IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Procrastination Help - Ideas

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by mill603, Aug 11, 2015.

1. mill603

mill603 New Member

The best step for procrastination is to let your actions speak along with the, "if tomorrow ever comes" mentality. I have found that when I start to procrastinate I ask myself, what if the world ends today? Did I do what I wanted to get done? Yes, I know that's a creepy way to put it. When you put a value on your time, you make the best of every second. I also say that you have to crawl before you jog as well. Does anyone else here follow the same beliefs? What are your tips and ideas for procrastination?

2. iamkkris

iamkkris New Member

Procrastination is like an embryo. It constantly grows until it takes control. The only way to cure it is to take action. Action cures procrastination just like it cures fear. Don't think, just do. We have the ability to force our mind into doing something even though it doesn't want to. Hence, the next time you feel like procrastinating something, get up, don't think and just do it. Before long, you will be engaged.

3. terryse2015

terryse2015 New Member

Procrastination is a leading cause of stress. Dreaded tasks that are necessary are like dark clouds that follow you around wherever you go. Realize that once these tasks are taken care of and out of the way, you will be able to relax more. Your days will be less stressful the sooner these tasks are completed.

4. joannyanunga

joannyanunga New Member

I personally think that the main course for procrastination is laziness. Letting yourself put things off may lead to dire consequences.

Procrastinating makes a lot of people feel debilitated thus making them have the notion that they cannot overcome it.

The reason why so many people suffer from this habit is because they can't identify why they are procrastinating. This feeling can be depressing.

There's definitely a few reasons why people procrastinate. In order to I dentify why, spend time thinking about why you procrastinate. It might be fear of failure, self sabotage or anxiety. The best cure for this self-destructive habit, is one's own will to overcome it at all costs.

The question still remains can procrastination be overcomed completely?

5. PathFinder

PathFinder New Member

I think the best way of dealing with procrastination is to be more conscious of everything.

I believe becoming more conscious of your responsilibites, your choices, and the consequences of those choices, will allow you to better do what you need to do.

If you become conscious of any specific task, and create a connection between that and yourself, suddenly everything has more meaning: it's not just pointless or mundane, it has a purpose, and no matter how trivial everything you do in life may seem, you'll feel a greater sense of meaning when doing these things, effectively beating procrastination.

6. redalo

redalo New Member

Well, if the world was about to end, why on earth would I be working right now ? For me, avoiding procrastination is more about piece of mind, remembering your objectives and staying calm and rationnal. What do you think ?

7. Tyi

Tyi Member

I tend to view procrastination as that pesky uninvited house guest in need of a quick eviction. I can relate to what terryse2015 said about procrastination being one of the leading causes of stress. I have been guilty of spending quality time procrastination only to find myself running behind the eight ball trying to figure out how I am going to complete much need tasks. I have also found that another friend of procrastination is "distraction(s)".

I am slowly but surely learning to prioritize my tasks. I am also learning that once I get started, I am on a continual roll.

8. Jane Marie

Jane Marie New Member

Procrastination is brought about by depression, or a feeling of low self-esteem. You have nothing to do that you consider interesting enough to have that 'get it done' thought in your mind.

The way to stop procrastinating is to use your will power and be strong enough to say to yourself, 'okay, I have to do this or that now.' Do what you have to do and afterwards, you can reward yourself with your favourite procrastinating activities.

9. mericamarie

mericamarie New Member

I would have to disagree with a part of your response. I don't believe procrastination is brought upon by depression or low self-esteem. I am probably the biggest procrastinator that I know. Procrastination is laziness. I put school work and assignments off because I have better things to do at the moment. I'm a parent and I work so in my spare time I try to spend time with my children instead of having my head buried in the computer or a book studying.

10. Canaria

Canaria New Member

The only countermeasure against procrastination that I could've think of is by having a hobby, and physically and mentally involve in doing them. Not only you can distract yourself from your problem by granting you state of peace, but it will steadily heal your state of mind. So, instead of wasting time staring at the abyss of nothingness or wailing in despair, might as well fill up your precious time doing what you enjoy the most. And the moment you felt happiness despite surrounded with problems, you had just matured up your mind further, and enhanced your train of thought. The result is that you can think clearly with a calm mind, and decide the most rational solution to your life problem.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016