IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Ideology of Nature

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by josef0000, Aug 3, 2020.

1. josef0000

josef0000 New Member

Cagayan de Oro City, Misamis Oriental, Philippines
    IDEOLOGY OF NATURE

The diverse anthology about nature in which will discuss the different views of Nature as Religious, God-seeking, and Source of life; beliefs and ideas through the wonders of nature.

RELIGOUS

Nature as religious reveals in poetry that in itself dwells into a larger and much deeper understanding whether on a political, economical or personal point of view. The thing about poetry is that it does not only apply to human emotions or feelings. Poetry not only is a mere written or verbal art. Poetry is also a form of prayer. According to Karla Quimsing:

To understand the sea in the poem is to understand that poetry is also a form of prayer. Quimsing shares a contemporary harito. The harito is an invocation or incantation to the gods. In the poem, the sea is praying to the sun. An act that shows the vulnerability of Mother Nature, as she requests for guidance and aspirations. (9)

As what Maria Victoria Beltran, a poet, fictionist and essayist would state that:

“Dancing explores several movements. It is a form of art that manifests communication and sentiments between the body and the dance...”, “Dancing is a social interaction; it is a conversation between the people and its community.”

In the work of Jean-Louis Chretien “The Wounded Word: The Phenomenology of Prayer” that talks about the meaning of prayer and the different ways of praying to God. It talks about the kinds of prayer that religious people can do in order to communicate to their God. Praying has a lot of ways in doing so. Prayer may not only mean to be vocal or mental or kneeling down or closing your eyes. Prayer can also be a form of dancing, chanting or incantation.

As what Saint Augustine does, “that one can pray with one’s body in any position whatsoever does not mean the body is bracketed in prayer and that it has no role or importance.”

GOD- SEEKING

Nature as God-seeking relates to the poem “The River Speaks” in which it invites to acknowledge God’s creation and wonders. Psalm (24:1-2) “The earth is the Lord’s, and all it contains, the world, and those who dwell in it. For He has founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the rivers.”

The structure of the poem made me imagine of it as a river that goes with the flow and together with its beauty there I see God as the face of Nature, in the lines “But I am Buluan, I am Allah, I am Libungan, I am Pulangi.” Which I believe are the names of greater beings.

This comes to show that the river as a representation of God made evident that God truly exists. Through nature God reveals in his way. According to St. Anselm’s “Proslogion” that God cannot be though not to exist. “God is that than which something greater that can be thought” and this would connect to the river as the representation of God as something greater in a sense. In which as a believer we see God in Nature. This would also generate to an idea that “God cannot be thought not to exist” all of Nature is God’s creation.

SOURCE OF LIFE

Nature is a source of life that which pertains to how we maintain and take good care of it knowing the kind of resource that it gives to mankind. Victoria Davion a professor of Franklin College stated that:

“Nature is an essential image of women in their characteristics through their femininity. On the psychological level of the woman’s body is considered to be closer to nature..., the woman’s body was designed to produce and nurture the children.”

This I would like to connect of Jose Garcia Villa’s poem “The coconut poem” which in fact elaborates the function of women as the provider, nourishment, and giver. The poem also gives an understanding that the coconut is identical as the breasts of a woman “I shall kiss a coconut because it is the nipple of a woman.” And that a coconut is a tree of life.

The nature itself acts in ways that we cannot fathom or grasp. It independently reacts in which human beings may not understand. It would also remind us of what we are doing to nature in the present time. “The sea can be good to us. But it can also be the opposite sometimes.”

Nature as whole participates in every aspect of man. It is inevitable not to think about nature for we are surrounded by it. The way we deal with nature differs on the kind of thinking or point of view that we possess in life. We are surrounded by nature and beauty itself that it encompasses the whole being of mankind.

2. Michou

Michou New Member

Truly beautifully written. Are you religious? I have not been raised religiously, but I did attend religious schools where religion was a subject. This experience allowed me to connect and respect religion in a different way. Up to this day I am not a religious person, but Indo find religion fascinating. I always thought every religion wants essentially the same thing, yet people wage war over it. I believe that religion is something beautiful and redeeming, but people embody it different than how it was meant.

Nature has always had a prominent role in my life, but I never related it to religion. I really like that point of view. Whenever I feel a little sad or stressed I always take a walk in nature. I like to look up at the trees where the sun shines on the leaves. Or listen to the birds chirping or the shuffling of feet. I find it mesmerizing to think that we are here at this particular moment in time.