IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is Receiving The News Essential?

Discussion in 'News' started by kayjay77, Sep 14, 2017.

1. kayjay77

kayjay77 New Member

Hi. It is truly possible that nobody can deny the important role the news play in our day-to-day lives, and in such a magnificent way. In fact, the main question is perhaps "Which is more relevant to us--the morning news to get our day started, or the evening news to help wind down a nice, long day?" The news is essential in that we could survive without the news broadcasts, but it sure makes things smoother and easier to know when the next weather storm is on the way. This is true not only for the weather, yet, for the stories as well. At least I think so.

2. mp0310

mp0310 New Member

Who creates news?
    The people create the events so as to attract attention to receive news. Sometimes one sits in front of the TV and watches the news. He becomes addicted to the news.
    One day I asked the person who was watching the news a simple question. Whats new? His answer "Nothing new, everything is the same"
    Solution: Go outside for a walk with your friends, family or pets.Get some fresh air. Its healthy instead of sitting and watching the news.

3. Maestro

Maestro New Member

I gave up watching the news a number of years ago for one very simple reason. I have chosen to adopt an abundance mind set, which means that I believe good things are going to happen. Do you know that the average ratio of negative news stories to positive news stories is 17 to 1?
    The news preys on having a scarcity mind set. You might think that by giving upon watching news that I am no longer informed but I found there is quite a big difference between being current and being informed.
    Being informed requires something very different. Henry David Thoreau once said, “Read not the Times,read the Eternities.” I've sort out information that is much more substantive in nature, I consume books, things that have lasting power. I watch videos that are focused on building a bigger and better future like 'TEDx Talks' and infotmative podcasts like 'TheTim Ferriss Show'.
    So I've surrounded myself with a positive mind set and I have given up on all that scarcity which preys on us being anxious and having skeptical outlook on life.

acewheel001 likes this.
  4. waelmanz

waelmanz New Member

I agree with Maestro that the majority of the news are not good news, but you cannot vote correctly in the elections if you do not follow the news. Many haters of the news complain that they follow the news but they cannot do anything to change the world. Sympathy with the people who are suffering is not valueless. You can share in Amnesty International campaigns and I am sure that your voice will make a difference.

5. acewheel001

acewheel001 New Member

With social media around, who needs mainsteam media news? In my place for example, the hourly news feature being shown on tv has already been posted online for almost half a day past.

Just in facebook alone, there are several online news outfits that can deliver news feeds any time, 24/7. If for example, you want the goings on between Israel and Syria, you can access the Jerusalem Post or Al Jazeera. The speed with which these online news outfits churn out their ware is just unbelievably fast for mainstream media to be at par with, much least to beat, and I suspect, major tv stations are also on stand-by mode for news posted on various social media sites.

But watching the news all the time just to be abreast of the current events just doesn't make sense.

Perhaps, we have already heard of stories of two-year-old kids who cry when they are accidentally left to watch the news by themselves. They just couldn't stand the same pictures/stories repeatedly being shown on the tv screen for hours on end.

There are other online sites that are definitely better than the news, like, National Geographic , Discovery, and History channels; and many of these are easily accessible, with definitely better programming format and content. So why should we settle for less?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  6. MsExquisite

MsExquisite Member

News has been received in today's society could be an advantage or a disadvantage. In today's society, a lot of the news focus too much on who wants the most attention and who is trying to get money the quick and easy way rather it's robbing and stealing or putting rumors on celebrities trying to scandalize their name. It's a little too much going on for me because half of the time you don't know if it's the truth or just someone trying to get a lie and good story out; so that's why I don't watch the news. I stay informed with newsfeed on what I need to know and the weather; that's all I need to focus on because I have a lot going on myself, where I need to sweep at my own door before I focus on matters that don't influence my everyday living needs.