IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Laptop or Desktop?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Fallarts, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Fallarts

Fallarts New Member

Personally, if I had to choose only one for basic, general-purpose use I would go laptop, just for the flexibility of being able to take it with you, even just to the couch. A lot of people keep their laptops at a desk with a mouse the majority of the time, but it's nice to be able to pick it up and go too.

Do you think having a laptop over a desktop is better? What factors contribute to the decision to one way or the other?

casscillac likes this.
  2. taylor0314

taylor0314 New Member

Hello,
    I personally like Laptops more than Desktops. Laptops you can take anywhere at anytime and be able to connect to the internet, desktops you cannot. However, if you use a desktop it runs faster than a laptop but you cannot connect to wifi on the desktop. So I personally believe laptops are better than desktops.

3. ZeeMan

ZeeMan New Member

At one point in time I would have said desktop due to it's sheer upgradability usually much more powerful experience. With new solutions out right now such as powerful gaming laptops the void is slowly being filled. For this reason I now say laptop due to its portable and compact nature.

4. AdrianeJerden

AdrianeJerden New Member

I prefer laptops because you can take them almost everywhere to access the internet and are durable. Sometimes I prefer desktop because the size of the screen and high quality audio. I love watching video clips online and desktops because make me happier because the visualization is much more and the audio much more excited.

5. Underdog

Underdog New Member

Depends entirely what you need it for. If you have zero need for mobility, laptop is a poor choice - if you need to travel al lot, desktop is obviously not a very good idea.

Personally I've been using only laptops for past few years since I tend to travel quite a lot and prefer to be able to work when abroad. Thus laptops are the only way to go for me.

6. Llingua

Llingua New Member

I'm quite satisfied with my desktop but call me old fashioned. I enjoy having the computer in the same location just like many other things in my home. I don't have to look for it, it's always there in the same place. I wouldn't want a laptop to look for or lug around the house.

7. AmandaHall

AmandaHall New Member

Соntrаrу tо рорulаr bеlіеf уоu dоn't nееd а suреr роwеrful соmрutеr tо рrореrlу run Рhоtоshор, sіnсе thе dіffеrеnсе wіll bе nеglіgіblе іn mоst саsеs.

Dереndіng оn hоw аnd fоr whаt рurроsе уоu usе Рhоtоshор, сhаnсеs аrе thаt уоu sреnd 93% оf thе tіmе wоrkіng wіth tооls, mаkіng sеlесtіоns, раths, rеnаmіng lауеrs, grоuріng stuff, еtс. - sо уоu, nоt thе соmрutеr, іs аt wоrk 93% оf thе tіmе.
    Тhе rеmаіnіng 7% іs thе tіmе thаt уоu wаіt fоr thе соmрutеr tо run а fіltеr оr sоmе оthеr соmрutаtіоn tаsk.

Ѕо dоublіng thе sрееd оf уоur hаrdwаrе, аnd thеrеbу еаsіlу dоublіng thе рrісе, dоеsn't rеаllу sаvе уоu muсh tіmе іn thе еnd.

Тhеrе wоuld bе sоmе ехсерtіоns tо thіs, fоr іnstаnсе а usеr mаkіng а lоt оf раnоrаmаs іn Рhоtоshор оr sоmеоnе usіng hеаvу fіltеrs ехtеnsіvеlу.
    Аnоthеr ехсерtіоn wоuld bе а usеr mаіnlу wоrkіng оn ехtrеmеlу hіgh rеsоlutіоn іmаgеs frоm tор-tіеr dЅRLs оr mеdіum fоrmаt саmеrаs.

Fоr Рhоtоshор уоu wіll nееd
    • An аvеrаgе аnd dесеnt mоdеrn СРU, suсh аs Іntеl Соrе і5
    • 8 GВ RАМ shоuld bе suffісіеnt fоr mоst usеrs, but thаt іs аnуwау whаt аnу соmрutеr shоuld hаvе thеsе dауs - 4 GВ RАМ іs quіtе уеstеrdау
    • А grарhісs саrd thаt wоrks wіth Рhоtоshор - sее thе lіst аt Рhоtоshор СС аnd СС 2014 GРU

Yоu саn run Рhоtоshор wіthоut а suрроrtеd grарhісs саrd but іt іs nоt rесоmmеndеd sіnсе уоu wіll mіss оut оn sоmе nісе fеаturеs - аnd sоmе sрееd!

Іt іs аlsо rесоmmеndеd (Тhаnks tо Ѕtеvе Воhnе fоr thе suggеstіоn) tо usе аn ЅЅD rаthеr thаn а trаdіtіоnаl hаrd drіvе.

Тhе орtіmаl sеttіng іs tо hаvе аn ЅЅD thаt іsn't уоur sуstеm drіvе (іе. thе оnе thаt соntаіns Wіndоws оr ОЅ Х) thаt Рhоtоshор саn usе аs sсrаtсh dіsk. Тhе sсrаtсh dіsk іs usеd bу Рhоtоshор fоr stоrіng thе dаtа thаt уоu'rе wоrkіng оn, еsресіаllу іf уоu run lоw оn mеmоrу (RАМ) оr wоrk оn vеrу lаrgе dосumеnts.

Ноwеvеr іt іs іn аnу саsе bеttеr tо usе thе ЅЅD аs thе sсrаtсh dіsk, еvеn іf іt іs аlsо thе sуstеm drіvе, rаthеr thаn usіng аnу аvаіlаblе hаrd drіvе.

Аnу lарtор thаt mееts thе rеquіrеmеnts fоr рrореrlу runnіng Рhоtоshор wіll wоrk јust аs wеll аs а dеsktор соmрutеr wіth sіmіlаr sресіfісаtіоns. Ноwеvеr уоu саn gеt mоrе роwеr іn а dеsktор соmрutеr thаn уоu саn роssіblу fіt іntо аnу lарtор аnd thе рrісе/реrfоrmаnсе rаtіо іs bеttеr fоr dеsktор соmрutеrs.

