IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Money makes the world go round

Discussion in 'Sports' started by pwarbi, May 18, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi New Member

I'm sure that a lot of people these days, actively follow their favourite sports team. But is money ruining the game we love?

As an example, I'm a massive football fan who lives in England, and I follow my local club, Manchester city. This is a team that for many years, was fighting relegation and didn't have a chance at winning anything, but that didn't matter. We followed this club because it was in our blood, it's a club our father and grandfather's supported. It was part of our family.

Not too long ago, the club was taken over, and billions of pounds was invested into the team, not only new players but in a new training facility and a major stadium expansion. We've gone on to win trophies and two league titles, which is something every supporter wouldn't have thought possible.

But at what cost? Our once well liked club, is now one of the most hated, simply because of the money we have invested. We've been accused of buying our success. The stadium these days, instead of being full of local people following their local club, is now full of football tourists. People that only come for a day out and to take a few photographs instead of actually supporting the players on the pitch.

But has it gone too far? Has making money and winning trophies become more important than everything else?