IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

How long does it take to learn a programming language?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by yukichigo, Aug 7, 2020.

1. yukichigo

yukichigo New Member

If one were to learn a programming language, how long would it take to be good at it? More than a year? I want to learn C++ and possibly Python. Is there a significant difference in how long it takes to learn for different languages?

2. Treasure

Treasure New Member

It depends on what exactly you want to do. Do you want to be a front end or back end developer? I'll just be speaking on my standpoint anyways.

I learnt python on my own from a series of videos, books and materials I found online. When I begun I was not as invested as I should have been and would only use about two to three hours a day to practice coding. With that being said it took me several months to be an ultimate beginner. I eventually took up more interest in it hence spending more time and putting more effort into it.

If you spend about five to six hours a day in no more than eight months I gaurantee you'd be very experienced. Granted you use good source material and have a passion for it. It's something that needs constant effort and practice to become fully skilled but having the right mind I know that in no time will someone become exceptionally good at it.

3. RonDave

RonDave New Member

If you look at it my way, it takes six to eighteen hours of instructional videos to get to learn a programming language. You can get full course material from Youtube from a variety of instructors, though you may want to stay away from the ones who keep making slurping sounds with their mouths during the course of their instructional videos, as I find that irritating.

If you have a penchant to learn quickly and easily, Youtube videos are the way to go and you will be surprised at how easy it is to learn a programming language from one full course video. You can even download such material to save internet fees.

4. Vic

Vic New Member

The pace at which you learn depends on your determination, as well as the time you spent on it. I've spent approximately 4 years learning Java and Python, but I've seen my conceptual understanding of topics much more in this past year. This is a result of spending much more time on it, but also my motivation to go outside the box to research more information on the topics.

5. Jack Eilles

Jack Eilles New Member

It normally depends on how determined you are, For Example, I wanted to learn C# more than Python, I'm still learning Python but I'm already Fluent in C#, it only really took me about 6 to 8 weeks, another thing it can depend on is how complex the language is, take HTML & CSS for example, they are really the simplest languages there are, but take Java and that could take quite longer, but my advice would be to go on YouTube for tutorials or to https://w3schools.com, they've got a lot of languages to learn on that site.