IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you prefer to go to the gym or workout at home?

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by blueleaf, Apr 15, 2015.

1. patrickkenyi

patrickkenyi New Member

I would much rather work out at home. I tried working out at a local gym for about one month and I found the 30 minute trip to the gym demoralizing at times. The area I live in gets very high temperatures which are not pleasant to travel in so I would sometimes get to the gym feeling a lot less energetic than I did back home.
    In my opinion working out at home is a better option because it saves time and the hustle of going to the gym, not to mention the money you will save. It is very easy to find YouTube videos on effective workouts that don't require expensive equipment.

2. april30rese

april30rese New Member

I prefer to do work out at home because I am an introvert. I find it hard to concentrate on a gym because there are too many people and the sound is always loud. I tend to do my workouts in privacy where I can also meditate and do other things. I like the solitude of exercising alone and tailor fit it to my time and needs. Also, gyms are expensive. You need membership and you need a lot of interaction with other people. Something that I avoid 99% of the time.

3. Lakeyia

Lakeyia New Member

I prefer to workout at home because I have my own gym at home right now. I think the gym is fun but when it comes to my boys I need to make sure that there is a place for them to play. I just would rather workout at home especially if I can't get out and go to the gym. I have, to be honest, some of the gym memberships are expensive these days. I can't be paying all that money for a membership and I am not even going every day. My gym is at my home in my garage.

4. Anna

Anna New Member

I prefer to stay home and workout

5. nmatbd

nmatbd New Member

We all know that health is wealth . To keep tuned our body as fit we need to workout regular. No way without it. Normally I need to work to earn. Don't get time to go to Gym .But I am used to workout in home regular.I think without this cant live well.And all should take exercise every day wherever in gym or in home.

6. Aman Samaiya

Aman Samaiya New Member

I prefer working out at gym because at gym you get a perfect environment and equipments. I do like gym because even if I am tired I get motivated by seeing other people working out in the gym. I am not able to workout at home because of laziness and being alone.;)

7. Aman Samaiya

Aman Samaiya New Member

Sometimes working out at gym can also be a problem, as there are so many people. The main problem is selecting music you like, since everyone has their own preference;getting your favorite music on can be a trouble sometimes.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  8. HKNA1994

HKNA1994 New Member

I workout at home and I love it. I started out weightlifting at home about three years ago because I was so skinny and weak at the time. But as I started having good progress, I was forced to go to a gym due to the lack of weightlifting equipment at home. After I started lifting at the gym it didn't feel any comforting at all, I noticed that I'm not having any progress at all and most of the guys at the gym, some even skinnier than me are lifting heaver weights which made me doubt myself. So it didn't take too long before I stopped working out altogether.

But after about two months of doing nothing I stumble upon a second hand weight set nearby. So I bought it and started working out at home again.
    For me, nothing beats the freedom of doing any thing at home. It's the only place I can be myself and do thing at my own pace. For me the ability to workout at home is one of the best things that ever happened to me.

9. paola

paola New Member

I rather go to the gym, I feel motivated when I see more people working out around me, everybody pushing harder and making an effort, makes me do it too. Also, I like being trained, that some professional in the area tells me what I'm doing right or wrong, and guides me in the whole process

10. BlueSky

BlueSky New Member

I prefer to work out in the comfort of my
    own home.I like when I can work out
    when its quiet I can meditate at the
    same time.I am not to fond of the
    crowed.

11. BlueSky

BlueSky New Member

The only way I would work out at the gym
    is if at home exercises were not helping me
    looses weight.It all depends on each individual
    and what works best for there body or what task
    they are trying to obtain.

12. Amel Sijaric

Amel Sijaric New Member

I prefer going to the gym of course. But if I ever buy couple of gym equipment for my personal gym in my house I will gladly skip going to the gym and I will prefer workout at home. With some weights and gym bench I would have great trainings at home. I hope I will buy it one day.

13. zel_84

zel_84 New Member

I prefer working out at home, because it's free and i don't need to go anywhere, also because I can train at my own pace doing the workouts I want.

14. Heti Damani

Heti Damani New Member

In my opinion gym works for most people, including me. I'll tell you why. Most of us who are starting to workout don't have the willpower to sustain it for a long time if we don't have a routine, a habit. A gym greatly helps in that. First of all, when you are paying for something, you automatically feel an obligation to do it, even if for the first few days. Those first few days are essential for forming a routine that you can stick to. Also, seeing other people working out is sometimes a motivation in itself. Plus if you make a workout buddy, you are much more likely to be consistent in your workout, scientists have found out. The benefits of a gym are much more than what people think they are getting for their money, or what gym thinks they're offering.
    For what exercises you should be doing, it's better to consult a physician or the gym you maybe joining for guidance. They can help you for how you can exercise with your straining your wrists.

15. xTinx

xTinx New Member

I have no qualms with people who go to the gym. We're responsible for our own fitness so whatever floats your boat (and provided you can afford it). Personally, however, I'd rather work out at home. Due to inborn ailments, I cannot really take part in a vigorous workout session so I try to be more subtle about it. I just walk 3 to 5 kilometers, use the stationary bike that my parents bought a few years ago and engage in a few situps with the help of an easy-to-use equipment called Ab Rocket.

16. Shane5140

Shane5140 New Member

I lift weights and when I initially began working out at home. I prefer working out at the gym because the equipment is better. Also, there is more variety at the gym. For example, there are at least three or four machines that focus on the shoulders. Home gym equipment is limited. The obvious benefit of working at is the cost savings. I only work out at home if I am unable to get to the gym or of the weather is extremely bad.

17. Browncoat

Browncoat New Member

I prefer to do my workouts outside. I go biking in the summer and fall, and I sporadically do other things like swim, play tennis, hike. I used to go to yoga class regularly. Unfortunately, I am no longer close to a yoga studio (plus classes are rather expensive), so I have not attended yoga classes in a while.

Basically, I don't like indoor workouts unless it's a fitness class of some sort. I'm still thinking about trying a pole fitness class. That would be fun.

18. chingam116

chingam116 New Member

Well I have home gymed for years on and off. I started again seriously this year and am loving it having bought my own bars (tri/EZ/ and barbell) as well as weights.
    I don't get distracted at home. When I start lifting I get it done for the whole session. As someone who's not that confident in the gym in terms of knowing which stuff to use and how, beginning at home with a view to migrating to the gym is the best way to go. You learn your routine, form, what works and what doesn't without feeling you'll embarrass yourself or whatever in a gym where people know what they are doing.
    It preps you for the gym experience if that's where you want to go with it. I bought my equipment so there's no excuses but also I'm not shelling out £20/$30 a month for a membership I don't really use.

Ultimately having your own weights in the place you live is a great thing, always accessible and 'free'. Just set aside time and have a routine in place.

19. usman ali

usman ali New Member

The big reasons are convenience, not having to share or wait for a machine. you always get those gym rats that want to sit there and talk forever and frankly I don't want to talk to some of them which just makes your workout longer. you can also listen to radio, wear anything you want and have a tv or computer set up and watch and do what you want. there is also an ego thing and that isn't there when you can workout alone. you also have cost and its just not cost for membership its the cost to get to and from there. from home to gym and back.

20. usman ali

usman ali New Member

Adding more, For a home gym, these are the must have equipment to get you started. If you can afford these pieces of equipment you have all your home gym needs. For a beginner I recommend to get at least a pull-up bar and dumbbells, because then you can work out your entire body properly.