IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

First Impression is the Last Impression

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Alyssa, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Alyssa

Alyssa New Member

Dr. Daniel Kahneman, a famous psychologist once stated that "If people are failing, they look inept. If people are succeeding, they look strong and good and competent. That's the 'halo effect.' Your first impression of a thing sets up your subsequent beliefs. If the company looks inept to you, you may assume everything else they do is inept.” How we look, what we say and what we hear becomes the foundation of how a person perceives us and how we perceive them. The first impression has a lasting effect and eventually becomes the last impression.

What is your take in this?

2. Mr.Lewis

Mr.Lewis New Member

The first impression is the last impression only in certain specific circumstances. This type of circumstance is also known as the singular threshold or as I like to call it, the closed jar circumstance. This is when a person or group of people are only exposed to one story or event, the examples of which Alyssa posted are of the singular threshold circumstance.

When we look at multiple thresholds or when people are exposed to multiple events and circumstances, the first impression may not be the last impression. For example, when your boss yells at you during the first day of work and then treats you with dignity and respect for the rest of the year, it simply means that the first impression is a misjudgment and the true impression that the boss leaves upon you is how he or she treated you with kindness for the rest of the year. In simpler terms, never judge a book by its cover.

3. MelanthaKrasos

MelanthaKrasos New Member

First impression last.

That sounds like an advice by a friends or mentor whenever you meet new people or apply for a job. While at some point it may remain true, part of it just doesn't add up that much. I believe that we should not judge a person based on our first impression. A detailed analysis of a person character cannot be determined by a few good minutes or hours we had been with them. It entails a long journey of different circumstances to measure a man's character. I personally doesn't want to judge someone by first impression. Most people I meet who tends to be strict and hypocritical ends up to be a good person in the long run.

4. Obalade Damilola

Obalade Damilola New Member

First impression matters a lot.That's why I always advice people to be on their best behaviour when meeting new people or going for interviews.Impressions form views about people.

Although I have come to learn that one should not be quick to judge people but in the world that we live in,people will always use that first impression to form views about you.