IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

RAM discussion and pro tips

Discussion in 'Computers' started by rhems091, Feb 4, 2019.

1. rhems091

rhems091 New Member

One of my two corsair dominator platinum 8 GB DDR3 sticks of RAM recently died on me. I'm running on 8 GB but I want to be back up to 16 as I've recently taken an interest to streaming and would like the capability to do so. i'm still learning the way of the PC and was looking for suggestions and protips regarding my situation. I would like to purchase another single stick of RAM but can only find dual stick sales. Is it possible to find a single stick of RAM and if so where is a good place to look? If I have to buy another set of RAM do I need to buy a similar brand? Will this affect my motherboard(if so how?). I'm balling on a budget right now so as much as I want to just buy DDR4 RAM and a whole new motherboard and just move on to another build all together, I can't at the moment. I also happen to enjoy my build and want to make it last. Just for insight, My specs are as follows:

CPU - Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GH Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

GPU - 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (EVGA)

Storage - 931GB Hitachi HDS721010CLA630 (SATA )

RAM(current) - 12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (I have one of two sticks of RAM running right right now and this is how my computer reads it. Why would it read as 8 GB DDR3 @ 1866 MHZ?)

Thanks for any and help :) If I'm posting in the wrong place please let me know!