IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Favourite Milk Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Health' started by lludawg, Jul 2, 2015.

1. lludawg

lludawg New Member

I am allergic to dairy so I have to drink milk alternatives. There are so many different alternatives to choose from. I have had almond milk, soy milk, rice milk, and coconut milk.

My favourites are probably coconut milk and soy milk. If you have not tried these two before, I recommend you try them! I have also heard of potato milk but I have not tried that yet. Has anyone here had potato milk before?

Do you drink milk alternatives? If so, let me know which ones you love.

2. Helen

Helen New Member

I'm not allergic to milk but I have actually tried some alternatives. I believe it's nice to try out new things from time to time. I have tried both almond and soy milk.

My favourite out of the two is definitely almond milk! I feel it just has a nicer texture and is less thick than soy milk, making it much easier to consume.

I have heard of coconut milk but have never had the chance to try it. I might give it a go now that you've listed it as a favourite.

I haven't had potato milk before but it sounds a little weird. I think I might pass on that one.

3. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 New Member

I am now part of the lactose intolerance club. I have found a new appreciation for almond and soy milk. Almond milk is my favorite alternative. I have found it to be just as great as regular milk. I am thankful for these alternatives because they help relieve a lot of discomfort.

4. gohiro tama

gohiro tama New Member

5. Bruce Austin

Bruce Austin New Member

Although I'm not lactose intolerant, but I can say something, people often drink milk for calcium and protein than milk provides, it's okay you take soy milk but if you should drink lactose-free milk ,it would be great, and if this is not possible do not forget to add your tooth calcium-rich foods

6. cheryl

cheryl New Member

I don't drink dairy either. I drink either almond milk or soy milk. I have tried coconut milk but didn't like it as much as the almond milk. I even like the dark chocolate almond milk. It taste just like milk to me. I don't really notice a difference. I guess I have just became so used to it now.

7. jeanette havekotte

jeanette havekotte New Member

Soy milk should definitely not be on the list of good alternatives for cow milk. Mostly the beans are genetically modified and very harmful for your health. I am very happy I can drink normal milk, but I am aware we should not drink too much of it. Humans are the only mammals that consume milk after growing up. Goat and sheep milk can be super tasty and less people are sensitive for them. I find almond milk quite pricy.

8. Gemini8787

Gemini8787 New Member

I've tried almond milk, coconut milk, and soymilk in chocolate and vanilla, and I like the taste of all of them. I think they are easier on my stomach than cow's milk, and I would likely just drink one of these alternatives if my dad didn't always buy cow's milk. This is the first time I've heard of potato milk, but I'd be open to trying it. I'm wondering if it will have a grainy, potato-like texture to it or if it will be smooth because I don't think I would enjoy the grainy texture.

9. Isaiah Guto

Isaiah Guto New Member

@lludawg- I'm not allergic to dairy milk, but I like soy milk because of health reasons. I want to give you one advantage of soy milk. It has low sugar content compared to cow milk. Cow milk contains about 12 grams of sugar per cup while soy milk has 7 grams. It has been proven that soy milk has got 80 calories equivalent to skim milk.

10. KirbysMomma

KirbysMomma New Member

My husband is lactose intolerant and has been for some time. He can drink soy milk, almond milk and a product called Lactaid. He drinks alone on occasion, puts them in his coffee and also eats cereal with them. So far, he has felt a lot better since he is no longer consuming regular milk.

11. Isleide

Isleide New Member

Coconut milk is my favorite. It works great in cooking, baking, smoothies, and just a plain refreshing drink. I love making dairy free bread with coconut milk and coconut oil, instead of butter. It comes out so nice in a bread machine.