IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Share your hiking or walking stories

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by katie, Mar 21, 2016.

1. katie

katie New Member

I'll be honest, I haven't had to opportunity to do a proper hike in a long time, but I do enjoy going out for walks in my spare time. I used to do full trips, sometimes up into the Scottish mountains, or across Cornwall, but that's been a while so I was hoping to share some stories.

There are some lovely rural routes near us, and more within a short journey. I always take a camera because I never know what I might spot on the journey and I've got some amazing memories. One of the one I'll never forget was the time a sparrowhawk took prey right next to us as we were walking. There was just this blur out of the air and a thump as it landed on something that was thankfully hidden in the long grass. All we could do was keep walking by slowly so we didn't startle it while it alternated ducking its head and glaring at us in case we wanted to share its mouse or whatever it had caught.

Does anyone else go walking or hiking?

2. Catie Hutchens

Catie Hutchens New Member

Me and my husband love walking and hiking. On our honeymoon three years ago we went to Cades Cove in Tennessee and decided to go hiking to Abram Falls. Little did we know it was a five mile hike up and down mountains just to see a tiny waterfall. We did get to see a bear and two snakes though. It was a great experience though that I got to spend with my wonderful husband that we will never forget !

3. Ashanti Cash

Ashanti Cash New Member

I remember two summers ago my girlfriend and I was taking a hike through a state park and we came across a pack of beautiful deer of all sizes. I'm originally from the city so it was fascinating to see wildlife up close like that. We also saw a fox and a snake so I found that to be really cool. It's not everyday I see that.