IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

The method of teaching yourself programming

Discussion in 'Programming' started by 14yumj1, Feb 18, 2018.

1. 14yumj1

14yumj1 New Member

I'm a student in hotel management and I'm trying to learn programming as its a useful skill to have in the future. After, I've dabbling in many of the free code courses, I've come to the conclusion that most of them are in fact- not very useful. When learning coding, it is essential to have the chance to apply your skills - which means it is necessary for you to use your skills to actually create something, whether its a simple webpage or game. Because of this, I recommend Code Academy. After going through a few hours of basic HTML lessons, they suddenly throw this huge challenge at you which basically is:

1.Look at this website.
    2.Recreate this website yourself using your own html code.

Now it wasn't a very complicated website I had to replicate, but its not easy, I'm still working on it and my skills are being pushed to the limit. However, I have to say that this is also really fun, and if there is a perfect way to teach yourself coding, this one comes pretty close.

How have you all taught yourself coding? Please share you experiences with me.

2. Cinderella

Cinderella New Member

I graduated way back when internet technology was just starting. I never had a chance to learn about coding. This is the reason why I find it difficult to manage my own blog site. Good thing there is Google on the backup. I always search Google for any information that I find difficult to comprehend.

It so helpful that I came upon your post about Code Academy. I will be glad to check it out. I believe that having an additional knowledge of coding is one great thing to consider. Thank you for sharing this opportunity.

3. Ellepanda

Ellepanda New Member

I think it's a good thing that you are teaching yourself useful skills such as coding. I learned how to code during high school in C language. We also learned about HTML and CSS.

The greatest tip will be to practice and never stop doing it. In my case, I feel that I am quite rusty in my programming and coding skills (particularly in HTML and CSS) since I last used them almost 2 years ago.

Kudos to you and good luck on your interests!