IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is make up also art?

Discussion in 'Art' started by shamiraangel, Apr 28, 2015.

1. shamiraangel

shamiraangel New Member

if make up is art that means that alot of the ladies are artists

2. ClaraBell

ClaraBell New Member

Well, I suppose you could say so, yes. Some women can create some amazing looks of their own when applying make up. There are also recognized and accredited make up artists that work on TV and movie sets who create all manner of weird and wonderful looks - from the perfectly normal to the horrific!

I guess that's where the term 'painted lady' might come from - anyone care to clarify?

3. IshieVonDyson

IshieVonDyson New Member

I absolutely think makeup can be an art form. It’s amazing what people can do with brushes and cosmetics. I love that one can subtly change their look with some clever highlighting and contouring (though I’m not great at it myself), or become completely unrecognizable with full-on stage makeup. As for myself, I love experimenting with new color combinations, finding lipstick colors to become obsessed with, and finding the perfect looks to synthesize with my outfits and put forth a certain image. So I'm more on the normal side of the scale, but I still consider what I do a form of creative expression, at the very least.

4. Kiwanis Rucker

Kiwanis Rucker New Member

To me make up within the last 5 years or so has become an art. There is so much that you can do now with makeup. Makeup has become a way of expression. It’s amazing how you can show your mood just by the makeup you wear.

5. SuperBlessy

SuperBlessy New Member

Yes, it is an art. You craete an illusion of beauty on the face and in the entire body. Make up is also an art that's why people who are professionals or amateurs in make up are called make up "ARTist." :) It is art beacuse it creates a masterpiece and beauty.

6. Helga

Helga New Member

Makeup can be an art, but I don't think that everyone who wears makeup is an artist. There are different styles of makeup from very minimal and basic to highly skilled and artistic. I don't really wear makeup, and if I did I would not classify myself as an artist in this area. When I think of makeup art I think of those who do glamour makeup, either on themselves or professionally.

7. Cmjblue

Cmjblue New Member

Absolutely! Make up is art. Applying make up requires creativity and skill. I think of make up artists as true artists that transform and highlight our natural beauty. Make is not a cover up, it is meant to enhance what is already there. I think it takes an artist to do so. Therefore make up is an artform.

8. Summer695

Summer695 New Member

I believe that make up is art and the client's face and/or body is the canvas. Makeup artist create some looks that are unbelievably. They can make a person look younger or older, prettier or uglier and they can fully transform you depending on what they are trying to achieve. It is an art that the more you practice the better you become.

9. Antoinette

Antoinette New Member

Anything that is beyond incredible, outstanding and/or different can be considered an art. Simplicity as well. Make-up can be considered an art since a person realizing the work takes into consideration many aspects and works according to the colors. The female, and sometimes male face is an empty canvas and the artists take their time to fill it up with a beautiful creation. It can be seen as they start by sculpting the edges of the face, add some color and shape various aspects so the final product is an amazing yet sometimes simple result.