IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Music while studying?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Cara101, May 31, 2015.

1. stargazer

stargazer New Member

When studying, I prefer silence. I may be relaxed listening to beautiful music but I definitely shun from it when I need concentration. I just can’t multi-task with background music. This is why I hardly understand my family who do it every time – music and study, music and household chores, and worse, background music while watching tv news. :confused:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  2. Sarah

Sarah New Member

When I was in university and needed to pull an all-nighter, music definitely helped me to stay awake. But I tend to find it too distracting so I switch it off as soon as I get a bit awake. I always caught myself focusing on the lyrics rather on the subject I am trying to study so does not work for me.

3. Dovile

Dovile New Member

Personally, I can't do anything if I'm studying, writing, or reading. Any small distraction will pull me out of the right mindset for that type of task.

On the other hand, if I'm working or doing something repetitive, music often helps me focus on it. I'm not sure why, but I think it gives my mind something else to occupy part of it when the task at hand is generally boring.

4. stefan

stefan New Member

It depends on the mood that i am in. Sometimes, music is great while studying, I would play my favorite songs and try to learn and memorize information or even do math equations. But, when my focus is really poor, music really just distracts me and i need it to be turned off if I want to get any work done. I have heard that classical music can make you understand information more efficiently, but I do not really like classical music because it gets really boring for me. I am sure that some genres of music like heavy metal can never be used while studying though, that is for sure.

5. iamhadzy

iamhadzy New Member

I'm not sure anyone would be able to concentrate very well on studying while having music playing in the background.. Although it does happen but it's mostly with classical music while studying nothing too complex.

I myself can't stop myself from playing music while studying, I try not to lose my focus on studying but I always get higher attention on the music itself.. It's not something I'd recommend doing

6. Antoinette

Antoinette New Member

This is a great topic. Usually a person prefers a quit environment were nothing or nobody can distract them. I am the type of person that can study with music, depending on what i am studying about. Here's the thing if it has to do with art , any computer assignment or math, i need to have music to concentrate. I still do not understand why that is but it helps me to have some kind of music in the background. Silent distracts me. I start looking for sound in the background or just get distracted by any sound or person that walks by, simply because i was not concentrating in my studies, i was concentrating in looking unconsciously for a distraction.

7. serbog

serbog New Member

I tried it but I really can't study when listening to music. My thoughts are repeating the song and when i read the page i forget everything that was on it. My brother on the other hand always listens to music when studying.

8. mistercd3

mistercd3 New Member

Music really helps me to concentrate and focus on what I'm trying to do. I used to do my homework while listening to music, especially with math and physics or science stuff. Music always inspires and motivate me. Music become an important part in my life. It really helps me to keep on doing what I need to do.

9. Eric Nilsson

Eric Nilsson New Member

I prefer to study when there is some sound in the backround, it doesn't have to be music, but just something, for example the TV. However when I'm in class and it starts to get to much noise when I'm trying to concentrate, I usually put my headphones on, this because I rather study to some calm music than to a very noisy classroom.

10. SoloSalsa

SoloSalsa New Member

It depends what I'm studying. If it's something that I'm really interested in then I like not to have any music on so I can just focus on what I'm studying. But if it's something that I find hard to get excited about, having music on in the back keeps me entertained enough so I can keep studying, otherwise I'll just become too unmotivated to keep studying.

11. andbog

andbog New Member

Music for Studying depends on the person. One could work hard to the sound of disco beats. One could think better to the music of Heavy Metal, it all depends on the person. Overall, I think most people would listen to greatest music of all, the sound of silence. In this case, music just does not work in person because it can be distracting, especially when you're trying to memorize lines of a poem, or trying to use flashcards.

12. Andrew Neer

Andrew Neer New Member

I think the effect of music on concentration varies from person to person. I do listen to music while studying but the genre matters a lot. I'm told classical music is the best but I prefer smooth jazz instrumentals.

This may sound a little off topic but apart from music, has anyone tried binaural beats for study? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

KenBrace likes this.
  13. robeen05

robeen05 New Member

For me . I feel better when i listen to music and study in the same time , Because i feel bored when i study in calm.

14. Khareen

Khareen New Member

Personally I prefer studying while listening to music. I actually make it as my background music or noise. It helps me concentrate on my studies and it keeps me focused. I don't get distracted in my surroundings because of the music I'm playing. Some people prefer listening to classical songs and meditation songs and based on experience it it is actually effective :)

I believe it all depends on the person on what ways he/she can make his/her studying comfortable and effective :)

15. Vinaya

Vinaya New Member

When I was in college, I used to listen to music while studying. In my experience music boosts concentration. However, we should always choose soothing music when we are trying to focus on something.

I also practice music meditation. Music meditation is a type of meditation where the subject is guided into deep meditation with the help of music.

Binu likes this.
  16. Sue Giplaye

Sue Giplaye New Member

I love listening to music while studying. I think it only distracts me though. So I can agree with the study that your mind has a hard time multi tasking, because my mind does.

17. pedrojoao89

pedrojoao89 New Member

I love to listen to music when I'm studying, I'm used to this since I was a little boy! :p Maybe because both of my parents are musicians (well, they don't make a living from playing instruments, but they do some concerts every now and then) and they used to practice at home while I was there and sometimes when I was studying they were practicing at the same time! And I got so used to it to the point that when I'm studying and there is no music playing I miss something and get distracted much more easily!

So I don't love to listen to music while I study, I NEED to listen to music! It's a necessity! :p

18. henry

henry New Member

When i first heard about this i thought it was a joke because how can you study while listening tot music isn't it detracting. But then i realized people were serious about it. So i tried it and i couldn't focus on my work at all.

19. nemanjanp

nemanjanp New Member

In my opinion listening to music while studying boosts your memorizing capabilities. When I study, I like to listen to something ambient and relaxing. This would be a good example. It helps me in a way that i simply feel im in another and more beautiful place. Laying down on a beach during the sunset or just chilling in the forest or pretty much any place you can possibly imagine.

Also, depending on the type of literature I am reading, I can switch to classical music. One of my favorites are Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and Morning by Edvard Grieg.

20. grammarqueen

grammarqueen New Member

For me, listening to turn up music always helps me!