IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Introversion Versus Extroversion

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by jonathscliq, Jul 29, 2017.

1. jonathscliq

jonathscliq New Member

Just like the title indicates, I would like to know how you feel being either introverted or extroverted.

What do you appreciate about it? What would you have prefered as regards either of them.

How has either of them improved you as a person? Also, what are you doing to improve yourself as it concerns the pros and cons of each of them.

nosleep3134 likes this.
  2. macdonald001

macdonald001 New Member

Well I think am more of introvert than an extrovert. Being an introvert has it's pros as well as it's cons.
    Being an introvert gives you the opportunity to have positive ideas though your social life suffers.
    As an extrovert, you have a good social life, meet people but it also gets you distracted (not being focused on certain issues) in your life.
    The best thing is strike a balance, because like there is a saying ' too much of one thing is bad'

resh_christy likes this.
  3. nosleep3134

nosleep3134 Member

Though i can be introverted nothing wrong with being a little extroverted,. Hey we all have our moments.

4. Mallory

Mallory New Member

I'm an introvert myself. Like everything, it has its pros and cons. Being in your own head a lot of the time can be pleasant, but it's definitely not great when your head isn't the best place to be. Usually it's just fine though. I have a very active imagination and I think it's because I am constantly thinking. I also believe it helps me be in with my emotions. On the downside, it makes it harder to socialize. I find social events to be very draining and I get anxiety from it. I wish I was a little bit more of an extrovert for these reasons.

resh_christy likes this.
  5. Alfaruk

Alfaruk New Member

Introversion Versus Extroversion. This topic reminds me of a book I read by Tim Lahaye "Why we act the way we do". This book discusses about temperaments. The Sanguine, the Melancholic, the Choleric and the Phlegmatic. Sanguines are extroverts while melancholics are introverts. I also read in this book that any given person possess more than one temperament although there is always a dominant one. A given person can possess as much as three temperaments at the same time but they exist in different ratio and percentages. Assuming we have a person with a temperament combination of sanguine, melancholic and choleric in the percentage ratio of 60%:40%:10%, the dominant character will be that of a Sanguine because it carries more percentage followed by that of the Melancholic. The character of the choleric may be easy to miss since it's not strong in it's expression compared to the other two. such a person described will happen to be outgoing, loud, and a good talker but such a person will often have quiet moments where they recline into their own shell.

A person with the combination of Sanguine temperament and Melancholic temperament with the percentage ratio of 50%:50% might sometimes not be easy to understand because one moment they might be displaying expressions filled with life and ecstasy and the next they're seized by a gloomy cloud that makes them lose touch with the world around them. It happens so fast they may even miss the transition. "Why we act the way we do" is really a wonderful book and it expresses in details how temperaments affects our lives during our journey on earth. I wonder if there's anyone here who has read it. If there is, do make a comment. If you haven't read it then its a good choice of book, one i'm sure you will not regret.

6. resh_christy

resh_christy New Member

I am not an introvert nor an extrovert.I am more of an ambivert. An amtbivert is a person who has a balance of introvert and an extrovert characteristics in their personality.According to me,there should not be a deep inclination towards either of them.Because,people who are too introverted or extroverted though they have their own upsides,tend to miss out on certain very important things.

UPSIDES OF AN INTROVERT
    1.Have a better ability to concentrate than the extroverts
    2.Better Self-realization
    3.Have more long term relationships
    DOWNSIDE OF AN INTROVERT
    But they tend to miss out on something big.'RELATIONSHIPS'
    As human beings it is very important to be social animals and nurture relationships,which is the essence of life.It may not be as easy as it is for an extrovert to strike a conversation or build a relationship.But it is always important to try.Not everybody will be able to talk with everybody.Even an extrovert may have hard times mingling in a social circle sometimes.When we try to mingle in a social circle,but still find it difficult to fit in, it is something natural.Then you can strongly pat on your shoulder and tell yourself that ''YOU WERE BORN TO STAND OUT''.I'm once again making an emphasis on 'RELATIONSHIPS'.We are not going to loose anything by 'TRYING'............Try and Try to socialize and work on your social skills.You will feel the joy of relationships

UPSIDES OF AN EXTROVERT
    1.Make friends easily

DOWNSIDE OF AN EXTROVERT
    Extroverts get bored easily.They don't know what it is to live in solitude.They are always seeking attention.There are many extroverts who find it hard to study,because they tend to get bored and always want to be surrounded by people.In many cases they tend to treat everybody they come across as their friends.I mean to say that they find it hard to differentiate between true and fake people.

