IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Life Without a Computer

Discussion in 'Internet' started by Daphne Elzie, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Daphne Elzie

Daphne Elzie New Member

I do enjoy watching tv, reading and painting, but those things are to the point of being obsolete. My fun is when I get to be on my lap top. My favorite things to do are listen to music, watch movies and just simply read my emails.

The music I like listening to is gospel, I love mary mary. I sit and play their song go get it atleast 5 to 7 times if not more sometimes. They have a gospel style that I have never seen before. As I listen to them I hear a talent not many artist have today.

I also, like watching gospel movies on you tube like "One Night With The King". My favorite part was when Esther, first met the king and she wanted to impress him by offering her most valuable possession, a necklace her parents gave her, before they died.

Finally, I just like going through my emails to see who sent anything of value. I know nobody would send me anything of value by email, but you never can tell.

2. Tyi

Tyi Member

Hello Daphne:

I too find Mary Mary quite enjoying. I also love gospel music. I can only imagine what life without computers would be like for people born after the mid 1980's. The Techie Generation knows nothing else. Many do not know how to write in cursive, look up books, magazines or use research materials in the library. Microfilm and microfiche are foreign concept to many. Technology is a beautiful thing. I thank GOD for it. I am also concerned that the younger generation will be at a total loss.

Without Excel and other accounting/engineering programs, technicians will have to resort to handwritten documents. A writer must also rely on his/her penmanship or someone else's. Especially since typewriters are obsolete. And as for movies and television shows, grab that remote and turn on the television.

3. Emmaleigh Grace

Emmaleigh Grace New Member

I spend majority of my time on my laptop, what with this Internet-dependant society, so I guess there isn't much for me if I didn't have it. (It's also one of my primary sources of income.)

4. Tyi

Tyi Member

Daphne: I agree with your response. And for this reason, I am very concerned about the Techie generation. Because many of them won't know how to function without computers, tablets, I-phones/pods/pads, smartphones/tv's, etc. The average young person today views reading a book as a punishment. And GOD forbid, they are asked to practice writing. Penmanship is a dying art. Teaching youngsters how to balance a checkbook is pretty much obsolete, especially since plastic (debit/credit/check cards) are the new normal. People nowadays will look at a check writer like they've got two heads.

I just hope that if anything does happen, that the folks who grew up without all these technical devices will remember and those who didn't, are willing to learn.