IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is it Possible to live without TV?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Germain MUHIRWA, May 29, 2015.

1. jayden

jayden New Member

At this time and age, yes it is very possible. This is because with internet and smart phones one can get information without necessarily watching a TV. Infact the most of the young generation never find time for TV, they are most of the time online.

2. Vyonne Nyanchama Ongeri

Vyonne Nyanchama Ongeri New Member

It is possible, but then it must take a lot of sacrifice.Watching is something that isn't easy to stay without, for who would not want to watch news on TV.Yeah I agree it's possible to stay without,but then comes with a lot of sacrifice.

3. scottnoo

scottnoo New Member

Sure you still have megazine to read

4. lisadolor

lisadolor New Member

Yes, of course. It is possible to live without TV especially because there are other gadgets and things that can also give entertainment. With the use of the internet, we can also watch movies, TV series and such and in our own choice. Everyone could possibly live without a television but not without the internet.

5. Beth

Beth New Member

Yes! It is definitely possible to live without T.V., especially if you have no choice, no electricity. I found it quite odd and I really didn't understand, during the time of Hurricane Katrina, when the people were looting and stealing T.V.'S and other electronic devices that they could not use because there was no electricity. I feel there is soo much more to life than watching T.V, I actually feel that you will lose out on the better things in life if you spend too much time watching T.V.

6. jusumortal

jusumortal New Member

Thank you

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  7. MomoStarr16

MomoStarr16 New Member

Depends on where you live. There are lots of factor that can change your thoughts about that. If you live in a place that you grow up does not have a television at all, then you definitely can live without it. But if you live in place that is modernized by the technology, having a television is a must. Living without it will be difficult for you because you grew up knowing that a television exist. That is what the problem of our human nature. We can actually live without those gadgets like phone but this world tells us that we can't. I hope you get a clear answer here. :D

ShroukHosny likes this.
  8. Ana Galdamez

Ana Galdamez New Member

I can live without only because I have the internet to keep me entertained. My computer is my whole world and in fact, I've lived without cable for a few years now. I can look up whatever I need to online and if there are a few places that I can look into a series that is purely on cable if my friends are talking about it. It is possible to live without a televeison set though it does help at times.

9. ShroukHosny

ShroukHosny New Member

I don't even watch TV that much nowadays. I realize that before TV was the "thing" but now it is not so new and I am used to more advanced technology .

I think that it's the young people that can live without TV . Elders grew up watching TV and still think it's the best . There are many alternatives nowadays for TV , Movies and TV shows are now available on the internet and you can watch it whenever you want .

I also became less interested in TV because of the commercials that is displayed and interrupts what you were watching .

10. reesasamoa

reesasamoa New Member

It is definitely possible to live without TV.

My mother grew up without a TV and for entertainment, they played outside. They also had a lot of activities going on whether for school, their community and for the church.

We grew up with very strict rules. After school, we had homework and chores to do and weren't allowed to watch TV until after dinner for only one hour during weekdays. We were busy with other activities during the weekend that we probably watched only two hours of TV, three at the most.

These days, with the internet and different devices, folks can watch youtube videos on their phone, computer or tablet. They also have the option of watching movies or TV series via Netflix or Hulu.

I, myself, am still an avid reader so I would choose to read over watching TV.

11. Wlocky

Wlocky New Member

Once you have a TV and you actually understand the whole experience of having one you do not think you can live without one. TV is so much fun especially during the initial times of owning one. Over the years you grow distant from it but you still need it there for when you need it. TV is a form of lifestyle especially for the present generation.

12. AWorld8Part

AWorld8Part New Member

I have been living without television since 2002, and am amazed how much better my life is without it. I get to pick and choose the medium, such as print magazine or streamed movie, as well as the content itself.

The high level of sophistication of today's search engines makes it possible for me to arrange my entertainment exactly the way I want it, and access it at any time. When paired with cloud storage and online apps, I have access to a nearly infinite universe of entertainment and news options. The fact that these options are often free or low cost adds just the right amount of icing to the cake.

Who needs TV, when you can have everything else?

