IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

How do you find new music?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ellie, May 1, 2015.

1. Ellie

Ellie New Member

I was wondering how do you find new music to listen to, or do you only listen to new albums released by certain composers/bands?

I don't listen to the radio, I have never really liked it and I've not yet found a station I actually like listening to, so I tend to use the options within iTunes and Amazon where it tells me about what other customers have purchased that is similar to what I was looking at as well as the option where it tells me about bands/composers that are similar to the music I have already purchased. I find the 'listen to a sample' option really useful and often sit and listen to sample albums through iTunes or Amazon MP3 store. It will play the first 30 seconds or so of each track on the album and I can usually work out if I actually like it from there. I have found several new bands & composers this way.

The only other way I find new music is when I have watched a film and really liked the soundtrack. I will then go out and purchase the CD/digital copy of the soundtrack, which ever is the cheapest.

So how do you find new music?

2. dragonslayer

dragonslayer New Member

My way of finding music has changed throughout the years. I hate radio also because they overplay the same song over and over.
    When I first got a computer and a modem, I downloaded mp3s on different sites and mIRC. Of course, I was one of those banned by Metallica on Napster too. When Pandora became available, I began to listen to that more, but I was unhappy with the international music selection there that I could still get with mp3s. I switched to last.fm, but then I could no longer listen to them on my phone. But last.fm helped me discover even more bands than I ever found on mp3. Then Spotify came along, and they have a huge selection of international music that I'm in love with. I listen to it all the time now!

3. Lee Ann

Lee Ann New Member

I mostly use youtube. On occasion in the sidebar I might see a video or band name pop up that looks interesting. I check it out and either like it or hate it. Other times I may type in something like "New Indie songs April 2015" just as an example and sometimes list and things to show up. Also word of mouth can be another great way.

4. LaTavia McQueen

LaTavia McQueen New Member

Depending on the type of music you like to listen to, there are various websites that allow you to find new music daily. Hotnewhiphop.com is a website that constantly updates music from new artists as soon as it's released. I would suggest you actually search for new music on google and see what websites you come up with. Otherwise you can follow your favorite artists on social media and check on them to see if they posted something new. Pandora is also good at suggesting new music for you to listen to based off the artists you like.