IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Laptop or Desktop?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Fallarts, Apr 17, 2015.

1. pedrojoao89

pedrojoao89 New Member

For me it depends on the purpose. But generally I would prefer a Desktop, although, currently, I only own a laptop, but I'm saving money to buy a decent Desktop by the end of this year if all goes accordingly to the expected! Wish me luck!
    I would prefer a desktop because, in my opinion, it is more durable than the laptops, you can replace parts much more easily than the laptop parts, and generally the desktop parts are cheaper than the laptop ones. For example, with 800bucks you can easily buy a much better desktop (in terms of CPU and GPU) than a laptop, of course that you also need to buy a keyboard, mouse and monitor but it's still much more cheaper or at least it's the same price but you have a better monitor, a better keyboard and better GPU and CPU!

2. henry

henry New Member

I prefer a desktop computer because i personally think that their much faster and they also have a big screen.On the other hand a laptop can be taken any where and used anywhere.

3. btalivny

btalivny New Member

Preference is based on what the need is and how much money one can spend. Many consider desktops to be superior in relation to power. You however can buy laptops which come with the same amount of Ram, Graphics, Processor. The main difference is that the laptop may cost double or even triple the amount which the desktop cost. The reason being is that they need to fit an equivalent amount of power in a much smaller platform. I prefer laptop's for personal use but prefer desktops when doing high level calculations for work.

4. nemanjanp

nemanjanp New Member

Couldn't agree more. To be honest, i think this topic is quite ridiculous, as it all comes down to a preference and how much money you plan to spend. The answer of laptop or desktop dilemma is different for every other person.

As btalivny said, it depends on what your needs are. If you plan to travel, and need something casual, get yourself a laptop. But if you use your computer mainly for gaming you should get yourself a desktop computer. Even if you travel a lot you can do gaming on a laptop, although it will take a lot more money than a desktop one.

5. Leander Human

Leander Human New Member

6. Keno Clayton

Keno Clayton New Member

Desktops are great because of the potential for future upgrades as well as the fact that it is much harder for it to overheat. However it is rather difficult to move desktops around due to the number of parts needed to operate it. Space and portability may be an issue for some people, so a laptop would be a perfect choice for them. Having both is a really good thing because you can get the best of both worlds, or you can decide to splurge on a really expensive laptop which can perform at a level comparable to a desktop PC, with limitations.

7. annamarie

annamarie New Member

I personally like laptops better. I like the fact that if I want to go away for a weekend I am still connected with friends and family and have access to everything I need. I do think desktops tend to work better and are a lot more affordable then some laptops now a days. When I bought my first desktop in 1999 it cost almost 1,000 dollars.

8. dr45

dr45 New Member

For me I would choose a laptop over a desktop for some of these reasons. The first reason why I would choose a laptop over a desktop is because it has better components than a desktop. The better components in a laptop would have to be keyboard, screen, monitor and popularity would have to be why I would choose a laptop over a desktop. Another reason just like people said in the other comments is that a laptop has portability compared to a desktop. It is because of this that I think a laptop is better since now people have to be in different places whether it is the workplace, at a meeting or in class. Lastly the type of power that is in laptop makes it better than a desktop. Since laptops are becoming as powerful as desktops then laptops will become more powerful later on. These are some reasons why I would choose a laptop over a desktop.

9. Melissa1024

Melissa1024 New Member

I honestly prefer my laptop. I have a desktop also,but with the laptop I can go anywhere. I sometimes use the desktop,but,not very often. I feel like I am tied down and can not go anywhere. The laptop on the other hand can go anywhere. I have laid in bed and worked. I have sit on the couch with it and browsed the internet. I have even sit on my porch with the laptop,while my child was in the yard playing. So as far as I am concerned the laptop is more practical.

10. maclover68

maclover68 New Member

I have yet to personally ever own a desktop. Like the OP I love the versatility of a laptop that I can not only take to the next room with me, but across the country and even the globe!!! I don't want more than one computer and don't really need one along with a tablet, kindle, smart phone etc... One computer is all I want and I love that I can take my MacBook Pro anywhere I go!

11. Nakia

Nakia New Member

Both.But If I had to choose one it would be a laptop.

12. owen027

owen027 Member

For a gamer like me I will choose desktop computers. It's a good choice because most online games needs large graphics and video. And typically have the power to operate. Laptops can also be my choice because it is easy to carry. If I need to do homework and other activity in a quiet place away from my room.

13. elmer dapula

elmer dapula New Member

for me desktop for a simple reason.
    my worked is home based and i need a stable computer to hold my personal/business files.
    almost 2 weeks since i last turn off my desktop computer

14. sebzswag

sebzswag New Member

Choosing between a laptop and desktop can be a
    difficult decision. The bottom line comes down to
    portability. If you will need or use the portability
    of a laptop, then it can be a powerful tool for you
    and worth the extra money. However, if the laptop
    will simply act as a desktop with very occasional
    need for portability, a desktop is also an excellent
    choice and far less expensive.

15. Ahmed

Ahmed New Member

I prefer laptops than computers as laptops are portable. I also like laptops a lot, as you can carry it with you when your going on a trip or outside laptops are much more compact and fast, we can use laptops both in work places as well as as in the home for entertainment purposes.

16. Muhammad Rizwan

Muhammad Rizwan New Member

If for any reason I had to choose between my Laptop and Desktop Computer. I will prefer a Desktop because it best suit my needs. I have to use my computer for many hours. And my laptop is always heated up for using about 2-3 hours. Which is far low than my Desktop.

I am not denying the fact that Laptops are portable. We can take them with us easily. But they are also easy to get damaged. If accidently we dropped a laptop it will surely get damaged. Most of the time it's unrepairable.

That's why I choose Desktop instead of Laptop.

17. valanchar

valanchar New Member

The desktop computer, allows you to perform more complex tasks. I think desktops are also comfortable for typing. Laptops have small keyboards, and are difficult to repair.

18. Fernando

Fernando New Member

I Prefer Desktop

19. ismailf42

ismailf42 New Member

I would definitely choose laptops. And I currently use a laptop. Beacuse they are portable. You could take them with you wherever you go. But couldn't take desktop PCs. Nowadays, smartphones is more popular. But, I choose a laptop.

20. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Member

We are going to compare laptop and desktop. There is a great difference as to their usability, easiness, portability. Usability: Laptop and desktop are very useful from files storage, encoding, and other computer job. Easiness: laptop and desktop could be easily accessed and they are used in school, office. And last comparison is portability: laptop could be carried anywhere. It is handy and portable than desktop.