IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Should buy a laptop or desktop

Discussion in 'Computers' started by daviels, Mar 29, 2018.

1. daviels

daviels New Member

Laptops long ago surpassed desktops in
    sales, and tablets and smartphones are
    taking major market share from laptops. The
    tendency is clearly towards smaller, lighter,
    and more portable computing. But there are
    some good reasons to stick with a big box
    that sits on or below your desk
    First off, there's the price/performance ratio.
    Whether you're spending $300 or $3,000, you
    will get a more powerful computer for your
    money if you're willing to give up portability.
    You have more upgrade options with a
    desktop. Most laptops will let you easily add
    RAM and swap out the hard drive. But your
    average desktop can take more RAM than
    your average laptop. And with a desktop's
    multiple bays, your drive options open up
    considerably. For instance, you don't have to
    choose between an SSD and a hard drive on
    a laptop; you can have both. Upgrading a
    CPU or graphics card--reasonably easy tasks
    on a desktop--are difficult to impossible
    (usually impossible) on a laptop.
    Which brings up the issue of repair. It's easy
    to open up a desktop PC, check to make
    sure the cables are secure, clean out the
    dust, remove a broken part, and replace
    it with something generic. Laptop repair
    takes considerable skill, and many parts are
    specific to that model.
    On the other hand, laptops are portable.
    That's a very good reason to buy one. They
    also use less electricity.
    At first glance, desktops have an ergonomic
    advantage, thanks to the big screen and full-
    sized keyboard. But not really. At least when
    you're home or in the office, you can plug
    that screen and keyboard into your laptop.

2. Charlie W Gorham

Charlie W Gorham New Member

Before making any purchase consider the need and the desired result you want. If you need a device that you can carry with you to a coffee shop, or on a road trip, to a band rehearsal, or to class, or work then, a laptop is a device that will serve you. Laptops are portable, light, and less expensive, in many cases than a desktop. There are additional options such as a tablet or large display smartphone that can serve the same purpose as a laptop in many cases.

A desktop is a more robust version the laptop. It usually has more memory and a larger hard drive as well as a large viewing display and a much better graphics card with memory as well. A desktop computer is considerable much heavier than a laptop, it is not portable, and it can be a task to connect and transport safely.

3. Jezreel

Jezreel New Member

Laptop is always good than Desktop Computer.it was so efficient and transferable. thats why most of Laptops are more expensive than desktop. But still it depends on your main purpose of buying a computer. if you want a computer for business you should buy desktop because desktop are much cheaper than laptop. on that way you will have less expenses when it comes to your capital for your business. But if you plan to use your computer for personal purpose only, I suggest you buy a good quality laptop.because it will help you a lot than desktop computers.

4. zdevilinside

zdevilinside New Member

It really depends on what you are planning on doing with the computer and the issues in your life. If you are going to be using it for entertainment such as games, desktops are often better due to the ability to have faster or more robust hardware. If you are going to be using it for school, a laptop is better because it can be used in class to take notes, work on homework, etc in a single machine.

Laptops tend to offer more flexibility if you are not into graphics intensive gaming. Even if you are, if you are wiling to shell out the money, you can get laptops that are great for gaming but those are quite specialized.

5. billwaf

billwaf New Member

I prefer a laptop due to its portability @daviels. This is because there comes a time when I need to travel to various places and at the same time I have to check urgent emails from clients. Desktops can't be moved easily from one place to another, making it difficult for me to deal with them.

6. Theo77

Theo77 New Member

I share your view @billwaf. Laptop provide greater convenient that can never be gotten from desktop. I move about with my laptop, stay at home to complete jobs, provide information where necessary and do the needful. It is obvious that many cloud save or sky drive most information of their jobs and continue working at home if they have desk top at home as well as office, but my and some working environment support more of laptop.

Desktop occupy so much space than laptop. In space management one would prefer laptop. When I'm on a journey I move with my laptop and continue working at one point or another. May be hotel, lodge or a conference.

7. sammhung

sammhung New Member

It really depends on what you are going to use your computer for. If you are going to use it for school and want to bring it everywhere you go then a laptop will be the ideal choice. PC's are a lot less portable but they are often cheaper and brings in more performance. The better thing about PC is that you can upgrade it. You can also add lights and decoration to your PC to make it look better. So if you're going to go overseas and travel a lot use a laptop. If you want to use your computer at home then use a PC.

