkyBrewster New Member

I too prefer to study consistently, but i find that my resolve to study on schedule dissolves rather quickly. I started college two years ago, so far as each semester has begun I've said to myself, "this is it, this time I'm going to be better at studying". Shortly after the semester starts, about two to three weeks in, I seem to have forgotten all those little pep talks I gave myself about my study schedule.
    I hate cramming for tests, it make me nervous every time I go in to an exam. Fortunately i have done well on those exams so far, I do however worry that it may not always be the case in the future.

10. Jane Marie

Jane Marie New Member

Certainly cramming a subject prior to an examination gives the possibility that you may just forget anything that you just read.

The best idea is to study continuously and near to the time of the exam to revise all that which you had already learned. Therefore, you are learning twice at least. The best way for something to sink into the mind is by parrot fashion. This enables those people who find it hard to retain information easily for the information to actually sink in.

11. harijobs

harijobs New Member

When I was in high school I was a consistent learner as I had managed time efficiently and not indulging any extracurricular activities much. But as soon as I entered college there was a total change. I plan to study daily but always ended up piling up everything and study as a whole the night before the exam even without sleeping. I would not recommend this because it may be useful for writing the exam but we will not gain enough knowledge. Therefore to improve knowledge and to learn I would prefer studying consistently throughout the year.

12. mericamarie

mericamarie New Member

I have never been one to study. I pay attention in class and take notes. Once I'm done, I normally don't look at them again until before a test. I think with me, I work better under pressure. I'm last minute with completing assignments as well. It's like the pressure of the deadline forces me to focus.

13. Tashni

Tashni New Member

Personally, I prefer studying continuously. However, we are constantly getting homework, tests and we have our duties at home so I have to resort to cramming. U

14. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 New Member

I also prefer to study throughout the year. I used to cram things the night before or a few nights before, and depending on what it is it could be good and it may not be. But I find that if you prepare yourself ahead a time, you can do better. Also understanding what you are studying can also approve your grades. When I was last in college, I used to get a dictionary to help me understand what I was studying better and it worked, I was able to get passing grades. Maybe not straight A's, but at least they were passing :)

15. ProNine

ProNine New Member

I honestly prefer reviewing material all the time. This way, whenever a test comes up, I have already studied most of the material and simply need to go over the material one last time before I'm ready to sit the exam. Most of the time though, I tend to study intensively a while before the test even if I have been studying throughout the year. The problem with cramming is that you would end up feeling very stressed a day or two before the test and would feel overwhelmed by the amount of material required to study. In the end, you will feel bad about yourself and would not retain as much information as you would have have you started earlier. This mostly holds true in subjects where you need to memorize a lot of information like human sciences and also holds true in subjects where you need to practice quite a bit like mathematics and natural sciences. The best way to study throughout the year is to make a study schedule that you stick to and follow it. This way, you will make use of most your time and be fully prepared whenever a test pops up.

16. dnak10

dnak10 New Member

Consistent studying and revision is better but somehow it seems impractical to me and I can never seem to study consistently throughout the year. I get distracted with other activities and always cram before the exam.

17. Dominickongo

Dominickongo New Member

During my earlier years in school, cramming seemed to work because the questions did not require a rather long explanation so, there was no need to study much. But the problem was that I could not expound on my choice of answers.

However, as the education became complex the exam questions also required detailed answers. For this reason, continuous studying became a habit and it tended to ease things a bit because I related my studies with experiences and circumstances of every day life.

18. plenc

plenc Member

To be frank and true i think you to or anyone always crams before the exams no one like studying the whole yeah and preparing themselves early, The Geeks maybe cant get off books i believe.

19. mshaggy7

mshaggy7 New Member

Cramming? studying? I just Always Try To be The best I Can be. I do The Both. Before the exams I Study To understand. And When The Exams Approach I cram So As To gain grades. To Me I Think keeping both Insight Does More Favor.

20. Roselyn

Roselyn New Member

During my school day's, I used to study hard, pay attention in the class and make notes where necessary before the exam. I am one of those that put all my effort to make sure I browsed all through my books, incase I see something of that nature during the exam I will be able to tackle it. When it is exam time I combine with cramming any time I came across difficult courses, it really helped me alot.

Even now most people can't do without cramming to get their grade. Though its not the right method of learning because after you drop the pen, you will forget all those things that you crammed.