IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Laptop or Desktop - Your preference?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by yahyalamghari, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Fatjon

Fatjon New Member

Well,that depends. If the user wants to have all the time PC with him ,during the school ,in coffe or even when hangs out with dudes,of course it will be a lap top. By the other side if the user wants to make work from home or work from office it will choose desktop computer. I will choose bymyself desktop too ,because if the PC has defects you have more alternative hardware solution to do.

2. DaBeast1852

DaBeast1852 New Member

Hi, I am DaBeast1852. I am here to recommend u to buy laptop if u are a person that save money. If u buy desktop and u are a gamer, i think u will spend estimated almost RM600 - RM700 for gaming keyboard, gaming mouse, gaming headset if u want branded and almost RM4000 for the desktop. I have seen desktop that cost RM10,000. While laptop, u only need to buy gaming mouse and a headset which only cost u like RM200 - RM400. If u wanna buy the perfect gaming laptop, u can message me i will recommend u some of them.

3. classic456

classic456 New Member

I am going to keep this one short and simple,

I use both, and I love both, each one has it advantages for me, which I'm only going to name a few:

Desktops: Easier to repair and upgrade.
    - More comfortable for Long periods of use.
    - Better gaming/performance

Laptops: Extra power from the battery in case electricity fails (really convenient in some countries)
    - Easy to move around and transport (even though 90% off the times you end up using it on a table and not on your lap)
    - Really easy to setup as everything (video, sound, input) is packed in a signle unit.

Just to name a few, however I prefer the desktop PC, to me, its more powerful, more comfortable and fits needs better, in the end, it's all about your tastes, how and what you use it for and your needs!

4. Aveatrex

Aveatrex New Member

Obviously i am more comfortable with desktop computer also laptops heat up alot unlike desktop computers,the gaming experience is better too but laptop has pros too for people who use pc out home laptop will be good for them

5. shark1234

shark1234 New Member

Desktop, easy.

Sit in front of an iMac 5k, and tell me you don't want that screen. Or one of those LG curved 32" screens.

Desktops have better screens, better keyboards, better pointing devices. Desktop are better computers than laptops in every way, except for portability, but of course, you knew that already.

If you need to carry it about, of course, you need a laptop. If you don't, a desktop is always going to be better.

6. SirKaylan

SirKaylan New Member

Right now im using a laptop because of studying and travelling, so its much more handy than a desktop pc. But im thinking about building a gaming pc this year or maybe the next one. For now my laptop runs smoothly most games and its everything ok with it

7. Joanncali

Joanncali New Member

I prefer laptop because it is portable. I bought a new laptop recently and I love it. I can bring it everywhere I go like when I travel. I can also bring it when I visit coffee shops and outing with my friends. It's not bulky and it's not heavy. It's very convenient to bring everywhere. There's also a new version for touch screen laptop which I'm planning to buy soon.

8. Bruce Kelly Bronzal

Bruce Kelly Bronzal New Member

For me Laptop, you know why ? because laptop is easily to care than computers and laptops slightly small consume electricity than computers. Laptops easily brings anywhere any places and so fun playing games outside the door, and laptops good for students and workers to lessen electricity and lazy to bring home works. That's why laptops is the best than computers.

9. fishbate

fishbate New Member

In my opinion both of them are a great tool for any activity that needs processing power. It all depends on what activity you are doing. If you are a on the go person, having a laptop is a great help. Laptop are a more convenient device specially when your always travelling. You can always bring a laptop with you and have access of your files in an instant. How ever laptop are susceptible to shock or physical damage. Also battery life is one feature you must consider. Another thing is durability, although laptop's are made with the highest quality they are basically maintenance free. With that the only thing you can do if your laptop is not working is to have it repaired or buying a new one.

Desktop's in the other hand is more of a stay at home thing. Although you can relocate your laptop, you will have to have a significant amount of time and effort doing it. The good thing about desktops is durability, with the right maintenance and proper updates your desktop could last for years. Second is you can personalize your desktop power depending on what you need. The ability and accessibility of the user to replace or modify the hardware components are the reasons why most of us still use desktops. The user can actually choose what hardware and components for the desktop depending on how much power he/she needs. Replacing parts like RAM,ROM,HDD,MOB and other peripherals are easy provided with a little bit of skills and knowledge. Most of the parts we use on desktops are plug and play and easy to install.

Now what do i prefer? Both of them:D...

