IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is Education even The Key to Success today?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Dennis, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Growing up, among the very common school mottoes both in primary and secondary schools read, 'Education Is The Key to Success.' Is that really the case today? Looking at some of the most successful individuals like worlds' wealthiest man Bill Gates who dropped out of Havard University in his second year and co-found Microsoft, world class footballers and athletes just to mention a few, do we exactly need education to be successful in our modern society?

Narcos1 and jeffreyjose87 like this.
  2. Dictator20

Dictator20 New Member

Yes it is. The competition in real life now a days become more harder and harder each day, so for you to qualify to that competition you still need to finish a degree. And also I cant imagine what will happen to me if I stop studying, what will happen to my future? I cant imagine.

3. DavidK

DavidK New Member

Education is the most important thing on earth. The trick is using what you have learned to your advantage. Bill Gates used his education on programming to build his fortune. For those who made wealth through their talents and hobbies they too require a certain degree of education.

Education allows you to brand yourself since you can think on the information you have to bargain and get what is best for you without being ripped off.

4. davidwachira

davidwachira New Member

Education can only be a key to success if combined with other aspects such as emotional intelligence ,wisdom and experience. Without having the three aspects then you can have very good education and fail in life. We have very many people in our society who are well educated but they have failed and are disgrace to us. At the same time we have people who are successful in various aspect of life be it in business but have very little education or none.

We need to revise our education sector so that it inculcates various values in our people so that they can be effective.
    I have seen some schools whose graduates are always successful than others. When I tried to figure out the difference between them and other schools I realized that they are able to give various values that complement education.

5. Xpert Dyadreamer

Xpert Dyadreamer New Member

Education gives you an edge, though it's not necessarily the key to success. I believe education creates a pathway for one to expand his/her imagination and ideas.

6. Gerald

Gerald New Member

It is key to success ,lets you live a happy life,helps you live a happy life,helps you do what you love to do ,and it could possibly lead to you doing something extraordinary.

7. bill900

bill900 New Member

No, education is not the only key to success as many pioneers of great works either had little or none of it. We are so hooked up to societal expectation of us that we forget our true gifts and talents. I have no problem with education itself but with the education that is being passed over by this harsh society.

8. hirpatel

hirpatel New Member

Actually, education is not always the key to success.Many famous personalities like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are dropouts yet they achieved a lot in life.

9. deroh

deroh New Member

Yes education is actually the key to success. Statistics show that most people who are educated are the most successful. It doesn't depend on the level at which one is educated. Almost every one who is successful in life has gone through basic education. Education expands one's thinking capacity.

10. AmieBotella

AmieBotella New Member

Education is not THE key to success in terms of wealth that you're pertaining to the people you mentioned. However, education is ONE of the keys to success. Having an education opens up a lot of opportunities you can take later on as you grow up in life. Getting education is a process that will develop your perseverance to strive in anything you plan on doing in life. For me, the countless exams, home works, and projects you are required to do in school, whether they're done as a group or individually, trains you to be ready in any challenges the world will throw in your face as you strive to make a living. The famous people you mentioned that dropped out of school and create themselves a billionaire are currently in school at the time and they've seen an opportunity while in the learning system. That was a necessary path to take for them and they've opened up to the opportunity that was presented to them while studying and it has resulted in a good way for them.

We have to be open to all the possibilities so that most opportunities can come on our way. When you're just about to begin your journey in life in terms of making a living, it's not recommended to skip school just because the leading millionaires are school dropouts. Instead, do what you have to do, learn things in a traditional school, learn things in life that aren't taught in schools, and keep your eyes and mind open to all possibilities. Make everything you learn in and out of school useful in your life and you'll see that success isn't categorized that way.

11. ellalita

ellalita New Member

Yes and no. Yes, because if you are in a first world country where opportunities abound, then your chances of being successful are high. On the contrary, in the developing world, education doesn't really define your success, but rather your ability to be innovative and do something worthwhile because the ratio of skilled manpower to that of available jobs is rather absurd.

