IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is OpenVPN what I think it is?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by iajua, Apr 20, 2015.

1. iajua

iajua New Member

One of my friend suggested me to use OpenVPN in order to browse internet as a United States user remotely, since I am from India.

Usually for what purpose does people uses OpenVPN?
    What are other methods to browse internet remotely as a United States user?

I am into digital marketing, I work for clients from US and want to perform tasks as a US user while working on clients website for seo, ppc etc.

2. Anuj Dhawan

Anuj Dhawan New Member

My first question is why would you want to do that? Are you trying to access the intranet of a given company? If not, why would you like to access internet from U.S.? Perhaps I fail to understand what are you asking but at the face value of it, you are saying you want to access the internet from U.S. privately while sitting in India! :confused:

If you go by the very definition - a virtual private network (VPN) extends a private network across a public network, such as the Internet. So the first point to remember is, you are trying to access a "private network" as oppose to "internet", which is, from that per se, is an open network. VPN, as such, enables a computer or network-enabled device to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if it were directly connected to the private network, while benefiting from the functionality, security and management policies of the private network. The Open Source implementation of all this is OpenVPN and you don't need it unless you want to get access to someone proprietary private intranet.

Hope this helps.

KenBrace likes this.