IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Tesla & Einstein , Who has more influence ?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Fairchildftw, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Fairchildftw

Fairchildftw New Member

Who do you think has more influence on what we have today ?
    What would be world without Nikola Tesla or Albert Einstein?

2. Lazaran

Lazaran New Member

I believe that for the majority of people, Tesla has a larger influence. He was an inventor more than a scholar, and any number of his inventions are used by millions of people daily, AC electricity for example, Edison would have had us continue to use DC and most likely, aside from any number of differences, there would be a significant increase in cases of electrocution over the last 150-ish years. Einstein, on the other hand, has had more influence in Mathematics and Physics, revolutionizing the way a select group of individuals view the world, rather than radically changing an entire population. However, he did theorize/discover quantum mechanics, which is a rapidly growing field at the moment, quantum computing being the fastest changing aspect of it. And his work on the Manhattan Project revolutionized war and how it was fought.

I think the best way to think about it is that Tesla had a whole bunch of little discoveries that subtly shifted society over time as they were absorbed into the common understanding, and that history would have been very different without him.
    While Einstein had a few rather large and important discoveries that very quickly and very strongly shift the way the world thought.
    I consider them to be equal in their levels of influence, they just did it in different ways.

3. Dimnussens

Dimnussens New Member

This is a difficult thing to process, because their spheres of influence were mostly separate. On a practical level, Tesla did more for the common man than Einstein. Yet, I'd say Einstein would hold the distinction that he's done more for mankind.

Tesla was an inventor, a pioneer in electronics at a time when every new invention was treading new ground. Now, this is somewhat a pessimistic view, but much of what he discovered and put out there was rather inevitable. Somebody would have gotten around to either the same thing or a viable alternative at some point. Marconi was working on radio just the same as Tesla. Their innovations changed the world, but great minds often think alike when it comes to practical engineering.

Einstein on the other hand was truly an exceptional human being. Physics is not a field the common man can easily gravitate towards, and Einstein's superhuman intuition on the subject completely disrupted the paradigm. His contemporaries spent as much time trying to refute him as to prove him, but in the end he was a lot closer to the truth and moved the entire science forwards. The reason why I find this difficult is, all great advancements are made on the shoulders of giants. All of modern electronics owes Tesla a debt, but physics is a fundamental force of the universe. We didn't invent it, but we need to understand it. All of our technology works by exploiting physics, so I'd say that Einstein wins out here on a technicality.