IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Should you use youtube or another video platform

Discussion in 'Music' started by Saratttyyyyy, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Saratttyyyyy

Saratttyyyyy New Member

What other sites can you use besides youtube ?

2. Stephan Vas

Stephan Vas New Member

I'm not sure about your purposes, but I would recommend Vimeo to you. The quality of the content on Vimeo is great. My friend who likes cinematography found a lot of great content such as beautiful and artistic videos there. If you are an artist, you could try it. Oh, now it looks like an ad. In my opinion, it is just a great alternative to Youtube for both content makers and viewers.

3. Dimnussens

Dimnussens New Member

Yeah, Stephan Vas is right to bring up Vimeo. It's the only other platform out there with any staying power, but it just doesn't compete with the juggernaut that is Youtube. The costs of hosting videos are enormous and it really needs a power player like Google to be able to prop up a site like Youtube long enough for it to actually start making money.

That said, I don't feel like you can get everything you need on Vimeo. Youtube's the big platform for the independent creators and musicians right now. If you need to learn how to do something it's the only real destination. For music it gives even the smallest artist a real shot at being heard even if their genre is experimental death polka or psychobilly jazz. It's not the perfect platform and there's a lot that I wish was better about it, but until something better comes along Youtube is kind of the gold standard.