10. jeon1104

jeon1104 New Member

I prefer desktops than laptops. Desktop computers generally cost less than laptops with comparable specifications, particularly if you already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse, and only need to purchase the computer itself. Desktops have the benefit of being versatile as far as upgrades are concerned. You can add plenty of features to a desktop tower, including DVD burners, extra hard drives, floppy drives and specialty hardware. The biggest drawback of a desktop computer is the amount of space it takes up and the extra effort required to move it. If you think you may need your computer at any place other than your desk, a desktop is not a good choice.

Because desktop computers are stationary, they run off of household power all the time. This means your battery will never die while you are in the middle of working on an important document. However, if you tend to leave your computer on without saving your data for extended periods of time, this also means that you might lose data due to a power outage. Desktop computers can be used with any keyboard, monitor and mouse configuration you find most comfortable, and you can position your desk setup so each of these is resting in the most comfortable position for you. However, changing this configuration for different users can be a more involved process than it is with a laptop computer.

Many varieties of desktop computer designs are available, but most are not as sleek and stylish as laptop computers. If looks are an important part of your computing experience, desktop computers may not be for you.

11. nekonieden

nekonieden New Member

Both laptop and desktop are useful in different ways. Since I am a graphic artist I prefer desktop because I need a high definition graphics and I can used Maya or Autocad which needs a high graphics and video card . Sometimes I also play sims 4 and when I tried to install it in laptop, it was lagged so I should use desktop to be able to run smoothly, and of course the desktop should be upgraded. Laptop is also essential when traveling. If you are in vacation and your client needs to contact you and he/she wants to revise your work , you can easily edit your work. I would prefer if you have both since each of them has advantages. Laptop can used for emergency cases also when your not at home.

12. Ktaylor

Ktaylor New Member

I choose a laptop. As you stated the convenience is wonderful. I like having the ability to move from the living room to the kitchen and then the bedroom. I have never had an issue with a slow connection.

13. IWriteTheStuff

IWriteTheStuff New Member

I have both a desktop and a laptop. The laptop is used for travel, obviously. I also hook the laptop up to the TV, therefore turning the TV screen into I 80-inch monitor, which is pretty awesome.

Yet, when I am serious about getting work done, I always turn to my faithful desktop. I'm more familiar with it, and therefore am able to work faster.

14. Raffy Mark

Raffy Mark New Member

Choosing between a laptop or a desktop really depends on what is your lifestyle and purpose of using computers. Laptops are really portable and less expensive. It is very useful if you have an activity lifestyle which computer is very useful. For example, a teacher who use Powerpoints as visual aid, or a businessman who is also on meeting and having no time staying a home. Desktop on the other hand is very convenient to use if you are in an office and a most passive lifestyle or workload. Desktop are most faster than laptop. I can be easily repaired and can be use for a lot time period of work without damaging its parts. I don't take sides what should I buy at the end of the day it is more on what kind of work or lifestyle do you have. Both computer device are good and excellent in making our live more easier.

15. Raffy Mark

Raffy Mark New Member

Although desktop computers have been very popular with users over the past few years, the emergence of tablets, smartphones, and laptops has moderated their position recently. There are many reasons why it is distinctive from others Of the other devices, which we observe the most prominent as follows:
    1 - the strength of performance
    Games are a favorite of many users recently many games appeared which need high specifications for the user to operate distinctively. As well as for users of the design and graphics programs who need computers with a specific specification, which requires a computer, where it is difficult to exist in smartphones or laptop computers.
    2. Ability to upgrade
    You can quickly develop computers internal components to increase the efficiency of the machine. All hardware parts, like RAM, processor, screen card, etc. can be replaced. That is difficult to do with laptops or tablets. Expect an additional cost of money.
    3. Elevated temperature
    The problem of high temperature is one of the most significant issues faced by users of laptops. and for desktop users they occupy an enormous area to exhibit the internal pieces appropriately. Some Devices accompany more than one cooling fan.
    Graphic
    Desktop is the best for game lovers, whether to use design software graphics or games, noticing the user chooses the internal specifications to suit his needs and requirements.
    5. Modest prices
    The desktops only need to upgrade and replace some components, while laptop users will need to replace the entire device.

16. Lighta

Lighta New Member

I thik that you're right @Jacobbarnad
    I prefer Desktops as the best average option, if you want the most bang for your back and portability is not necessary, a desktop is likely the best choice especially if price is important.
    Desktops are optimal choices for graphic intensive gaming, the use of CAD applications and for those who prefer to have the optimal of upgrading more easily.
    However, they are also perfectly fine for the basic computer user who just needs email and Internet access.