IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

How many programming languages do you know ?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Aishylk, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Aishylk

Aishylk New Member

The question is in the title, and what is the one who you use the most ?

2. s5363

s5363 New Member

Objective-C
    C#

PHP
    JavaScript
    HTML/CSS

I use HTML and CSS the most I think.

3. chasmi

chasmi New Member

I am confident in HTML/CSS, C, javaScript & PHP. I also have an intermediate language in ROR(Ruby On Rails) & Java:core java. I am learning Perl.

I do have a basic knowledge in shell scripting

4. Ritesh

Ritesh New Member

Almost i know all programming languages :) just like
    C
    C++
    HTML5
    CSS3
    JS
    PHP
    Python
    and many more. I feel fun while playing with program.

5. SuperUser

SuperUser New Member

Only 4
    Html
    C#
    C
    Java
    :D will learn more if it nessesary

6. fuumarumota

fuumarumota New Member

I mainly use three programming languages Python, C and C++.

Python's strongest point in my opinion is flexibility. You can create a full blown program in minutes, it is cross platform and it comes "with batteries" (it's built in libraries can do almost everything you need, no need for any external modules unless you have very specific needs).

C language is what I use for my AVR / PIC micro controller projects. Fast and reliable, no need to use assembly language unless dealing with optimization / space constraints.

C++ is the last language I learned (and I'm still learning). The main use I give to this language is games / emulators development for Windows and Linux. It has several good graphics libraries for that purpose and it still has the speed of C, but with huge support and documentation.

7. W4tchYourB4ck

W4tchYourB4ck New Member

I know Java c++ and html I usually use Java and c++ to go with it

8. Shivam Roopam

Shivam Roopam New Member

In general a programmer really knows what they are actively using. Sure I know bits of Forth and x86 assembly language, but I haven't had to use them in years and I'll be (very) rusty. I've had experience in dozens of languages over the years but you only become competent in the ones you are actively using on a regular basis. Even more so when languages change out from under you. Look at how C has changed in the past 40 years as computers have advanced.

Whenever I run in to something I don't know off the top of my head I hit Google. Usually Stack Overflow comes through. Any competent programmer can pick up a language in a week. They are all basically logic translated to a text form. It's the underlying libraries that are the hard part. Apple, Windows, Linux, etc has all taken different methods of doing the same thing. I'm far from competent to tell you which one is better and I hardly think anyone can say that one way or the other. Everything is designed for its target users and market.

Some of the most elegant code I've ever seen was for virtual machines that didn't even exist.

9. orrezbarl

orrezbarl New Member

It looks like I will be the first to answer "one". :) Yes, I know just one programming language: Python. The main reason for such a limited knowledge is that I have started programming recently, and only in my spare time. I know that learning another programming language would help me (the more so if said language were based on a different paradigm than Python), but I think I'm still at a stage where doing little projects in Python is the most effective way to learn: as a matter of fact I'm still learning about a lot of Python features, and I guess this knowledge indirectly translates in some form of awareness of general programming concepts.

10. Shammy

Shammy New Member

Not many, I'm a begginer so I don't want to delve in too much into the languages, I would just end up getting confused and not learn a lot. I started out many months ago with HTML and CSS, it seemed like a pretty simple introduction to programming (even though they're not programming languages) and I learned a lot from building websites, I used to do design for 6 years before that though, I feel like I had an advantage.
    After experiencing with HTML and CSS I stumbled upon Javascript and jQuery and I can honestly say they're really difficult to grasp at first, but after you get the hang of it you can do simple scripts for your webpage easily. Lately I've been using the MEAN stack, which contains MongoDB, ExpressJS, AngularJS, NodeJS, and I'm struggling with it. The stack is really hard to understand and MongoDB is giving me a lot of issues, but it's just a matter of practice.

11. Omair Ahmed

Omair Ahmed New Member

At the age of only ten, I learned batch and C programming. By the age of 15, I learned JavaScript and Python. By the age of 20, I started developing games and apps based for Android, iOS, Windows etc. based on Java, JavaScript, Python, Batch, C++ etc. And now I am developing Android apps and games based on Java.

12. peter

peter New Member

I know five programming language which I commonly use in my place of work. Below are their list and how I use them.

JAVA, C and C++: I use these three languages to code for a desktop applications for users or any other program needed by a client. Depending on the requirement u will know which language to use.

HTML, CSS and PHP: apart from desktop application I use these language to design web pages and web templates according to owners requirements.