Тhе mаіn рrоblеm уоu wіll еnсоuntеr usіng а lарtор іs а рооr quаlіtу sсrееn whісh іs fіttеd оn thе vаst mајоrіtу оf lарtорs аvаіlаblе оn thе mаrkеt. Ѕо оnlу а sеlесt fеw lарtорs аrе usеful fоr Рhоtоshор іf уоu hарреn tо саrе аbоut thе соlоr rерrоduсtіоn quаlіtіеs оf thе sсrееn.

Іn аnу lарtор sсrееn оr dеsktор соmрutеr mоnіtоr thеrе іs а раnеl, whісh іs whаt рrоduсеs thе іmаgе thаt уоu sее. Тhеrе аrе numеrоus tуреs оf раnеls but twо bаsіс tуреs аrе ТΝ аnd ІРЅ.
    ТΝ раnеls аrе сhеар, thеу wоrk wеll fоr а lоt оf stuff but dо hаvе thеіr lіmіtаtіоns whеn іt соmеs tо vіеwіng аnglе аnd соlоr rерrоduсtіоn.
    ІРЅ раnеls hаvе muсh bеttеr vіеwіng аnglе аnd соlоr rерrоduсtіоn.

8. Happyflowerlady

Happyflowerlady New Member Moderator

I have a Dell XPS-18 that I just absolutely love ! After my old dinosaur desktop died, my daughter gave me an iPad, and I can use that for almost everything I need to do online.
    Otherwise, I use the Dell. It is what is called an "all-in-one", which means that it can function as a desktop, laptop, or as a tablet (albeit , a HUGE one !).
    I keep the Dell on its pedestal and use it as a desktop computer most of the time. Since it is an 18" screen, it is large to pack around; however, it IS portable and has little legs that it can stand up on when being used as a laptop or a tablet.
    What I love the best about the Dell, is that it is also a touchscreen, and you can "scrunch and magnify" just like I do with the iPad.

9. rahman quadri

rahman quadri New Member

Even though laptops are more portable, desktops render at a faster speed and overall have a more powerful performance. Desktops does have its flaws, but I don't think there would be a need to have a portable computer, when we can carry files through flash drives. Desktops are also better for the main reason tht they usually carry more space on them.

10. Goda92

Goda92 New Member

I prefer laptop for trips and excursions. For games and use heavy programs such as Photoshop, Cubase, etc .. I prefer desktop.

11. Veronica M.

Veronica M. New Member

I myself prefer laptops because of its mobility and I'm a person who is very much on the move a lot. Though I know desktops are generally more powerful than laptops.. And it can pretty much handle multiple different tasks more efficiently than a laptop, I find that my ASUS is very capable of handling the tasks I have asked of it. The only thing I can't really do on this one is game. And when I say game, I mean Skyrim or even Sims it has a problem running. But, that could also be because my laptop is pretty old at this point since I've seen other laptops handle games such as the ones that I listed before.

12. kuyarobi

kuyarobi New Member

I mostly work on my laptop but the desktop can never be replaced. It has so much more upgrading and customizing options. If the recent released of games demand for more ram and higher grade video card, I can easily replace that in 5 minutes. A laptop has limited space and adding on anything is not an option. Also with a desktop cooling is easily addressed. You so have the room and extra space to add more fans and cleaning is so much easier.

Desktop is still king if you use it for deeper reasons then just social media and portability.

13. xXTHEICEXx

xXTHEICEXx Member

I prefer laptops. I like to move my laptop to different locations of the house. Like if I was going to have breakfast, I would move it to the table and eat while I do my online work. If I am feeling lazy then I would move my laptop on my bed and enjoy watching some videos. If I have to do online work then it's moving to my desk. I want to get another laptop for college because the one I am using right now is way too big and it barely fits my backpack.

14. argus357

argus357 New Member

If you are a gamer, desktop is a must since it is way better to use in my case. Desktops I think are more powerful than laptops even if they have the same specifications, I am not a computer expert but I can notice the difference. So, I guess it depends on how or where you use it, but for me I prefer desktop.

cr381121 likes this.
  15. abhinahi77

abhinahi77 New Member

Desktop all the way. My old age p4 desktop computer could still give i3 laptops a run for their money. Laptops with highest configuration don't come close to robustness of a desktop to be honest.

cr381121 likes this.
  16. abbey

abbey Member

It depends on what you do with your laptop or desktop. I do some music production jobs and i prefer using my desktop as it a lot more convenient for me, But for just normal daily use, my laptop does it for me always, and definitely with my external mouse

17. vektorinox

vektorinox New Member

for a simple task I prefer laptop but for my daily graphical work I usually use desktop because I do my jobs all day long.

18. adige1431

adige1431 New Member

Nowadays laptops can be just as powerful as desktops. In fact with my new laptop I can do far more than with my desktop which is only a couple of years old. Laptops tend to get damaged more easily because they are portable. You're not likely to drop your desktop. The best of both worlds for me is to have a laptop docking station with a large monitor for the days I want to work from home and still be able to undock the laptop and take it with me when I want to work somewhere else. That's the set up I have with my work computer.

19. paulojunior85

paulojunior85 New Member

I prefer Laptop it is more practical and fits perfectly in my perfetamente daily needs and has a great setting!
    I use a Dell laptop that has 1tb of memory, you may think it's too much, but to me you need much memory you!

20. hooper24

hooper24 New Member

I like laptops because you can carry them with you. If you use computers you have sit in one place but if you use laptops you can move anywhere you want.