IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Does Paying Tithes In Church Really Make Things You Pray For Come?

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by Dinbanks, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Dinbanks

Dinbanks Member

Although I was raised as a Christian this is one of many things in the bible I have an issue with. Church leaders are so fast in encouraging (and sometimes downright demanding) their members to give 10% of their paychecks and then some in order to see blessings in their lives. I believe that anything you want in this life you can have if you consistently focus on what it is you want, believe without doubting that you can have what you want, and live your life as if you already have it.

I have been on both sides of this coin and the latter is what I have chosen to put into practice in my everyday life and it works! So as far as I'm concerned if it ain't broke don't fix it lol!

What do you think about the concept of paying tithes?

2. Underdog

Underdog New Member

People are free to do with whatever they want with their own money, but things like this are just basically conning gullible people out of their cash. Just really, really hoping for something to happen doesn't make it happen - not even if you finance some pastors' sports car or wine cellar.

3. KittenErnst

KittenErnst New Member

Huh? Is that what paying tithing was for? Ohh! My religion (probably because it's not tied with churches) doesn't require any kind of tithing in order for blessings to happen or prayers to be answered. Technically speaking, there can be offerings made, but that's more to appease the Gods than it is to profit an organization for exchange of some holy powers or answer from above. I don't think tithing is reasonable, but hey, I don't think many religious-related things are.

4. zarag8w

zarag8w New Member

I believe in tithing. To someone who believes in the Bible, tithing is not a concept - but a command from God. One has to believe that everything on Earth is from God (talents, wealth, etc.) and is to return part of it to the One who made it (the true owner). But I understand that it's because we are the ones toiling, doing the hard work, it can't be helped but to feel possessive of the fruits of our labor. Thus, the giving part back becomes an issue. More so because some churches use this command of tithing to their 'own' advancement rather than to 'build God's kingdom'. There lies the difference.

But please, it is NOT a requirement in order for prayers to be granted. There's a whole lot of falsehood in this teaching. Prayer is a heart issue and not a financial one.

5. Akoria

Akoria New Member

Sure. It does. It is a way of telling God "Father, I am loyal. I am paying my depths, please yield to my cry". And talking from experience, it works.

6. OliverJason

OliverJason New Member

Only people who does not truly know the Bible would disagree in the concept of tithing. Tithing is not based on a human mind just to get any benefits from the Church members but it is a mandatory order from God that should be followed. Tithing is an act of obedience and a genuine gesture of praise and worship to God; it is also one way of bringing back the honor and glory towards God as you give to Him what is rightfully for Him.

In fact God does not need your money when you are tithing, simply because He is God! Everything that was created came from Him, even your million dollars in your bank account is still from Him, and you owe it to God. Tithing is also a way where God tests our hearts if we would obey Him or not, if we would choose to selfishly keep our money and just disobey Him.

Here are some verses that will greatly educate you about tithing:
    1. Malachi 3:8-12
    Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
    Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the Lordof hosts. And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the Lord of hosts.
    2. 1 Corinthians 9:7
    You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. "For God loves a person who gives cheerfully."
    3.Proverbs 11:24
    One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want.
    4.Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”
    5.Mark 12:41-44
    And he sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the offering box. Many rich people put in large sums. And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny. And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.”
    6. Proverbs 3:9-10
    Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your produce; then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will be bursting with wine.
    7. Leviticus 27:30-34
    Every tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the trees, is the Lord's; it is holy to the Lord. If a man wishes to redeem some of his tithe, he shall add a fifth to it. And every tithe of herds and flocks, every tenth animal of all that pass under the herdsman's staff, shall be holy to the Lord. One shall not differentiate between good or bad, neither shall he make a substitute for it; and if he does substitute for it, then both it and the substitute shall be holy; it shall not be redeemed.” These are the commandments that the Lordcommanded Moses for the people of Israel on Mount Sinai.
    8. Genesis 14:20
    And blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand!” And Abram gave him a tenth of everything.
    9. Deuteronomy 14:22-29
    You shall tithe all the yield of your seed that comes from the field year by year. And before the Lord your God, in the place that he will choose, to make his name dwell there, you shall eat the tithe of your grain, of your wine, and of your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and flock, that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always. And if the way is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, when the Lord your God blesses you, because the place is too far from you, which the Lord your God chooses, to set his name there, then you shall turn it into money and bind up the money in your hand and go to the place that the Lord your God chooses and spend the money for whatever you desire—oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household.

7. happycow

happycow New Member

Oliver has answered the question more thoroughly than I ever could. I'll just throw my opinion on here. I don't think you should be paying tithes in exchange for anything. Tithes should be paid because of love for God, not because it may or may not be used as a bargaining tool.

8. April mccaskill

April mccaskill New Member

Uh no. Look tithing was done away with along with the Levitical priesthood. Tithes were only to be paid to the levitical priest. Now you should tithe yourself. He doesn't want your money he never did. You are the biggest sacrifice or tithe that can be made. Yahuah's son Yahusha gave his life so that we might have right to the tree of life he sacrificed for us. You just have all these prosperity preachers that want fat pockets and the people want money so instead of doing what the bible says
    and searching the bible thy just listen to the preacher that tells them to run around the mailbox 7 times and they will have the blessings. That's crazy If you truly want everlasting life you have to work for it. You have to be the tithe. Do the work.