IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you think it is possible to stay calm in all situations?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by ray, Jan 12, 2016.

?

Remaining cool is possibler

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. ray

ray New Member

You know there is no logic left when someone is in angry state of mind. They say a person reaches to the stage of perfection once he wins over his anger. A person forgets all about reasoning in angry state of mind.

We cannot say for sure whether our claims for being reasonable are wrong or right but we can prove beyond any doubt that we behave better while in a peaceful mood. Do you think it is possible to remain calm and cool forever?

2. meerasandhya

meerasandhya New Member

Definitely not, in the case of normal persons like me and you! But it’s possible for the case of yogis and spiritual leaders who have a great control over their senses. As a normal human being I show emotions which include sadness, anger, despair and happiness. It is true, patience can be a right solution to many of our problems, and it may give good reputation in the society he lives. But we can’t close our eyes to every bad situation around us and sometimes we need to respond, of course for a good cause. Often suppression can lead to destruction later.

bretthuda33 likes this.
  3. bretthuda33

bretthuda33 New Member

4. bella556

bella556 Member

I do think you can be reasonable when things are moving at a fast pace. Being angry can be a choice when the person is not getting the understanding needed to their needs or not being listened too by family,spouse or friends.

5. Sandy

Sandy New Member

It is said that ‘you can’t see your reflection in boiling water’, similarly, when a person is boiling with rage, he will not be having control over his senses, and he can cause damage in the fit of rage.

Anyway there is a way out, and that is practicing of self restraint. In order to attain such level of keeping cool under all situations one must accomplish control over not only on anger, but also, must accomplish control over his other sensations like emotion, temptations, desires and egotism, because these are the obsessions that causes disappointment in a person’s life and ultimately such disappointment may result in anger or fury.

Many religions like Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism etc, will preach their own methods of achieving such control over sensations. It is left to the person to choose appropriate method to achieve his goal.

6. HappyKoi

HappyKoi New Member

I don't think it's reasonably possible, and I don't think staying calm is always the best response. If there is an emergency, a fire for instance, it's a good idea to sound alarmed! "Fire!" works better to alert people than, "Excuse me, I don't mean to interrupt, but I think the building is ablaze." Like anything else, it's a question of where and when. There are times when keeping calm will help, and there are times to get aggressive or upset. The fact is that emotions are one thing, and what you choose to do with them is another. It's okay to be angry or fearful, but you can decide what actions you want to take based on those feelings.

7. ahtishamzx

ahtishamzx New Member

In my point of view like,"All fingers are not same"
    Every person have its different anger level some of them high anger level they cannot stay calm in some situations where as some people have low anger level and they stay clam in some situations.I think I can easily stay calm in every situations cause in that situation I'd like to silent and keep thinking what to do now and I do not panic

8. harijobs

harijobs New Member

I think it entirely depends on how we see the situation. If we see it as a big problem and keep thinking about it, we will not be able to come up with a solution as there is a famous quote by Brucelee,"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing you will never get it done." So instead of getting worried or angrier upon the situation it is clever to stay calm and deal with the problem much easier. :)

9. princecharles

princecharles New Member

This is easiest thing to do in this world,as human beings its normal to be angry yes, but again its so normal to control yourself. This is not something soo hard to do,no you can be perfect in dealing with all situations in a calm way and only starts from giving it a try.Remember all achievements in this world starts with a a thought to try.
    set your mind right and say,"I want to deal with everything in this life with love".After all it does someone good to be furious,

10. MA Fresia

MA Fresia New Member

It is possible to remain calm in all situations. It may not be probable in a less-than-perfect world. Outside of a perfect world, there are situations that are considered outrageous and are certainly deserving of righteous anger. There are potentially emergent situations that require urgent action. I don't think very many people can say they are completely unaffected by those conditions even if they can remain calm on the exterior, or take appropriate actions without losing their tempers or ability to effect a reasoned response.

I suspect that those who remain calm and objective in those situations have in addition to some training, an external or internal, maybe supernal, assurance beyond themselves in terms of a sense of perfect justice being inevitable. Those who tend not to remain calm under any and all circumstances probably have less external assurance, and feel a sense of personal responsibility to take action to change the circumstance.

11. MA Fresia

MA Fresia New Member

I love the quote. There is so much truth to it. However, at the same time, we know that feelings tell us something about what is happening in the external world around us, and I don't think they should be entirely dismissed or ignored. They should be processed, I think, in the light of reason, but not eviscerated, which in many cases the movement to control emotions tends to advocate in practice. To be able to process the feeling response is as important as controlling it and directing it to a constructive end. Rather than, "Don't become angry, concerned, or saddened" the advice might be "Understand why you're angry, concerned, or saddened and do something positive and constructive to address the cause." Too often, the advice to control comes across as "Don't have any feelings." To be able to say, "I have anger, concern, sadness," is a form of self awareness and control because we recognize that feelings are things we have if we are living, breathing, compassionate individuals and societies with a conscience. We ought to be saddened by misfortune, angered by injustice, and if we become indifferent, I think we have lost something vital to what it means to be decent. When that happens then alienation, not uncommon in the kind of militarization that produces cold killers, is a potential result.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  12. Terry

Terry New Member

Whеn yоu'rе nоt саlm, yоu'rе rеасting. Mоrе spесifiсаlly, yоu'rе rеасting tо sоmеthing thаt tоuсhеs оn fеаr оr insесurity (wоrriеd аbоut sоmеthing bаd оr dеfеnding yоur еgо), аnd thаt's slipping in аhеаd оf yоur lоgiсаl thоughts. Thаt's а thоught hаbit. Yоu dо it bесаusе yоu'vе bееn dоing it, аnd yоu саn сhаngе it with sоmе mindfulnеss - it's еаsiеr with а littlе hеlp frоm а friеnd оr соnfidаnt, if оnе is аvаilаblе.

Thе hаrdеst pаrt is lеаrning tо stоp yоursеlf bеfоrе yоu gеt jаmmеd up. Thеrе's аn оppоrtunity tо tаp thе brеаks whеn distrеssing things аrisе, аnd yоu nееd tо pаy аttеntiоn аnd lооk fоr it. Prасtiсе "tаking а stеp bасk" аnd thinking аbоut whаt's hаppеning in yоur hеаd vs. whаt's асtuаlly hаppеning in thе wоrld.

Kronnoz likes this.
  13. Kronnoz

Kronnoz New Member

I think it's a very subjective question, each person has a different limit. In addition, each day we are subject to new experiences, good or bad, that can inflame our mood even in the long run. What I can say is that I believe that a person can condition his mind to keep his thoughts as calm as possible.

14. 2Robert

2Robert New Member

Rеmаining саlm is аll аbоut hоw yоu саn lеаrn tо mаnаgе yоur strеss. Thе rеаl triсk is nоt lеtting strеss bесоmе thе nеw nоrmаl in yоur lifе. Withоut аn асtivе plаn оn hоw tо hаndlе yоur strеss, yоu'll bесоmе ассustоmеd tо it аnd it соuld bеgin tо соntrоl yоur lifе. I find it bеst tо hаvе а plаn in plасе. Whеn а strеssful оr diffiсult situаtiоn соmеs up, yоu will wаnt tо hаvе а gо-tо sеt оf асtivitiеs in plасе thаt yоu knоw will wоrk fоr yоu