IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you sleep with TV on or off?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Sandip Pan, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Sandip Pan

Sandip Pan New Member

Falling asleep with the TV on may ward off the bogeyman, but research suggests that, over time, too much light at night could interfere with healthy sleep, possibly increasing your risk of sleep disorders and other health problems. According to emerging research, sleep disorders and nighttime lighting may be making us fatter, more depressed, and more likely to develop cancer.

2. Xmerian

Xmerian New Member

Is this a joke? That i cannot do. With the high cost of electricity in my country, one might wake up with a bill of up to $20. I cannot even afford to leave my phone charging! Before going to bed I make sure to switch off all my electrical appliances to save on the electricity bills.

3. Charnell

Charnell New Member

Since I was a kid, I have found myself unable to fall asleep if the television isn't left on. However, in the last couple years, I can't stand the sound of hearing it at night. As a result, I now leave it on the weather channel with it muted at all times :D

4. swooshmoney

swooshmoney New Member

I enjoy watching tv before I go to bed. But I normally turn it off right before I fall asleep. I go on my phone before going to bed sometimes. But I don't need tv to fall asleep. My cousin and his father both can't fall asleep unless the tv is on. It is good to try to break that habit because it's not good to stare at light before bed.

5. Youngshark

Youngshark New Member

I had the problem of watching till late in the night a few years ago. I would find myself having slept off and left the TV on which had become an issue. Some people in the house (brother, mum,e.t.c) would come to wake me to go to bed as they switched off the TV due to the disturbance it caused for them.

I however was able to overcome the addiction and nowadays I can control how much I watch. I rarely go to sleep without switching off all the machines in my house that are unused. I can even be watching in bed but i will choose when i have had enough and it is time to sleep.

6. Eli

Eli New Member

I personally sleep with the TV off. For one thing, I feel much better if I sleep with it off. Falling asleep with the TV on often causes me to wake up in the middle of the night, or sleep more lightly than I normally would. The next day, I'll feel groggy, and often dehydrated (I think since I sleep lighter, I also tend to snore.)

Mostly, though, I sleep with it off because the blue light interferes with my ability to fall asleep. Much like a phone or tablet screen, TVs produce mostly blue light. Unlike tablets or phones, however, TV setting typically cannot be adjusted to be more red or dimmer, which is easier on the eyes. The excess blue light often keeps me up, even when I take melatonin.

Plus, Xmerian has a good point. It costs way too much money to be doing that!
    I'm trying to move cross-country. Any expense I can cut makes it happen that much sooner!

7. brettelizabeth1

brettelizabeth1 New Member

I am certainly someone who cannot go to sleep with a television on. The sound and light will keep me up. Perhaps it has something to do with my ADHD and my brain still being stimulated in the background, but i will toss and turn until the TV is off. The same goes for radios or any other sounds or lights. I am not sure why I even remember this, but when I was in elementary school I was at a slumber party, and my friend had to sleep with the TV on. That was by far the worst slumber party. There is nothing more agitating than wanting to sleep, and not being able to control the fact that you cannot.

ichipink likes this.
  8. Amir King

Amir King New Member

At night I turn the TV off so I get a better sleep. If I'm kipping in the daytime I might leave the TV on but on a radio channel. Music and banter helps me sleep. This is especially true with relaxing music that you get on the Magic channel.

9. Jenny

Jenny New Member

I don't sleep with my TV on and never plan to. I don't understand why someone would choose to leave their TV on by choice while sleeping. Doesn't it distract you or disrupt your sleeping? Also, what about the sound coming from the TV? For me, it would be too difficult to sleep with my TV on, mainly due to the sound. Surely radiation is bad for you too, whether you're awake or asleep, but leaving a TV on while you sleep would make matters a lot worse.

10. dddestiny13

dddestiny13 New Member

I sleep with the tv off. I have tried to sleep with it on, however, the lights hurt my eyes and the noise keeps me awake. I prefer reading before bed because it relaxes me and soothes me to sleep. Most of my family leave the tv on and claim that they can't fall asleep without it. Sometimes I do listen to ASMR videos on youtube before bed, but I never leave it on when I am asleep.

11. decemberry

decemberry New Member

I also turn off the TV before going to sleep. It saves electricity and also helps the device cool off and rest. I am from the Philippines and electricity rates are high. So most of us learned to turn off appliances when not in use. :)

12. nikiii23

nikiii23 New Member

I like my TV off. I like to sleep in a quiet and dark place. So my TV is always off. But I like to watch TV before I go to sleep.

13. OtimGeofreyn

OtimGeofreyn New Member

I like sleeping when the TV . This may causeoff Anxiety causes sleeping problems, and new research suggests sleep deprivation can cause an anxiety disorder. Research also shows that some form of sleep disruption is present in nearly all psychiatric disorders. Studies also show that people with chronic insomnia are at high risk of developing an anxiety disorder.

14. Lexi Freeman

Lexi Freeman New Member

Personally, it's easier for me to fall asleep without extra noise or light so this isn't an issue for me. However, I would say that everyone's preferences are different, and some people are comforted by the sound of other people, or they like to be able to see everything in the room. A good night's sleep is all about the balance between perceived safety and comfort.

15. Gergana

Gergana New Member

I have sleep issues and I always fall asleep watching TV series on my laptop. That helps me to fall asleep thinking of whatever I'm watching rather than running through what I need to do the next day. I know that the blue light is bad for you, but for the time being it's better than getting 3-4 hours of sleepless because I can't fall asleep. Usually, I just watch until I am really sleepy, and then shut it off. To at least slightly improve the light issue I use a computer program that dims the colors to more yellow tones after a certain hour in the evening.

Of course in the future, I would like to change my habits and find other ways to fall asleep well. But for the time being, this is what works for me.

This is a good idea actually, I didn't think that could make much of an impact of the electricity bill. Sorry, I know this is off topic, just wanted to say thank you for the idea.

16. kendyll cummings

kendyll cummings New Member

offfff dude if I wake up and I see dora the explorer on my tv in my room im going to scream that would be so freaking scary

17. ichipink

ichipink New Member

I never thought that leaving the TV on would be that bad for the health. But I am just like nikiii23.
    Like her, I also like to sleep in a dark place. I tend to easily wake up when someone turns the light on. And to avoid this from happening, I even wear an eye mask every time I am going to sleep. I feel that my sleep is more relaxed when I wear the mask.

18. Emilio

Emilio New Member

I generally always sleep with the TV turned off. Electricity is efficiently saved when the TV is turned off before sleeping. I usually don't even watch TV near bedtime because I prefer to listen to peaceful music before sleeping.

19. Aundre Saunders

Aundre Saunders New Member

I like to put my TV on sleep if it is late and I want to continue watching. Just in case I fall asleep, it will turn off on its own. I can't afford the high cost of electricity for playing TV overnight, especially if nobody is watching it. Now think about the non-renewable resource, oil! We need to conserve not just for our pockets also because we need oil to last as long as possible in our existence as a human species. The TV also will cause you to wake up before being completely rested. It is better to turn the TV off when going to bed.

20. Peyton

Peyton New Member

I personally will never sleep with the TV on. One reason is that it cost so much on electricity that it would boost it up too much for me to handle. Second thing is is that even if you turn the brightness down low, the light from the TV can still be very bright. The TV can also be loud and distract you from falling asleep.