IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

How do you deal with negative people?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Ari, Jun 14, 2016.

1. BMT1014

BMT1014 New Member

Since then, I was surrounded by negative people and unfortunately, these few negative people are my family. At first, it really drives me crazy and they always pissed me off. They were not really bad but every time I am doing something different, they will react negatively. Maybe they cannot understand the kind of world that I'm living since they are a very conservative type of people. Even how many times I tried to explain and make myself clear still they act negatively. There are times that I am considering to run away from home but I can't because I love them.

It's really hard to deal with negative people but I realized that whatever you do either good or bad if their thoughts of you are negative, then it will always be negative no matter what. In a long run I was used to it so no matter how negative they show me, it doesn't matter at all. I am looking in a bright side so I won't get affected.

2. LightMan123

LightMan123 New Member

There are two types of negative people - constructive and destructive.

I don't mind the constructive ones. If they can give me constructive criticism and help me to get better, I will not mind that at all. However, if their negativity is malicious and destructive, I tend to ignore them.

Dealing with negative people is like dealing with a wild bear. You should try to avoid as much as possible.

3. Lissiel

Lissiel New Member

Negative people indeed can pull you down. They always see the ugly side of every story and they always find a reason to be negative. They spread an unwanted energy to us and it can spread to other people.

I deal with them by understanding them why they become negative. There will always be a reason why they turned out to be like that. Not all people are optimistic, there will always be negative and that's something we need to accept. Instead of trying to pull me down, I'm trying to pull them up. I will spread my positive energy instead.

4. Eli

Eli New Member

Just because someone is your family does not mean you can't distance yourself from them. This took me a long time to learn, and it cost me. My family puts a lot of pressure on me, and they're draining to be around. It took a long time, but I finally realized I needed to be frank with them. I told them how I was feeling, and started spending less time with them.

They were hurt at first, as you would expect them to be. However, spending time away from them has made them more tolerable. I think we have both learned to respect each other more, and our relationship is starting to grow again because of that. It's hard to do at first, but if they truly love you, they'll understand that you need some time to figure things out and take a break before coming back to them. I wish you all the best.

5. Amanda M

Amanda M New Member

This is a tricky question. As you said, negative people are highly toxic. I do prefer to avoid them altogether, but sometimes that's not possible.

As for my own family, none of us really talk anymore and that's not necessarily by my choice. My whole family has had a giant rift since I was young. My attitude, however, is that if they don't want to be part of my life, I don't need them.

I like to surround myself with people who want to be there, and my close friends are more my family than my family ever has been.

If I have someone negative in my life that I really can't get rid of, I'd confront them and tell them exactly how they make me feel, and why I don't like being around them.

That said, we all have a bit of negativity in our lives and it's irritating, but we just have to handle it the best we can.

6. Angelixx26

Angelixx26 New Member

Being with negative people is exhausting. They are like soul suckers who will drain all the positive energy you have. For me the best way to deal with the negative people is to get rid of them but this does not apply to every situation. If we cannot avoid being with negative people, I suggest the best thing to do is just ignore what they do and say. Do not let negative people ruin your day or affect your positive disposition in life. In the end, what matters more than the stimulus itself is the reaction to stimulus which we can control.

7. juttara777

juttara777 New Member

I think the best way to deal with the negative people around us is to be very positive in our approach while tackling them. Negativity is often generated by persons who have lost hope in their life and they can't stand the fact that others are racing ahead rapidly and achieving success. A person can often become negative or cynical due to some adverse circumstances that he or she may have to encounter in their life.

It's always better to ignore if a person is trying to purposely instigate you to give a reaction. If you get angry and respond to them then they will get an opportunity to aggravate the situation. On the other hand, if you remain calm and composed then they will definitely get the signal and probably stop their negativity'

If you remain calm and try to gently convince the person to stop whatever he or she is doing, then you may eventually be able to win the battle. I think that it is always better to tackle negativity with a positive approach.

8. Tyi

Tyi Member

First of all, I believe that people will only do to you what they are allowed to do. If you let someone "piss on you and call it rain", they will continue to do so. We all have a choice as to what we can and will tolerate. I have great admiration and respect for people who choose to be their authentic self no matter who likes it or not. Negative people are usually the ones who walk and live in fear, anger, resentment, bitterness, self -hatred and ignorance. Unfortunately, ("MISERY LOVES COMPANY") and you are not obligated to entertain any of it. My advise is to keep living the truth of who you are and were created to be and just maybe the haters can see the possibilities for their own lives.

9. Lancelot

Lancelot New Member

Kill them with kindness and avoid making some arguments with these people instead give them some compliments about the things you think they did good. Negative people like to rant and its very important to listen them compassionately, just by listening on their side you have the chance to disrupt the negative ruminations by telling some funny shows or stories, steering and changing the entire topic into more positive vibes is very important in that situation. If happens you can't handle them and have no guts to approach in a more positive way then, all you have to do is to avoid them entirely. In that way, negativity will not infect your personality.

10. axl2468

axl2468 New Member

Just ignore them. If you keep noticing their negativity and you keep getting angry or annoyed because of their negativity, then that means their negativity has been passed down to you. If they see the world in a negative light and they won't listen to you, then its their loss. Keep ignoring them and stay positive.

11. Babysudzz

Babysudzz New Member

How I deal with negative people is simply by not dealing with them at all. They do not phase me. Whenever I sense negativity I subtract myself from the equation. However, if it is someone or something I have to deal with I try my best to make sure they do not cloud my judgement. If I have already given them advice and they can only see the bad in the situation I've done all I could do. I really can not stand negativity, so I just do not deal with it...simple.

12. irina

irina New Member

Be annoyingly positive. Or, when they say 'I don't like this' say, 'Yeah but you don't really like anything.' One time I was being negative and didn't realize it. My friend said that to me and it made me realize how awful I sounded and it wasn't in a rude way. It was more as a joke, but I never forgot it. Cut the negative people out of your life as much as you can, they're toxic.

13. Scott Watson

Scott Watson New Member

Well, in my case, I would have to reject part of the question's premise. To salvage my mental health, I had to disown my family and put considerable distance between me and them. This required getting an out-of-state job and scraping up enough money to move myself and my belongings to a new state, but it was worth it in the end.