IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Smartphones are causing insomnia

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Carmen Giurgiu, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Carmen Giurgiu

Carmen Giurgiu New Member

Taking your smartphone to bed is the best way to end up with insomnia. Smartphones cause insomnia because they are distracting. The sounds and vibrations of calls, notifications, and messages can stop people from sleeping or even wake them from sleep. People who take their phones to bed can also end up checking social media and more, causing them to sleep much later than they intended.

If that was not enough, smartphones and almost every other tech gadget with a screen emit a blue light that the brain mistakes for daylight. This causes the brain to lower the secretion of melatonin—the hormone that tells our body it is time for bed. This is usually not a problem during the day but becomes one when we are trying to get some sleep at night.

I know it is a mistake, but still, I take it with me to bed every single night. Do you?

2. ardenfriar

ardenfriar New Member

I 100% agree with this message! I can't even remember a night I went to bed before 1:00am because I always just sit on my phone. Having it with you all day and sleeping with it right by your head is not good for your mental health or physical health.

Recent research suggests that exposure to artificial light from tablets may be the reason for the increase in insomnia cases. Phones emit around 50 lux, which delays the timing of your body’s natural circular rhythm. Phones shine short-wavelength, blue light, into your eyes, which stimulates your brain telling it to stay awake and confuses you. Keeping your phone out of your room is the smart move overall, many scientists show it helps keep your sleep schedule on track.

3. dylan.wagner

dylan.wagner New Member

I think that smartphones can greatly affect our sleeping, good or bad. Yes, I agree that when people stare at their phones for hours on end at night, it causes them to not be able to fall asleep. However, smartphones can also improve our sleep! With apps that track our sleep and tell us how to improve it or apps that play white noise like rain and thunder, we can sleep so much better if we utilize our smartphones!

4. bilalgul

bilalgul New Member

I was also Falling In this plate without me even knowing it. In snake it was just right now when I read your thread that I came to know that I have also got Insomnia just due to my smartphone because I take my smartphone to bed with me and keep chatting or scrolling through it still it is 1:00 a.m. in the night.