IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you read reviews of movies before you watch them?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Rajeeta, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Kitcat

Kitcat New Member

Same!!!! Especially rotten tomatoes. They try to sound edgy and snobby about such a simple enjoyable movie i'm just like ugh...Case in point the accountant. Great movie low rating

2. Ravenclaw07

Ravenclaw07 New Member

I do the same. If a trailer does a pretty good job of explaining what the movie is about and it looks interesting enough, I’ll probably decide to see it based on the trailer alone.

Sometimes the trailer makes the movie look interesting, but it’s too vague and doesn’t effectively communicate what the movie is about. That’s usually when I start looking at reviews.

3. aly.cam

aly.cam New Member

I rarely check reviews before seeing a movie. Often, if I am going to see a film with friends or family it is popular and I am able to tell how worthwhile it is to see based on others' opinions. Sometimes, what other people rate movies I do not agree with and they end up only spoiling the experience. The reviews are a useful tool if I was to choose the movie myself, but this is usually not the case. Ultimately, if a friend asked me to go see a movie, regardless of its ratings, I would see it.

4. Missolweru

Missolweru New Member

No,I prefer to just wait and experience the whole thing myself,sometimes reading reviews by those who have already watched might kill your excitement and zeal to even watch the movie ,so no.

5. Uyj

Uyj New Member

Yes of course, I read some reviews first if it is a nice movie or not. I ask my friends first who've watched the movie already if I heard some good reviews from theme of I course I will go to the theaters to buy tickets and watch the movie with my girlfriend.

I don't like horror movies, so if my friends invite me to watch horror movies I always said, "no thanks".

6. Gabbz95

Gabbz95 New Member

I personally prefer reading a movie's review along side it's ratings on websites like Rotten Tomatoes. I believe it's important to start a personal culture of reading movie reviews because lately the number of movies being released is rising but the quality does not improve proportionally.

The second reason I read movie reviews is because movie trailers are usually over hyped by the producers. Trailers mainly show the cool scenes in a movie in a matter of about three minutes. That is a really short amount of time to judge whether a movie is good or not. Back in the day when I used trailers to pick which movie I will watch sometimes I ended up feeling dissatisfied with the movie.

7. Anne Gabrielle David

Anne Gabrielle David New Member

Yes, I think reviewing the movie before watching it saves us the time of watching a movie that didn't pass out taste. One of the things I look for a movie is if their Rotten Tomatoes review is high and many people will recommend that movie to me. But be careful because some movies do have great reviews but the content of the movie is not something that you are looking for. I guess what I am trying to say is that just because the movie got great reviews, great box office number would be the reason you will watch that certain movie. Not all people have the same taste.

One of the great sites I go to when reviewing if the movie is great is IMDb, If they have a great review there then I will check their ratings in Rotten Tomatoes, then if they also have great reviews there then I will watch the movie trailer on You Tube then if I still like the movie after watching the trailer then I will go to the nearest cinema, ask some of my friends or just rent out the DVD of that movie and watch it with them.Well this is my steps on how to review a movie. I hope this will be helpful to you guys. :)

8. Andrienne Falstrom

Andrienne Falstrom New Member

Yes I do. In fact I find it very helpful to help me distinguish the movies I would like to watch and the ones that don't sustain my taste of movies, since titles of movies are nowadays so catchy but the itself movie might not be. Also if I would like to juggle my mind I just read reviews and piece the clues together then ask someone who watched the movie if my puzzle is correct,I find that it helps me stay creative and juggles my mind so that i am able to predict and think fast and accurately. Lastly I find that amongst all the people who review the movie certainly there is one who has the same taste as me and since everyone is looking out to be recognized by there uniqueness often the reviews are not similar so they help me make a sober decision on the movie.

9. j_bar_

j_bar_ New Member

I always read reviews because I want to save money as well as time. But if my friend or someone I know tells me to watch a movie without looking at reviews then I don't check reviews. It's sometime good to be surprised.

10. jess7kelly

jess7kelly New Member

I used to read movie reviews. I have often found that I disagree with reviews. Now I go by the actors in the movies. There are certain actors that usually appear in good quality movies and choose interesting roles. The acting is really what makes or breaks movies.

11. WriterAtYourService

WriterAtYourService New Member

I agree, Rybert. But for me, it depends. Sometimes, I usually read some reviews about newly released movies because I want to make sure that I'm going to watch a good quality and satisfying movie. But also, I will not suggest reading reviews first, because, some mischievous reviewer are spoiler and that is what we need to avoid because it will decrease the excitement about the movie.

12. cheridbell

cheridbell New Member

I try to read the reviews, especially for movies that are unfamiliar to me, as opposed to a Harry Potter movie, that I would see regardless of the reviews.

I have to admit, if the reviews are good, even if I don't know anything about the movie, I'm ore inclined to go and see it. If the reviews are mediocre, I may go see it anyway, because the critics can be wrong. If the movie has bad reviews, I'll wait until it comes on cable TV or streaming.

13. Kileystar

Kileystar New Member

For the most part, I am willing to watch a movie if I see a preview online or a TV commercial and it catches my attention. Things like cast and genre do not really make a difference to me as long as something about the show grabs me and sticks in my head as something I need to see.

The only exception to this is when I am considering going to the theatre to watch a movie, or if I am planning on ordering one through my streaming service. The price for streaming is reasonable but the cost for a night out at the movies is quite pricey once you have purchased tickets and snacks. If I am going to outlay large chunks of money for a night of entertainment at the movies then I am definitely going to do some research on reviews from several different sites. I also tend to check review sites where posts are from critics and also the sites where the ratings come from real people.

14. Katie365

Katie365 New Member

I read the reviews depending on what movie it is. Most of the reviews contain spoilers and negative criticism which i try to avoid if it's a new and exciting movie. However if it's a situation where i don't know any of the actors or it's not a highly publicized movie then I'll definitely be checking the reviews. This is mainly to avoid wasting time and money.

15. tracy

tracy New Member

No I usually watch the trailer first though, but most of the time when I watch the trailer the movie tends to be a let down as they show all the best parts in the trailer making the movie seem better than it actually is. The reason I don't read the reviews is, because everyone has a different opinion on what they find as a good or bad movies, such as I will find a movie awesome and my husband will think it's terrible.

16. saphira

saphira New Member

I never read reviews. I believe everyone has different views of movies and what one person doesn't like another will absolutely love.
    Like you said you may end up missing out on a movie because of how someone else viewed it.

17. AnneJk18

AnneJk18 New Member

I usually do read reveiws before I'm going to watch a movie. I'm doing because I just want to know who the actors are. After that, I'm going to check some spoilers. Especially if I don't know the movie or if it is not a sequel to a movie that I've used to watch. I'm a sci-fi movie fan and also fantasy movies. So, I only check reviews if it not the type of movie that I want.

18. Sazzy_wilson

Sazzy_wilson New Member

Sometimes I read reviews sometimes I do not. If the trailer meets my expectations I do not see the reason to read the reviews. I read the reviews if a friend recommends a movie or series or if the movie or series contradicts my expectations. Reviews also helps you get a rough idea of what happens in the next episode.

Reviews can also be spoilers since they tend to kill the suspense.