IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you think it is dangerous to meet new people on the Internet?

Discussion in 'Internet' started by Ailani, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Ailani

Ailani New Member

Many websites have been made for people to be able to meet others over the internet. These include dating sites, chat rooms and even video chats with strangers on sites such as Omegle. The internet has provided a large range of ways to communicate and befriend others online.

Do you think there are issues with safety when meeting new people online?

2. Archiie

Archiie New Member

It must be made clear that we're discussing meeting people online and not meeting in real life those who we meet online.

That being settled, meeting people online can be a great and interesting experience. People from all over the world meeting one another and talking. This really is a key aspect of globalization.

Talk of danger is of course warranted but that is because of the corruption of human behavior, not that global, cross-boundary association is harmful. An adult can discern and act accordingly but I would submit no child or adolescent to such a test.

nanachan7 and Ailani like this.
  3. tusziget

tusziget New Member

I think that is not dangerous to meet new people on the internet.

There are very nice people on the internet too,all you have to do is be careful,with whom you chat,whom you trust,kind how it is in real life too.

You can meet very nice people online and become close friends too.It depends on many factors,because you cannot generalize,that there are only nice people on the internet or it is dangerous to meet new people online.

All you have to do is to pay attention,what kind of people are you talking too.

4. AF1013

AF1013 New Member

Meeting people face-to-face in a bar or coffee shop or anywhere else involves risk. With any interactions with someone new, you need to trust your gut instincts and pay attention to the cues of the person you're speaking with. Also remember it's more than okay to block or cut off contact with anyone whose words make you feel uncomfortable.

5. inkfish

inkfish New Member

I cannot say that meeting new people on internet is dangerous because sometimes the old faces people can be dangerous than meeting new people. Because the old one knows you well where else the new people are getting to know about you. So it depends on each individual how they present themselves (Not getting to personally involved ) to the new or the old ones .

6. Ailani

Ailani New Member

Thank you for clearing that - I did indeed forget to mention that this does not mean personally meeting up with them in real life. I would agree that globalisation has partly been brought about due to the existence of the internet. There are of course many advantages of communication online (both in the business and social worlds) but of course you make a good point about children not being able to decipher the dangers of the internet.

7. nanachan7

nanachan7 New Member

I don't think just meeting new people on the internet is dangerous. We should just be extra careful in giving out personal information. You shouldn't be too trusting. Meeting them in person is also a different story. If you really want to meet them, you can try arranging a group meetup. Bottomline is, meeting new people online or offline is okay as long as you know your boundaries and respect each other. :)

Lioniixx piixx likes this.
  8. Taker997

Taker997 New Member

Meeting new people on the Internet is a great and interesting experience, especially if you manage to make friends. I have a lot of internet friends and a couple turned into real life friends. This only happened after I knew them online for a lot of time and I saw on their Facebook they were not bad people. You should always watch out because the Internet is a huge place that involves all kind of people, and even an Internet friendship can become dangerous if someone starts asking for personal info all of a sudden.

9. Lioniixx piixx

Lioniixx piixx New Member

I don't think nor presume that meeting people online is more dangerous to meeting people in real life, since at the end of the day you really have no understanding of the person's personality nor their intentions, therefore you are ignorant of them in each of the occasions, but i have to agree with he others that it's necessary to be cautious when meeting people online or even listing your information to them because even if you might not be in physical danger you could be a victim of identity fraud, so always be careful and weary.

nanachan7 likes this.
  10. huggy212

huggy212 New Member

I found out that internet is full of strong personality people and you will not know their real personality until you meet them personally and hang out with them for some time. Meeting unknown person you meet from the internet poses lots of risks specially if you are female. Everyone must proceed with extreme caution when meeting someone from the internet. I am not saying that everyone from the internet is bad people but for your personal safety always meet on public places and bring someone with you.