IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

How can live in slum areas be improved?

Discussion in 'News' started by Florence, Aug 11, 2018.

?

Does your leader represent you well

1. Not really

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Florence

Florence New Member

Having born and brought up in slum area is not easy. Have been wondering when politicians takes advantage of the slum dwellers by giving them fake promises in return of favor to be voted for. After the politician is gone live comes to normal... High theft cases poor drainage,, poor electricity wiring which poses danger any time and dirty sorrounding.

My question is, is there way slums can be dwelt with to make a better living?

2. harry_hawkeye

harry_hawkeye New Member

Improving the standard of living in slums is all about development, and development costs money. The country or state must first have enough money coming to them through revenue or commerce. Then the people must be able to hold their leaders accountable for how they spend the money that comes to them.

All they'll have to do next is convey their desire for development to be brought to the slums either through their representative or via peaceful protest.

3. johnny

johnny New Member

One of the most difficult aspects is the mentality that is there.

4. Tyi

Tyi Member

Poverty, inequity in the job market, racism, and for many an overall feeling of hopelessness plays a major role when living in slum areas. I also agree with the above writer Johnny when he spoke of the mentality of the residents who live in these areas. When I was growing up, I was taught that it's not where you live, but how you live. I believe that when people make the choice to take pride in where they live: this in and of itself can help in changing your perspective on where you live.

Parents, teach and show your children the benefits of loving your neighborhood enough to do your part in keeping it clean and presentable. Start with the area and building you live in. When you vote for your local, state, government and national officials: don't stop there, write, call and email them and let the know what you need in your community. And if you need to petition and protest, do that to. Whatever you do, make sure you are part of the solution and not part of the problem.

5. nwa1

nwa1 New Member

As others have pointed out, it's both a psychological and developmental problem.

On the psychological side, there's the stigma attached to slums and how that can affect one's mentality. The perceived need to escape from the kind of life associated with these areas can be quite damaging to young people making their way in life, thus continuing a cycle of poverty and crime that has led to these areas being the way they are. Community building is necessary to combat this second issue, while the first can be dealt with through infrastructural changes.

With general taxation the government collects some sort of income that can be put to use in improving the general quality of life in these areas, I think. Just by improving drainage and the delivery of key utilities like water and electricity can have a huge impact, not to mention other things like better schools and park areas, improved roads, etc.