IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is drinking water immediately after meal necessary or not?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Theo77, May 17, 2018.

1. Theo77

Theo77 New Member

Eating food would require enough water to lubricate it. How is it possible to eat without drinking water? Some may ask this question. But the enzymologist would depicts fault in such actions of eating and drinking water immediately.

Some may say food pressure on the oesophagus needs water. Undoubtedly true, but enzymatic activities that start from the mouth continues in the stomach. If food substances in the stomach is not digested chemically through enzymatic action, then it purpose can not be achieve.

Therefore,drinking water immediately after meal is not the best, because of the diluted action of water. Water is most abundant solvent. It effect on every substance lowers it concentration. Water do not only stop enzymatic activities but breaks the process of digestion. Water undoubtedly helps peristalsis within the alimentary canal, but it can be very unnecessary at times.

If you practice the act of eating and waiting a while before drinking water, you realised that the test of the delicious food you have eaten stays much in your mouth. It become interesting to roll your tongue up,down,left and right pull out all particles of food, thereby producing more Saliva to go down the alimentary canal (Interesting). Tell us your experience.

2. Mavic123456

Mavic123456 New Member

Actually it is just a matter of getting used to something. I mean it is habitual already that after eating there is water waiting on the table, too. It is like the "full stop" or period on the sentence. Without it, it will look like I am still waiting for some thing to eat. I told you just a matter of getting used to.

3. Abigael Jerobon

Abigael Jerobon New Member

4. Abigael Jerobon

Abigael Jerobon New Member

Hi Theo77. I have never really thought about this but now I know. This has been a mistake that needs to be corrected. We are used to serving food with water together then drink it immediately after a meal. With time, this should change for the best.

5. shaun08

shaun08 New Member

Hi. I am sure there a plenty of good reasons to have a glass of water after a meal or anytime of the day for that matter. I agree with you Mavic123456 that once it becomes a habit, it becomes second nature.

Drinking during or after a meal actually aids digestion. Water and other liquids help break down food so that your body can absorb the nutrients and you won't feel constipated. Also a good start to the day is to have a very warm cup of water in the morning which can helps cleanse your body by flushing out toxins and help you feel energized.

I usually drink tea after a meal but I guess everyone has their own tastes or routines after a meal. There are so many good habits you can learn on this forum, so what is your beverage of choice after a meal?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. Ayoma

Ayoma New Member

I had this poor habit of drinking water immediately after eating.This habit had me experience constipation especially with starchy foods. Drinking water immediately after eating slows down digestion and makes you feel full for a long time.Theo 77 I totally agree with you.

7. Vojislav Djindjic

Vojislav Djindjic New Member

Thank you Theo,

I've tried telling people about this but I always received a negative response. I don't know why but the majority of people is convinced that they should drink large quantities of water which can be harmful for the digestion as you mentioned.

The best practice would be not drinking anything at least half hour before and after a meal. This is kind of difficult to achieve but with a little self control you could get used to it in a few days as it is a matter of habit and not a necessity as many would think.

8. pinocchio

pinocchio New Member

Staying hydrated is an ongoing process, so drinking after a meal just because you have eaten (if hydration is our goal) is not necessary. It actually dilutes stomach acid and so can slow digestion. The moral of the story: listen to your body, drink when you're thirsty!

9. Eli

Eli New Member

I'm not sure if it's necessary for digestive health, but it's certainly necessary for digestive health. As @Theo77 mentioned, food particles are often left behind after a meal. While they may provide a delicious aftertaste (or an unsavory one if you're unlucky), they also wreak havoc on your teeth. The sugar in food allows bacteria to breed in your mouth and plaque to build up. This can lead to bad breath, cavities, or gingivitis. Drinking more water is something most people should do anyway, so making it a habit to drink a glass after eating is a good idea.

10. Margaret Nyambura

Margaret Nyambura New Member

Drinking water immediately after a meal is necessary because it makes it easier for food to slide down the osephagus and into the stomach. It also help move food smoothly, preventing bloating, constipation and promote the proper function of enzymes.

Research also indicates that drinking water may speed up metabolism by 24 calories for every 500ml consumed. When water is warmed to body temperature, the numbers of calories burned decreases. This might be due to the fact that, your body uses more energy to heat the cold water up to body temperature.

Drinking water with meals may help regulate your appetite, prevent overeating and promote weight loss.