12. Eryn

Eryn New Member

I do not consider education the key to success but I do feel it is a factor. Education is a very broad term. In the United States we tend to associate college with education. It is entirely possible for an individual to achieve a college degree without gaining any knowledge or critical thinking skills. Majors with no substance and very little required effort provide a piece of paper as a diploma and very little beyond that. Choosing a major or a trade requiring more effort and actually gaining knowledge from the program is beneficial even if a future career is not in the specific field of study. True education provides the tools to think critically and make informed decisions. It is very true that entrepreneurs such as Bill Gates did not have a formal education. I feel it is important to remember Bill Gates and others like him possessed intelligence far beyond the average. Most of us are not geniuses. Truly brilliant people may be so far beyond traditional education it is of no benefit to them. I would love to possess the natural intelligence and ability of such people but I am realistic enough to realize I simply do not have such talent.

13. sager

sager New Member

Education is key, but it is not the formal education. Nowadays you do not have to be even a kindergarten graduate to get successful. It is boiled down to your skills in social life, understanding the market you aim for and following the trends you need for your growing success.
    smart people drop out not because they do not need education, but because they are learning faster, than they peers and educational institutes fail to adapt to them, or simply ignore them. And frankly, many smart people have low tolerance for following rules, kind of rooted in "I was praised as a kid" trait.

14. baasil999

baasil999 New Member

Education necessarily isn’t the key to success. However, it can give you the necessary knowledge you need for your success. So education is essential, but essential in only giving you an insight into whatever your goal is. How you achieve that, is quite different.
    No building exists without a foundation. Education gives you the bare essentials or a foundation for success and you have to build on the foundation to complete the building, i.e. reach your goal.

15. Vallary Otieno

Vallary Otieno New Member

Education is the key to success . First of all you must know that there are two types of education , that is formal education and imformal education . In both of them you must gain knowledge . When you gain knowledge then automatically you become successful in whatever you do . Education and success relate to one another . My answer is yes Education is the key to success .

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  16. Famsin

Famsin New Member

Education is not the only key to success. The door to success cannot be open with one key but many keys. However, education is very important for one to be successful, but discipline, hard work and also going beyond your comfort zone are also important.

17. jaybee19

jaybee19 New Member

Yes, education is the key to success. However, it's just one of the keys to success. Education is important because it gives you a prior knowledge about what to do and what principles you must have in order to survive the real world. It also serves as a companion to your skills and your talents. I would agree that some of the most successful people today are dropouts and did not finish their studies, however it will never be the same for all of us. They may be good with business, but not everyone is like them. And so, it's much better to study because at least you have an edge with others in the real world.

Also, nowadays, some companies (including companies which are owned by those people mentioned in this article) prefer employees who have finished their studies, because again there's an actual labeling wherein if you're not a college/university graduate you are not considered eligible for high-paying jobs in big companies.

18. aly.cam

aly.cam New Member

Education is always a factor in a person's success, though methods of achieving it may be different. Someone can only hope to grow through learning. This can be through past experiences, conversations, school, books, the internet, and many more. It is a natural human behaviour to better oneself, become more mature, and more successful as a result. Maybe traditional schooling is not necessary for success, but learning is vital.

19. rehema yeswa

rehema yeswa New Member

At some point it is, and at some point it isn't. I'm saying that because most of the people that I know of who are very very educated, most of them are out there struggling, walking from office to office with their CV,s in the name of looking for jobs to no avail. And there are some other fellows who have never gone to any school making millions somewhere. Education is just a bonus in one's life. One needs to combine it with inborn brains so as to be able to succeed in life.

20. aeon

aeon New Member

Yes of course. Education is still the key to success, specially if you are not reach and financially stable in life. It will helps you somehow to find a job and much more easier to get the job that you really wanted if you have your own diploma. Although, diploma is not always the keys to success but this education will open the door for you for much better opportunity, compare to the people who don't have diploma and find another way to get in just to become successful in life. It's really hard to find a job without the educational background, you need to lower your job expectation because for sure, they will not accept you if you try to apply for the job that needed the college graduate. Educations is our only treasure, we should know how to value this.