IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Laptop or Desktop?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Fallarts, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Tonya

Tonya New Member

It really all depends on what you are using it for. Personally I have both. I have a PC at home for music, gaming, and my kids to play on. I also have a laptop for work and traveling. If there is something on my PC that I need and I am away from home, I just remote in from my laptop.

2. Daniel Nabil

Daniel Nabil New Member

Hi there! I would like to start off by saying that both devices are necessary in our daily life.I often use my laptop where I am at the club and also where I am at my office.When I get back to my home,I turn on my powerful desktop machine and do on it the more intensive tasks,like:gaming,watching youtube, and editing videos.The advantage offered in a desktop pc,is that it's always plugged in,so you don't have to worry about low battery annoying notifactions!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  3. Karen Gordon

Karen Gordon New Member

Oh it is all about the laptop for me. It is hard to beat the comfort of hanging out in your living room with a laptop on your lap. I just enjoy the comfort and the feeling of freedom that a laptop gives me. I would hate to have to work at a desktop. It is just one of the things that I don't particularly like to do. Even if I am working on a laptop, sitting with one on my lap gives me the feeling of not working so, it is something I really enjoy.

4. Msouza

Msouza New Member

This comes down really to a matter of necessity. If what you really need is portability, in case you a student, a salesman, a Laptop can be very handy. But if you're a gamer, like me, or work with editing for instance, the extra power that a desktop can offer will definitely surpass the bonuses of a laptop, and although modern laptops can have the same raw power, their prices are way higher.

5. rqalice

rqalice New Member

I much prefer laptops unless you have literally no reason to move the computer. Even if you'll just have to carry it down some stairs to a different room, it's so much easier to move everything involved with a laptop. However, they dont seem to last as long (probably for this reason!).

If you're looking to do something that truly needs the power, not talking just playing SC2 on high settings, a custom built desktop is the way to go. If you can't build it yourself from scratch, you'll probably have the money to pay someone to do it. That is if you truly need the highest end computer you can buy.

6. Sandee

Sandee New Member

I prefer laptops over desktops. Not only for the flexibility of being able to take them anywhere, but also in my experience, they last longer.

It does depend on the brand though. I have had an Acer and now have a Dell. I'm not totally convinced on either right now and I will be due for a new one shortly.

7. Mohammed

Mohammed New Member

Portability is the biggest advantage of a laptop over a desktop. Carrying a laptop means instant availability of your applications and documents anytime and anywhere. Your laptop can have a quick access to the internet on the go, so you have more place to check your emails, surf web, and be more productive. In terms of connectivity, both laptops and desktops have equal access to the internet through standard technologies. But, owning a laptop gives users an ability to take advantage of wireless networks like UWnet, which is nearly available in all campus buildings and common areas of residence halls.

The choice us yours. I would pick a laptop over a laptop because of its portability and more options to access internet. How about you?

8. Invincible

Invincible New Member

I've always wanted an Apple laptop since they started bringing them into schools. I enjoy the easy usage of Apple products and I own an Iphone and ipad. But they're just so expensive. I'm heading off to college soon and my parents offered to get me a new laptop, but now I'm thinking maybe I'd rather have a 2 in 1 laptop rather than an Apple? I'm just not quite sure, any thoughts? Let me know.:)

9. Odain

Odain New Member

Choosing between a laptop and desktop can be a hard decision. The bottom line comes down to mobility. If you will need or use the portability of a laptop, then it can be a very good tool for you and worth the money. However, if the laptop will simply act as a desktop with very minimal need for portability, a desktop is also an excellent choice and far less costly.

10. Khareen

Khareen New Member

Laptops are indeed convenient since you can carry it with you. In my case I carry my laptop at school so I can browse the internet, make research, and continue with my work. I am a gamer as well and I prefer using my desktop whenever I play because my desktop can handle many big programs/games since it has a much bigger processor than my laptop. But all in all in a daily process I use my laptop more than my desktop :)

11. Ankesh srivastav

Ankesh srivastav New Member

In my opinion it depends. If you travel a lot a laptop would be the one to go with. If you only access your PC from one place, a desktop will be best. Why? First of all, you can upgrade a desktop. It may sound scary, opening up your PC and replacing parts, but it's actually really easy. There are a lot of guides on the internet that will help you with this. Another reason to go with a PC is because it's cheaper. You pay more money for a laptop compared to a desktop with equal specifications. Those are the reasons why I went with a desktop. I'm an avid gamer so being able to upgrade my computer is a big deal for me. But yes, If you don't play games and you move around a lot, a laptop will be the one to go with.

12. Shavkat79

Shavkat79 New Member

Of course, it is better to have both of them, because in some situations they can’t replace each other. But if you have to choose one of them you should take into consideration some cases.
    If you are fond of games, music, photo and video files and can allocate a separate table to make a workplace for yourself and are not going to carry it around, desktop is the best suitable choice for you.
    The laptop suits you if you are mobile, spend more time outside the home or office. And for people with the minimum requirements the best choice is a tablet. As a rule, the dimensions and volatility are even less.

13. Donz

Donz New Member

From my point of view, the specs of a computer are more advanced than a laptop. Aside from that, it’s easier to upgrade a CPU in terms of video card, hard drive, etc. The only disadvantage of using a PC is the portability. We all know that people can carry their laptops everywhere they go but it’s not the same with your desktop.

In my opinion, I prefer having a strong computer than a portable laptop. I don’t mind not being able to carry my gadget during camping trips or vacations as long as I can do my work at home and play some good video games.

14. kenzenith

kenzenith New Member

When it comes to handiness, I'll choose a laptop over a desktop any day. Although the major downsides of laptops are their bulkiness and poor processor, I still love to use it because I can bring it in my travels. I love that you don't need to plug your laptop every time because it has battery. Moreover, I casually do browsing in the internet, so I don't really need a fast processor like that of a desktop. I like desktops but I like laptops more.

15. ali_masauli

ali_masauli New Member

Hi, I would say it depends on an individual's needs. If a person like me does keep using internet and listening music throughout the day, then a laptop would be much suitable to his needs. But, if a person doesn't has much use of internet or he uses just basic things such as checking mails once in a week or just play games, then a PC would work for him. In my opinion, the biggest advantage of a laptop over PC is the portability. You can have access to internet anytime anywhere such as college campuses, shopping malls etc. On the other hand, there isn't much option like this in a PC. Thus, my pick would be a laptop over a PC anyday.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  16. Vinaya

Vinaya New Member

I was introduced to computer through a desktop, however, my first computer was a laptop. Laptop and desktop both have pros and cons. Desktop is durable and performs better than laptop, however, because of laptop's portability, it has better use compared to desktop. Unless you regularly back up the data, loss of data is a common problem in laptop.

Binu likes this.
  17. Vinaya

Vinaya New Member

I was introduced to computer through a desktop, however, my first computer was a laptop. Laptop and desktop both have pros and cons. Desktop is durable and performs better than laptop, however, because of laptop's portability, it has better use compared to desktop. Unless you regularly back up the data, loss of data is a common problem in laptop.

18. Tiquito

Tiquito New Member

I also prefer the laptop. I can take it anywhere you want , I can perform tasks anywhere and connect anywhere in the world wherever I am and I can also make some extra income with my laptop depending on what you're doing. I think the desktop may have its days numbered. My opinion.

19. casscillac

casscillac New Member

I think that it just depends on what you want to do with it. As for me I like a laptop that performs like a computer that way I can get lots of things done.

20. Sue Giplaye

Sue Giplaye New Member

I like laptops because it is more portable. You can take a laptop anywhere. I feel like desktops take up too much space and are more old fashioned.