IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

It's impossible to be good.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Israel Salvador, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:22 PM.

1. Israel Salvador

Israel Salvador New Member

It is impossible to be "good." For the sake of this post, to be "good" is to be of favorable character, which is achieved through actions that are considered above and beyond what is acceptable. To be good, you have to do good things, but these good deeds are only considered "good" because society says they are. So, what happens when a "good person" is put in a society with opposing values? Is he then considered evil?

See, the only thing humans value is their own lives; genocide is horrible when they are committed against creatures that they find favorable, but it is "the right thing to do" when it is committed against creatures they find vulgar or threatening. We are only as good as society allows us to be. In the words of Franz Boas himself, "civilization is not something absolute, but ... is relative, and ... our ideas and conceptions are true only so far as our civilization goes."

2. ZacharyCoss

ZacharyCoss New Member

I must say, Israel, I mostly agree with you & it’s interesting to take a step back, as you have, & observe human events from a complete outsiders perspective. That being said, don’t you think this idea is somewhat pessimistic? I acknowledge that pessimism is another human construct, merely a result of one of our evolutionary processes that encourage optimism, but is it fair to say there is an objective “good” that humans cannot achieve because because of societies subjectivity? You hint that “good” & “bad” are nothing more than ideas that rest on the standards of those who create them. But doesn’t this mean that, through their eyes, someone could objectively be their own subjective idea of good? Just something to think about.