IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

How do you teach yourself what you don't know?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Espi, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Espi

Espi New Member

This has been a major problem for many people. If you do not have access to sources of education because of the cost, how to do teach yourself what you don't know?

Not being able to access education doesn't even have to be the problem, I just want to know how one can generally follow a path to knowledge generation if they don't know where to start.

2. paoliita

paoliita New Member

I believe the Internet has made much simpler and more complicated at the same time life. But one of the main advantages it has is access to learn things you might not even and formal education could teach you, some people are more curious than others and are interested in various topics that are not discussed in school, others simply have difficulty school and may improve with tutorials found on the Internet, and even if any had no education can start from scratch (only know how to read and write). In summary, with internet.

3. rbj8611

rbj8611 New Member

The majority of things that I don't know, I research on the internet to learn. It's great that we are at a point in time where there are answers to so many questions and problems, right at your fingertip. This method of learning may not work for everybody because it's very hard to distinguish what's factual information and what's not now days. Luckily, I've been using the internet for at least 20 years now, so I have some experience at pointing out real from fake.

4. islamkhalid

islamkhalid New Member

Now, through the Internet, you can learn what you want easily, there is no longer a matter is difficult. There are a lot of free and paid sites and educational tools on the Internet you can take advantage of them

5. Ari

Ari New Member

As everybody already said here, when you don't have access to expensive sources of education,the main source of knowledge is certainly the Internet. Nowadays you can have Internet on your smartphone at cheap prices.
    On the Internet you can have access to any type of information you desire, whether you want to learn more about science or to find out the source of a physical pain. You can also find ebooks to download for free.

6. Tripidate

Tripidate New Member

Most of the replies above talk about using the Internet, but that to me isn't an effective way of learning. The simplest way I can think of is just go out and get hands on with what you need to know. Curiosity works wonders when you let it lead you places. Even testing things that you think you already know might show you something new that you hadn't known before.

7. clbclass2003

clbclass2003 New Member

As my nephew tells me "You can learn anything on YouTube." I think having access to the internet is the best way you can learn anything. However you can also learn new things by exploring and reading books. If you don't have access than going to a library would solve your problem.

8. JGSparrow

JGSparrow New Member

Sometimes, I go to the library and search for it. But most of the time, I use the internet to search for information. Wikipedia and Wikihow are some examples of the sites I use.

9. Tyi

Tyi Member

Ever since I can remember, I have always had a thirst for knowledge. I just wanted to know. As a child, my favorite hangout spot was the library. I learned how to use all the resources that were made available to me. As I got older and technology advanced, recreational centers, the library, the boys/girls clubs taught computer skills. I feel that if you really want to learn a new skill or advance in a particular subject, you can.

I love to crochet. I am also learning to knit and later on, I will take up sewing. YouTube has introduced me to so many hands on sights. I can watch and receive step by step instructions on how the different stitches are made. I can only imagine what YouTube will introduce me to when I began to sew. I am so excited.

10. NIck

NIck New Member

First of all, I search for that thing on Google, Wikipedia or Wikihow. These are the best source of learning I have ever had. Because it is free of charge and will give you the true knowledge. Also, a Library can be a good source to learn something you want, but google is faster than that.

11. abonnen

abonnen New Member

I feel like there are many ways to learn new things and knowledge, especially in this day and age. One way I learn new things is by reading books, books are a great source for knowledge and the best thing with a library card they are free to rent. I also use the internet to look up things I want to learn more about and expand my knowledge. The last way I educate myself is to learn from others, this is my favorite way to learn new things is engaging in conversations with other that have expertise that I do not have.

12. Tyi

Tyi Member

Now, when I am doing research for projects and school papers, I tend to stay away from Wikipedia. Also, our instructors prefer that we don't use it because they tend not to update their information fast enough. However, I understand that they are getting better about updating. I do check it out from time to time.

13. Browncoat

Browncoat New Member

That's a good question. I'm teaching myself what I can through books (from the library) and reputable online courses. Have you checked out Coursera.org? They have free online classes that are offered through different universities. They don't count for credits towards a degree, but if you're just looking for knowledge it's really helpful.

Wikipedia can sometimes be helpful, like when I'm reading up about TV shows or movies. But if I'm looking up something like how to properly lower the pH of my garden soil, well I'm going to consult my gardening books or talk to a garden center clerk.

14. Tyi

Tyi Member

I have never heard of Coursera.org before. I'm going to give it a shot and see what it's about. Thank you.

15. Tyi

Tyi Member

I have read and agree with what I have read thus far. There is one thing for sure that I have learned about people; people do want they really want to do. I still believe that when an individual has a true thirst for knowledge, no one will have to bring it to them, they will seek it out. The R&B singer James Brown said "Open the door and I'll get it myself." The good thing about opportunity is, it will always be available. Sometimes the challenge might be, will you recognize it and accept it when it shows up?

16. trenee

trenee New Member

I believe that the best way to learn something that you don't know is to ask someone who does know. Have you heard the phrase "it's not about what you know, it's who you know?. That usually applies when trying to obtain a job, however, it can also apply to anyone who can provide their expertise on a subject matter that you are interested in. You may want to try volunteering or shadowing a person that has the knowledge that you seek.

17. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree Wongwanlee New Member

How do you teach yourself what you don't know?

The Web, my friend, the Web. Let me give you a real example. I was a programmer in my younger days. However, that was so long ago and technology has advanced so much that I have to start from zero again. I want to become a programmer again. I am in no position to attend university. So, I turned to the Web. I started by asking Uncle Google about where to start learning. After reading through the content on a number of sites, I decided that the way to go is to start with HTML. That's what makes everything visible on the Web. So the next task is to look for sites teaching HTML, for free. I found a large number of sites. I went through them and finally decided on six. After a week, I finished my basics in HTML. Next on my study plan is CSS. This is what makes things look good on the Web. After another week, I have finished my basics in CSS. Now I am on Javascript. This is what makes things happen on the Web.

How much time have I spent each day studying on my own?

About four hours a day. So I still have plenty of time to do some work online. And play World of Warcraft, of course. How much money have I spent on studying on my own? Not a cent. Of course, this doesn't include the cost of the internet connection. So is it possible to teach yourself what you don't know? Yes, of course. Just get started. That's the only way to get ahead. Just sitting there and thinking about it won't make anything happen.

18. abunae

abunae New Member

I feel the many people take the internet for granted, there is so much you can learn on the web! It's amazing that we can know find answers to our answers instantly, at the tips of our fingers. I've learnt quite a bit over the years!

The downside is that it may be difficult to gain knowledge on something that isn't very well known. Also, it may be difficult to find credible sources, meaning some information could be false. Be sure to check multiple sources to make sure information is correct!