IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is Philosophy useful ?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by DenisMNE, Apr 25, 2018.

1. DenisMNE

DenisMNE New Member

Hello!

I am a person who really likes to think about a lot of things and I was always wondering about this subject.

I support the fact that the world was made by soldiers, not philosophers.

Yes, philosophy gave a lot of useful things to planet, but I personally believe that a lot of people are trying to be philosophers so they can boost about their ''intelligence'' while they are not doing anything.

Scientists should be more welcomed by society, in my opinion.

What do you think ?

2. drdues

drdues New Member

I must say, your question is a bit meta-philosophical. To really answer your question, we need to go in full details of what is philosophy and what lies underneath the philosophy. In short, we will have to deal with philosophy of philosophy!

Are you ready my friend?

3. DenisMNE

DenisMNE New Member

Yeah, why not, haha.

I just believe some philosopher were philosopher for the sake of it.
    I do not see a lot of benefits in people putting a finger on their forehead and thinking all day without contributing to the society.
    I am not saying that philosophy did not bring any good, I am just doubting is it useful in today's society.

4. Miles

Miles New Member

The primary reason that philosophy exists, in my opinion, is because the alternative is very depressing; assuming self-consciousness. That is the thought that humans are blobs of cells with neurons firing in our head with no higher purpose. The fact that it is depressing is because of neurochemicals, we need the right stimulation to activate the right neurochemicals, assuming you don't want to be depressed or psychopathic. It all comes down to the brain.

That is the bottom line as far as I'm concerned. It might be overrepresented; It probably is.

5. Miles

Miles New Member

Life is a fatal disease with a mortality rate of 100%.