IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

IBS and the lack of sympathy

Discussion in 'Health' started by Sabreena, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Sabreena

Sabreena New Member

I suffer from something called Irritable Bowel Syndrome. IBS for short. For most people this an unheard of, mythical disease. They either think you're joking when you tell them you have it or just label it a 'sensitive stomach'. On top of that, it isn't life threatening or very dangerous, so that just adds more to the 'who cares' element.
    What most don't know is that well: IBS is a bitch and it can disrupt your daily life to the point of you spending half of it the toilet. It can lead to A LOT of pain and A LOT of panic attacks where one thinks they're dying or have cancer. And the panic just leads to more pain. Because, it's a cycle. Stress=IBS=Stress=More IBS. How nice, no?
    Sometimes, I would really like someone who can relate, who I can talk to. Because that just makes it all easier. So, yeah. If anyone is a fellow IBS-er. Hit me up xx

2. Murtles2017

Murtles2017 New Member

Although I don't have IBS, I do have experience with the disease through close family members, as well as healthcare experience. What I've found is I can relate to them through my own chronic diagnoses, one of which is a physical ailment and one mental health related. I cannot relate to your physical symptoms, but we may be more similar than you know.
    The struggle of those living with (and not dying from) a chronic illness/injury is the isolating factor and how alone in the struggle one feels. It can be even more isolating when you focus in on one specific diagnosis. Find the commonalities between your struggle and the struggles of those around you. Although the physical symptoms may differ, you may find strength in how similar your stories are.