8. ashish kumar

ashish kumar New Member

if you want to do some video editing, VFX,3d character design or gaming then a laptop is the wrong choice you should buy a desktop with good configurations depending upon your workload but if you do normal work like internet surfing, office work, excel or typing related work then you can go for a laptop.

9. Rice0309

Rice0309 New Member

There's is pros and cons to both of the options. Let's just start with the obvious, Laptops are more transportable than desktops.
    But if you want to do hardware intensive work than go with a desktop and buy a cheap laptop. This is because most laptop makers try to keep the batter power more and temperature cooler on the laptop. So they often install hardware that performs lower than a desktop.

If you're trying to game, than get a desktop. In my younger days I tried to game with a laptop and let me just tell you it's not worth it. I switched to a desktop in college and it made my enjoyment of gaming a lot more.

10. Divineokpara02

Divineokpara02 New Member

Just as it has already been stated, it depends a lot on your plans, I advise you get a pen and paper and write down your plans and schedules and use the brilliant pros and cons provided above to make a guided decision.

11. Aiden Eylward

Aiden Eylward New Member

It really gets narrowed down to whether or not you are on the go. I am a YouTuber and filmmaker so I am on the go all the time so I use the MacBook as my main computer for editing the footage I have shot. if you are going to be at home most of the time and need a lot of power I suggest you get a desktop. Investing in a computer is a big step so I suggest doing your research on what computers are good for doing what tasks. If you are looking into doing processor intensive work I suggest a desktop. But if you are doing small activities and not using intensive software I suggest a laptop. But as I said before it all comes down to what you are using it for and if you are going to be on the go.

My YouTube channel is Aiden Eylward if you are interested.

12. Ofonime Udo

Ofonime Udo New Member

I understand what you are talking about,computer are of various shap and sizes some are built with higher memory so its better you access the type of work you want to dischage with your computer before proceed to purchase one for that specific work,for commercial business operator I will recommend a desktop computer system but if you want to use the computer for personal popurses I will suggest you buy a laptop computer that is easy to go along with,am a blogger so I make use of laptop computer and its very convinient with my blogging work.

13. ilovemoney01

ilovemoney01 New Member

14. ilovemoney01

ilovemoney01 New Member

Hello, I just recently purchased ACER Chromebook 315, just love it . It's pretty quick and does the work as any other
    laptop or desktop computers. The only draw back, have limited storage capacity but I ended buying for couple of'dollars
    an external sim memory card(10GB) . Not every thing goes into this external memory card. For now I need no more
    storage what they offered with this machine. At the end of day I really like it.

15. Alexander Money

Alexander Money New Member

I have purchased an HP Laptop, but honestly, there is no right or wrong answer here, as both Laptops and Desktops have their advantages, as well as draw-backs. I personally prefer Laptops because of how portable they are and how easy the machines are to store. It really does depend on the use of the PC, if you're a gamer, a desktop build would be better for you, but if your needing something for word processing, a Laptop would do.

16. ilovemoney01

ilovemoney01 New Member

For those who are looking to purchase a laptop and desktop, be patient because before the Holidays and the coronavirus issue with the schools.
    It was great demand for laptops , but now the Holidays it's over and kids in most schools went back to in person schools then for sure there
    is no much demand and there is no shortage. You can buy today a brand names such as HP ,Acer and more for real good price.
    A- Try ebay
    B-Try best buy for open box( open box is some one who purchased a new machine and returned it for some reasons)
    So normally open box could go as 50% cheaper than new one. Good luck

17. rovuhaux

rovuhaux New Member

It is better for you to purchase laptop if you want to be mobile. If you are a hardcore player or graphics designer, you should stick with a PC. For me as a programmer, laptop with integrated gpu and high performance cpu is a better option.

18. saba123

saba123 New Member

In my opinion it depends upon what you want. If you want to have a device that you can take anywhere then just buy a laptop, but keep in mind laptops are usually more expensive then normal computers. If you want to buy a Computer then try to buy one which is built well and make sure that the combination of the specs are good.

19. Razor1911

Razor1911 New Member

That totally depends upon individua's choice. There are pros and cons having a PC and having a laptop.

Laptops are preferred by people who can't remain home or office all the time. Laptops are a better option for them, as they can carry it with them to anywhere they go.

Where as, Desktop are used for home/office purposes. Since you can't carry PC with you, it is inconvenient to use it all the time. It is specially used for high end projects where high RAM and video chips are required.

20. TheSavageSpear

TheSavageSpear New Member

If you want to work while travelling, the yes to laptops, if you are a lazy person/ not much go out and work person then desktop.