IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

I Love Crappy Movies

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Chaztastic, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Chaztastic

Chaztastic New Member

I'm a huge movie buff. Many people say that as if liking movies makes you cool. But I genuinely love movies. I will watch anything once. I especially love horror movies that have as many sequels and prequels as they can crank out. Wrong Turn, Final Destination, and Saw are just a few of my favorite collections of movies.
    But I truly enjoy bad horror movies. Those horror movies that come on at either 1 in the afternoon or 2 in the morning. You can see a boom mic operator standing in a bathroom mirror or you catch a glimpse of an out of place extra on a cellphone in 1892 in the background of a scene. I get very "Mystery Science Theater 3000" by myself, talking to the screen.
    What about the rest of you? What genre do you prefer? And what is your all-time favorite movie? Mine is a tie between Point Break and The Dark Knight.

2. dddestiny13

dddestiny13 New Member

Me too! The Shakrnado movies are awful but I love them and can't get enough of them! The acting and the graphics are awful, however, the movies are much more interesting than average shark movies.

3. mirin9

mirin9 New Member

It depends on what I want for that day. Do I feel like being intellectually stimulated on that day? Do I feel like I want to see mind-blowing special effects on that day? Do I feel like I want to be taken on a gripping, emotional ride on that day? If so, then I'm not watching a crappy movie on that day. I would watch a movie and expect it to be good. And if turns out to be subpar, then I would be disappointed.

However, there are times when I just want to fully relax and not have to be critical of what I'm watching. There are times when I just want to clear the stress and worry from my mind. Let's face it: good movies can sometimes be stressful to watch. There's a lot of adrenaline and emotions and mental work involved when digesting a good movie, and there are days when I just don't want any of that. When I want mindless entertainment, I turn to crappy movies. I enjoyed watching "The Brothers Grimsby," "Hot Tub Time Machine 2," "You Don't Mess With the Zohan," and other low-rated movies, because I didn't have any high expectations when I watched them. I just wanted to be entertained with dumb and filthy jokes.

4. Obalade Damilola

Obalade Damilola New Member

Horror movie is not my thing.I prefer a movie based on romance.I love college movies too.Any movie with a good storyline is fine with me.

We watch a lot of smut on television this days and I just pity this generation. Old movies like "sound of music"," coming to america" will always be evergreen.

5. Daniella

Daniella New Member

There are some crappy movies that are just great because they are so bad like movies that make fun of other movies. The Epic movie is one of those they will leave you laughing so much your eyes will water up. But crappy movies that well don't have a good story etc well are usually not something I enjoy too much.

6. Lexi Freeman

Lexi Freeman New Member

Oh definitely. I don't think a movie has to be high quality for it to be enjoyable. For example, there are tons of low budget movies that made it far in the box office.

Also, I think that horror movies are enjoyable, but especially bad horror movies because the logic is so much more flawed, so it's more fun to yell at the ignorant characters on screen.

7. AtzinGallegos

AtzinGallegos New Member

I'm not a big fan of horror movies because I get spooked easily but I do like supernatural themed movies as long as they're not too scary. I have a list of guilty pleassures that belong to this kind of films like: The Queen of the Dammed, the first movie of the Underworld franchise, Blood and Chocolate and The Covenant.

The last one on the list, The Covenant, is a crappy movie but it's highly enjoyable. It's one of those movies that had a story with a lot of potencial but wasn't developed properly. Some of the main characters are a little bit more than extras; the dialogue is bad (for example: "You know, girl stuff.", "Ooohhhh whitchy!", "That's what they do, you know, boys and their toys.", "I'm gonna make you my wiatch.") but it's the kind of bad dialogue that makes you laugh. And of course the actors can only do so much with what they're given so the performances are no that good, except for one.

Also, the soundtrack is outdated, even for its time. The movie was released in 2006 and the soundtrack is made of a Nu Metal/Post Grunge/Industrial kind of music that had its boom in the late 90's and very early 00's. So using that music for a movie that came out in 2006 is as if they were releasing it in 2020 and used something similar to the kind of Dubstep Skrillex played in 2012 just because it sounded edgy.

But with all this said, I really like this movie. It's a fun movie and I don't get tired of it.

8. Moldovan Eliza

Moldovan Eliza New Member

When it comes to crappy movies, one specifically comes in my mind as I saw it quite recently. The movie is called "Veronica", was released in 2017 and was directed by Paco Plaza (it was produced in Spain). What can I say about this movie is that it really differenciates from the other horror movies genre because of its scenarios and conflicts. It is a creepy psychological story about a teenager who tries to contact her dead father and ends by being pozesed and killed by a dark force.

The weirdest thing of them all is the fact that the movie actually was produced based on a true case, this is what frights me the most. How is that possible for this kind of things to happen to normal people who lives in the middle of the cities, surrounded by so many possibilities.