IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you read reviews first?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Fallarts, Apr 17, 2015.

1. khatlyn

khatlyn New Member

I don't read reviews. I always wait to be surprised and most of the time the review i read express a total different opinion that my own opinion. I like watch trailers and base my choices on purely intuition.

2. LaTavia McQueen

LaTavia McQueen New Member

Personally, I read reviews first but that doesn't stop me from wanting to see the movie. Even if the movie has a horrible review I'll want to watch it just to see if I agree with the critics. I might not actually pay to go see the movie sometimes, depending on how bad the review actually is. However instead of listening to the critiques I rather experience the movie on my own.

3. GernBlanston

GernBlanston New Member

I check reviews, but I take everything with a grain of salt, because I don't always agree with the professionals.
    I find IMDB to be indispensable in gathering information on a movie that I don't know much about, but I only go to rotten tomatoes if there is a doubt about the quality of the movie, production value, or performances.

In general I find that reviews tend to get it right for me, about 5o percent of the time granted I like some terrible movie genres, like horror movies, and bad scifi.

4. alyssa_nicole017

alyssa_nicole017 Member

No, I do not read reviews before I go watch a movie. Usually, people that I know you I'll tell MW how it was if they have seen it. But sometimes, no matter what people have said, I will see the movie to form my own opinion.

5. thebindicator

thebindicator New Member

I do believe that reviews can affect the way we enjoy films. Even looking at IMDb ratings make me set expectations already. A 6.5/10 rating and a 8/10 can seem exceedingly different and will be treated differently. However, in a world where items and services are priced wrong and high, you want to get the most out of your money. I also watch my movie like how you do it, @Fallarts. I've walked out from theaters many times and felt cheated on. Although, one useful tip when watching films you paid to watch is to simply set your expectations low. Do not let the hype get to you.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  6. AnAngel65

AnAngel65 New Member

Personally I do not like to read movie reviews. There is one time where I searched for the movie reviews online before I go to the cinema, I read all those reviews and ended up staying at home. There are so many negative reviews but the movie turned out to be not so bad after I downloaded it on my laptop. I guess there are so many type of people out there and there is no movie that can satisfy everyone. Therefore any movie would have negative reviews. I still prefer to watch the movie instead of letting the reviews to tell me how the movie actually is.

7. cr381121

cr381121 New Member

I don't normally read the reviews. I do pay attention to the rating since I watch movies on Netflix and Vudu. I like to watch the trailers on Vudu as well so I can decide if it looks like something I would be interested in. That was a mistake here recently, however. I watched a movie recently because I thought the trailer was really engaging. The movie ended up being nothing like the trailer. I realized had I read the reviews first I would have known this before renting the movie. I don't want to base all of my opinions on reviews, however, because everyone likes different things. There are movies most people like that I do not like. In contrast, there are a lot of movies I like that most people wouldn't like. It just depends on what you prefer. I tend to like Horror, Action and Comedy films myself. For me there is a fine line between what is scary and what is just gory. There is also a fine line between what is funny and what is just stupid.

8. fatema

fatema New Member

No, personally I don't look at the reviews first. I feel like reviews confuse you. Everyone has their own opinion of something, and you just see the good and the bad reviews and you start to wonder if it's good or bad. I just go with the flow, if I want something, I get it, if I want to watch something, I watch it.

9. tinnie

tinnie New Member

I guess it depends on the movie and why I'm even considering watching it. If I hear a lot about a movie, but the opinions are quite mixed, I'll probably read a review first to decide whether it's worth my time. If I see that there is a movie on TV or in the cinema that kind of caught my interest, I probably won't read any reviews. Or sometimes I decide randomly. I'm not a big movie person anyway and even if I read great reviews, it always takes me ages to actually watch a movie.

10. butterfly2015

butterfly2015 New Member

In the past, I have always read movie reviews first, but recently, I've been watching the film first and then maybe checking out the reviews afterward. Before, while watching the movie, I found my enjoyment of the film being influenced by the reviews I had read. I tend to enjoy movies a lot more. Any thoughts?

11. FireOnIceCream

FireOnIceCream New Member

Yes, i definitely read reviews it is my guide for me to watch the movie or not and usually it works, I am satisfied with the opinion and I enjoyed the movie, it was worth the watch. There are times when the opinion of the people are 50-50 and if so I based it on the plot of the movie and if there is one actor I am familiar with.

12. gravity

gravity New Member

I love watching movies too, but I don't read reviews for they simply fizzle out the intrigue and thrill in the movies. Most of the times, reviews disclose the plot of a movie and the kill the interest in watching a movie on big screen. I would rather watch a trailer and go by the opinion of my pals on Facebook.

13. Kennedy Oluoch

Kennedy Oluoch New Member

I guess watching the trailer is as important as watching the trailer. Though watching the trailer is better as you get to see the action and have a hint of the movie scenery.

14. komolo

komolo New Member

Most of the time I do not even take interest in reviews but depend entirely on my knowledge and liking of the actors. There are some actors who interest me in any movie that they take part in as they are my favourites.

15. bennewcombe

bennewcombe New Member

I definately agree with you ! I hate going to see a movie that has so much hype and just flops. An example of this would be 'Interstella' my family said how good of a movie it was going to be, we then went to see it and it was absolutely terrible. From that day, I have read reviews about movies before going to watch them!

16. bluegreen

bluegreen New Member

Nope I dont watch reviews unless it is a well known movie that is being greattly antecipated. Usually I just watch the trailers!

17. matthesteruk

matthesteruk New Member

I always look at reviews beforehand and pretty much always go to the rotten tomatoes website since it's a collection of opinions. Over the many years of doing this I have, in nearly all cases without fail, agreed with the consensus of opinions. Some people may regard this in a bad light but I would rather go in to a movie knowing it is likely to be good rather than know that its likely to be terrible.

This has always served me well :)

18. ARS617

ARS617 New Member

It depends on the movie. Some movies like the Fast and the Furious or the Avengers I know that I am going to see them regardless of what the reviews say, so I figure why bother unless I hear the movie is really dreadful (and even then I am going to probably check it out). However, if it is a movie that I am on the fence about, then I will indeed check out the reviews especially if it is horror movie or suspense type movie.

19. panzerhacker

panzerhacker New Member

No. I will probably read the rating on IMDB for a film and that's it. I'll most likely end up watching the film anyway but looking at the rating lets me decide how I should approach watching the film. If it's a low score then I usually go in thinking the film will suck. If it's a high score then I usually go in thinking that the film will be awesome and that I will love it. Reviews themselves however I never bother with them. Why should I read one persons opinion when I can look at a mean average of other peoples ratings?

20. jainish

jainish New Member

I do read reviews. Actually I check imdb ratings/reviews if the star cast or the director is new. And if the movie is of some famous series, I just go for it without a second thought.