IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

How To Lose Weight Effectively

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Nichole, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Nichole

Nichole New Member

Trans fats are present in a number of processed foods, including many premade or packaged cakes, cookies, chips, and pastries. Some breads also contain them, along with some of the oils used to fry french fries and other fast foods. To identify trans fat on a nutrition label, look for "partially hydrogenated oils" on the ingredient list.

4/ Cut back on carbs where you can. Pinterest / Hannah Hossack-Lodge / Domestic Gothess Even if you're eating whole grains instead of refined ones, you should keep in mind that some researchers believe they all end up getting processed the same way. That means cutting back on any kind of carbohydrate is likely a smart move. Try swapping flour-based noodles with spiralized carrot or zucchini noodles, for example. Several studies suggest that curbing your carb intake is an easy way to help stabilize blood-sugar levels as well. And having steady blood-sugar levels — aka tight glycemic control — has been linked with beneficial health outcomes including weight loss, better energy levels throughout the day, and a reduced risk of chronic disease. "Tight glycemic control is necessary to maintain health and to prevent disease," Ellen Blaak, a professor of fat metabolism and physiology at Maastricht University, wrote in a review of studies published in the journal Obesity Reviews. Her study found links between poorly controlled blood-sugar levels and obesity, Type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.

Seven benefits of kefir Kefir is a yogurt-like drink that has experienced a recent wave of popularity. It is said to control blood sugar and cholesterol, improve tolerance to lactose, and protect the stomach. This MNT Knowledge Center article explains the potential health benefits of kefir. Read now

What happens if you fast for a day? What happens if you don't eat for a day? While most people will feel hungry and possibly tired, there is also a range of other effects. In this article, learn about how the body starts to burn fat for energy and whether fasting for 24 hours can be a good weight loss tool. We also investigate the possible risks. Read now Seven benefits of kefir Kefir is a yogurt-like drink that has experienced a recent wave of popularity. It is said to control blood sugar and cholesterol, improve tolerance to lactose, and protect the stomach. This MNT Knowledge Center article explains the potential health benefits of kefir. Read now How do I stop stress eating? A look at emotional eating when people use food to cope with emotions, such as stress. Included is detail on the causes and common triggers to avoid. Read now How much food should I eat each day? How much food a person should eat depends on their height, weight, age, sex, level of physical activity, health, genetics, body composition, and more. Read now How much fiber should I eat per day? Most Americans eat less fiber than the USDA daily recommendations suggest. This article looks at the guidelines for fiber intake in men, women, and children. We also talk about how fiber can help with weight loss, and discuss how much fiber is too much. Learn about good sources of dietary fiber and a handy meal plan. Read now

Booze delivers seven calories per gram—more than carbs and protein (four calories per gram)—without filling you up or delivering essential nutrients. And because it chips away at your inhibitions, it makes those French fries at the bar look way better, and that late-night pizza stop a go.

Include protein. It’s satisfying and will help keep up your muscles. There are vegetarian and vegan sources (nuts, beans, and soy are a few), as well as lean meat, poultry, fish, and dairy.

"I totally cleaned out my pantry. Once I replaced the foods I used to overindulge in, like ice cream, with lower-cal snacks, such as roasted sunflower seeds or Special K Chocolatey Delight cereal, I began making better choices automatically. Now, I'm slimmer than I was before I had my two kids!" —Lori Feldman, Coconut Creek, FL

Most Americans get enough protein but could choose to get it from leaner sources, so you may already have plenty in your diet. Your exact protein needs depend on your age, gender, and how active you are.

To avoid temptation, try to not stock junk food – such as chocolate, biscuits, crisps and sweet fizzy drinks – at home. Instead, opt for healthy snacks, such as fruit, unsalted rice cakes, oat cakes, unsalted or unsweetened popcorn, and fruit juice.

Be choosy about carbs. You can decide which ones you eat, and how much. Look for those that are low on the glycemic index (for instance, asparagus is lower on the glycemic index than a potato) or lower in carbs per serving than others. Whole grains are better choices than processed items, because processing removes key nutrients such as fiber, iron, and B vitamins. They may be added back, such as in “enriched” bread.

Please accept our privacy terms We use cookies and similar technologies to improve your browsing experience, personalize content and offers, show targeted ads, analyze traffic, and better understand you. We may share your information with third-party partners for marketing purposes. To learn more and make choices about data use, visit our Advertising Policy and Privacy Policy. By clicking “Accept and Continue” below, you consent to these activities unless and until you withdraw your consent using our rights request form, and you consent to allow your data to be transferred, processed, and stored in the United States.

10/ Cut back on sugar. BBQ sauce is surprisingly high in sugar. Yelp/Travis S. A growing body of evidence suggests that if there is a single villain in our diets when it comes to weight gain, it's sugar. The authors of a review of 50 studies on diet and weight gain published in the journal Food and Nutrition Research found that, on average, the more refined carbohydrates (such as sugar) that someone ate, the more weight they tended to gain over the study period. Similarly, the researchers behind a large review of 68 studies published in the British Medical Journal found that the more sugar someone consumed, the more they weighed. So cut back on sweets and start paying attention to the sugar content on the labels of processed foods — especially in sauces, salad dressings, and dairy products.