IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Social media is destroying our lives

Discussion in 'Internet' started by Carmen Giurgiu, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Carmen Giurgiu

Carmen Giurgiu New Member

Social media has been linked to a multitude of problems including depression, hyperactivity, anxiety, low self-esteem, or loss of concentration. This is worse in teenagers who tend to use social media more and more.

Some argue that social media only appears to cause depression and loneliness because most users already have those characteristics and only turn to social media to meet people. Although I don't totally agree with this, I believe it is an interesting point of view that is worth considering. I would like to hear your opinion?

2. melissapatrick2008

melissapatrick2008 New Member

In my opinion, I can definitely understand what they are saying. However, depression and anxiety is something that a lot of people had never dealt with, but now it seems like everybody has one or both of these. The way the world is now it really doesn't surprise me, everybody is mainly worried about only themselves and screwing everybody else out of whatever they can.

3. cherriefic

cherriefic New Member

It depends on the person who are using it. Social media should be used in moderation I guess. If you are the type who can get affected easily from what you can read from there, then it's better to just quit browsing. But it's also true that it can be a cause of depression for some people. Not everyone can manage their emotions easily.

Although they have to learn that it's like TV. Nothing is real out there. Everything that you see is filtered or enhanced so it will look great. People who tends to be envious with what others have will be the perfect target. There are cyber bulling that's happening as well. But that's the reason why you can block them. Right? So I think it just depends on the person if he/she will allow social media to destroy their lives.

4. lgund77

lgund77 New Member

I run a blog and a podcast, and I use social media primarily as a way to connect with my viewers. In fact, most of my views come from social media! I think if you are running a business or trying to create a brand for yourself, social media is indispensable. You have to use it because everyone is on it! It is a fantastic tool to gain followers of your mission/business.

While I consider it to be a tool, there are many for whom it is an addiction. I have personally experienced this. You see, there was a time in my life in which I could not stop scrolling. It was horrible. My brain was constantly overloaded on dopamine and my focus was gone. I noticed a drastic decrease in my attention span and it was really impacting my life. Of course, this is not the case for everyone, but I do not believe social media truly positively impacts anyone.

5. gemna117_crazyforchloe

gemna117_crazyforchloe New Member

I'm thinking about this all the time. It's kind of my number one reason for avoiding Facebook. We shouldn't take what we see on social media at face value, but 98% of society does anyway. It seems like there's anxiety, depression and trust issues because of people choosing to lie or be fake.