13. ShikoKamande

ShikoKamande New Member

Personally, ever since I started living on my own, the idea of having a TV in my house became a less and less concern for me. I no longer have the urge or the interest to watch TV, since the internet now has taken over on streamlining online either via smartphone or laptop.
    This is in regards to watching news online, great shows, music. In today's world, TV isn't a neccesity.

14. Milay

Milay New Member

It's very possible. I mean right now it's not the only way to get information or entertainment. There's other alternatives. Like myself, I haven't watched TV for close to a month now and it doesn't feel any different from watching it. Could I go on forever? I think so.

15. Wilderness

Wilderness New Member

At first, it may sound a little bizarre imagining that someone can apprehend and harbor a life where there is no room for television. Personally, I am addicted to it and cannot envision my life without it. In its absence, fantasizing even a single day passing by seems burdensome and toilsome. My life seems half-baked if I don't watch it. It is a complete package which is a good source of information as well as entertainment.

As far as all those claims are concerned where people are not watching television or abstaining from it, in my opinion, anything is possible as well as practicable. With the invention of the internet, we all know that it has taken a back seat. It has become subjacent and secondary. Entertainment, political shows, movies, everything is today watched on the net. It is possible that the POPE may not have watched television as well as is not relying on other means of technology unlike most of us.

16. Cherry

Cherry New Member

I definitely agree with you, one can absolutely do without watching the Television. Maybe before now it was a bit of impossibility but with the advent of technology and the internet where we can get all types of news and entertainments people are no longer bothered about TV.

Personally, I haven't viewed the television for 2years plus I do all my watching with my tablet and smart phone and I'm okay that way.

17. AlisaTR

AlisaTR New Member

Yes, it is possible to live without TV. I grew up without TV. In fact, for much of my childhood, I did not have much access to electricity at all. It was difficult, but I think that it helped to form character.

Without television, I had a very active childhood. Much of my time was spent in outdoor play, and when I was inside, I spent time reading books. I developed quite the imagination as a child without TV and today it is not difficult for me to go days at a time without looking at the TV at all.

I think the television can be very addictive as can many of the other forms of communication and information, and as a result, we have developed such a high dependency on their use that we can be led to believe that life is not possible without them. I have proven otherwise, however, so I can say unequivocally that we can live quality lives without a TV and that there is a lot to life beyond the screen.

18. missjey

missjey New Member

Though I don’t watch TV much compared to when I was a kid, I still think that I can’t live without TV. I still like watching on a bigger screen, now that we have way better TV sets than before, and Smart TVs are awesome, it’s still a must-have appliance at home. It’s fun to stream shows online on a bigger screen.

Mentioning the Pope, I think it probably is because he sworn not to devote time for TV, but instead dedicate the time to bless more people. And maybe the Pope avoids the influence of media because it might affect judgement or his views about issues of the world, could be that.

19. W130SN

W130SN New Member

Yes it is possible, our TV broke in 2012 and we decided not to replace it. Now we watch the shows we want to online and with services like NetFlix you should be able to find something decent to watch when you want. In the UK you also have to pay for a TV License, so not having a TV saves us a little money every year.

Also we don't watch just for the sake of watching now, we only watch when we want to and it means we have more time to do other more productive activities. I do miss having a TV occasionally but we have survived without it, although we may get one again in the future.

20. Kimie Kate Majait

Kimie Kate Majait New Member

In today's generation with different devices and gadgets? I can say that it is possible to live without television. In fact, I did not use our television for me to watch anything I want because I have already alternative way of watching news and shows and that is using just my mobile phone with internet connection. Sometimes, it is better to stream shows or movies in internet than in television and we often get ahead of episodes from the internet than what is being aired in television. It is also very convenient for us to use our mobile phones, tablets, iPods, etc. as an alternative gadget for television because it is portable. We can bring it anywhere we go unlike television that is not that handy. The only disadvantage is that sometimes if we don't have internet connection and there's no signal in our mobile phones, we have no other choice but to use television just to get some information in the news reports and get entertained by shows.