IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Have you ever Geocached?

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Wikdfury, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Wikdfury

Wikdfury New Member

Has anyone here tried Geocaching?

Geocaching is a worldwide treasure hunt. You can get clues and GPS coordinates online to find hidden treasures all over the world. The site has become so popular that you may find there are dozens of hidden caches near your home.

When you find a cache you have to log it online and usually you remove the item that you find and replace it with something else. Some of them are specific to what you are allowed to leave like DVDs but many are just little trinkets you share for fun.

You can also register a new cache location if you want and watch others log when they find it.

Overall it's a fun game to play and if you have not heard of it I really recommend checking it out this summer.

thebindicator and KenBrace like this.
  2. lion

lion New Member

I haven't, but I learnt about it a few summers ago and it seemed very interesting. I didn't do it due to not really having a GPS though, and it's just slipped my mind since. Now that you've reminded me, though, I might just have to try it out soon, if not this weekend... The weather has been quite nice recently, so there's nothing to lose. I'll just have to find some trinkets to leave.

3. TaylorMade

TaylorMade New Member

I used to take my children out Geocaching all the time. I was surprised at how many were actually hidden right around my own neighborhood! It was so much fun, especially on a beautiful day. The kids loved it because they were on a treasure hunt, I loved it because we were getting fresh air and solving riddles.

4. burrdun

burrdun New Member

I found it really boring! But I live in a boring place and there wasn't much on the Geochaching app locally. Perhaps I should look again, it was a few years ago and geocaching has taken off a bit more since then.

What kind of things do people place and find when doing it?

5. KingInfo

KingInfo New Member

I have found quite a few before whilst walking, but never on purpose. They have usually been boxes with books and photos in that people have wanted to share.

6. thebindicator

thebindicator New Member

This sounds very interesting but this is honestly the first time I've heard of Geocaching. It sounds very physical and outdoorsy for someone like me who prefers to stay at home and laze around. :p If I can get a couple of friends to try this out with me, then by all means, I shall force myself to not bum around and geocache.