IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Is it fine to change religion for the person that you love?

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by LDBF, Mar 13, 2019.

1. LDBF

LDBF New Member

Some religions require their members to have partners in life who are of the same faith. I have known several people who have switched to a different religion because it is a requirement for marriage. Personally, I don't think that this is right. People are rational beings and that they are entitled to think and decide for themselves. To require someone to change his faith is unacceptable in my opinion.

2. Nox

Nox New Member

This is a tough one. It's one of those situations where it's different strokes for different folks. I've heard of couples where one of them has converted and eveerything's worked out, there have been others where it hasn't worked out and then there are some people who've shared their faith and things still work out. I think it depends on the individual at the end of the day. Personally, I don't think I would be able to convert my religion for someone else because I feel strongly about my faith. At the same time, I don't think I would want my partner to convert for me, I feel like he could possibly resent me for it one day. For some people religion isn't an important aspect of their lives, so I can see how converting wouldn't be a difficult choice for them.

3. Santra

Santra New Member

In my opinion,if you love some one and that person loves you back then he/she should accept you the way you are(religion included).When you have been brought up with particular religious beliefs,it's hard to change it.I would personally never change my religion for someone else because I have been brought up in that religious sphere.Changing my religion would be like changing my personality.

4. Xave B

Xave B New Member

'Love may conquer all' is a philosophy to live by in any and all situations. In situations where we must make sacrifices for those we love, we are showing true faith over anything, depending of course on what faith is to you. As a Christian, I believe that God would have us in higher stead if we prioritise love over all else. The decision of changing one religion to another on the basis of love is an extremely hard decision, but I think that it is perfectly acceptable if it is not causing disadvantage to either person.

5. priston

priston New Member

You said it well. I also think people should not change their religions for the sake of marriage they should change because they want to change and like the other religion however I also think that as long as the other person who is converting does not feel bad about having to change to be accepted then it is okay to convert .