IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is it right to separate children from their parents at the border?

Discussion in 'News' started by William Penn, Jun 22, 2018.

1. William Penn

William Penn New Member

Whatre you’re opinions on this?Its a very argumentive topic,they are breaking the law but are these punishments fair and justified?

2. Eli

Eli New Member

As an American, I believe that no one should have to go through a cruel or unusual punishment, regardless of citizenship. Asking toddlers to sit in front of immigration judges is absurd. Asking them to be separated from their parents for months is downright cruel, and reminiscent of some horrific periods in history (Nazi Germany, for example, separated Jewish kids from their parents). That's not to say that the parents shouldn't be punished; however, separation traumatizes kids as well, who are often too young to be punished in such a cruel way. Some may not even understand what's going on, and a few have reportedly not recognized their parents upon reunification.

Frankly, I think what's going on is horrible and needs to stop. Do you have any suggestions about how to help as a citizen myself?