Hence it is important to strike a balance between introverted and extrovertedness.

7. Charnell

Charnell New Member

I consider myself pretty heavily introverted. I would say that I appreciate it because I think I'm really good at being alone with myself and introspecting on how certain situations make me feel. However, a definite downside is that while I genuinely enjoy spending time with my friends/family, I can only take so much socialization before I start to feel disheveled/exhausted/uncomfortable both physically and emotionally. If I am unable to remove myself, then these negative internal feelings sometimes manifest into me coming across as angry and/or upset with those around me. I sometimes wish my social fuse was longer, and I consistently try to slowly push myself into making that a reality.

8. Amanda M

Amanda M New Member

When I was young, I used to consider myself an extrovert. However, as I've gotten older, I've realized that I'm a lot more on the fence, and a lot closer to introvert than I realized.

This is because I am very reserved around people I don't know and don't find it easy opening up to them. I can be super talkative, but only with people I know. Breaking the ice with me can be a very difficult thing to do.

At first, my husband thought I was the more sociable of the two of us, but he is much more comfortable around new people than I am. Maybe it's a weakness in some ways, but I kind of prefer it the way things are. I may have a hard time getting to know people, but once I do, I can be one of the best friends a person can have.

I also don't think it's a good idea to spread yourself too thin, so the fact that I like to keep to a smaller circle means that the ones I do let in get more of me than they otherwise would.

9. zapharia

zapharia New Member

I would call myself an introvert. Being with people drains me, and I enjoy my alone time thinking and evaluating. I think this may have to do with me growing up as an only child and being used to being left alone to my own devices. I think introversion mainly has downsides, because everything is tailored for extroverts. Everyone expects you to be outgoing and friendly, talking to everyone and wanting to be with peers all the time with no downtime for yourself. This leads to people pushing you away if you need free time to recharge, as they think you're weird and dislike them. This may be because humans are inherently social creatures.

10. mekakonz

mekakonz New Member

I am an introvert. I know this for sure, in every sense of the word and the roots of it. That said, I don't think I've always been an introvert. When I was younger, I liked to hang out with people and gained energy when I was around my friends and family. Now, though, my energy depletes itself when I'm with other people and I get shy and uncomfortable and anxious about everything. Ordering food, talking to strangers, working on group projects, eating in a room with more than maybe 2 other people, you name it - it probably makes me severely uncomfortable and sad. I don't really think this improves me too much in the sense of what people seem to want and need in this day and age. But, if I'm talking about my life goals, I think it does really help me. I can travel alone without feeling too isolated and unhappy and lonely and I can rely upon myself and my independence to keep me afloat instead of other people!

11. AliCat

AliCat New Member

I am INFJ and Introvert. Fortunately, I have had to work 10 times harder in life to succeed than the Extrovert. We live in an Extroverted society that favors Extroverts. Introverts do a lot of the innovation, creation, and are very intelligent. We play our part in the world, but it makes it difficult for many Introverts because they are the opposite of Extroverts. Extroverts love running the show, dominate, and controlling. I have had to learn to stand up to Extroverts, but at the same time, it comes with a price. Extroverts see the Introvert as the problem and issue. Rarely, do they feel they need to change or make improvements. Introverts on the other hand will adapt, adjust, and do what they need to do in order to survive.

Introverts do not like conflict, arguments, and rather stay in a peaceful environment. We often, tend to be idealists, and don't live in a ideal world, where people always hang on to values, morals, ethics, and treat everyone in a humane way.

Extroverts may not overthink, deep think, or feel as much empathy, compassion, or understanding. They tend to be more authoritarian at times, where the Introvert may be more authoritative. Extroverts might see the Introvert as week, lazy, slow, and shouldn't help everyone. This is quite a fascinating topic.

12. Reyhan Williams

Reyhan Williams New Member

I find myself a mixture of both introverted and extroverted. It depends on the situation at hand. In social gatherings I am typically extroverted and in public situations I would also consider myself extroverted. But in certain instances, I find the need to embody more introverted characteristics. I do this to get the most out of every social interaction.