IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Thoughts on the Duggars 19 Kids and Counting Scandal

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by RTWB, Aug 27, 2015.

1. RTWB

RTWB New Member

I definitely disagree with everything the Duggars stand for. Their campaign against tolerance, against homosexuality, against feminism, against legal abortion, against stem cell research and Catholics is disturbing to me. They don't believe in science education, sex education, or higher education for their children; especially their daughters. They're self-righteous, uneducated money-grubbing zealots who got rich on a reality show which exploited their children. I'll admit it: I don't like them.
    Their extreme way of life isn't a cable-ready curiosity, and their religious fundamentalism isn't quaint or kitschy; it’s dangerous. For someone like me it’s delicious comeuppance for their moral failures as human beings… let alone Christians to find out that they are not, in fact holier thou.

2. Cacp9urple

Cacp9urple New Member

I could honestly care less what their personal beliefs are. However they decided to put themselves in the spot light knowing there was a possibility this could come to light. thats is very selfish of these parents. Those 5 girls got re-victimized because of the parents careless actions.

I have also been very disappointed and disturbed by the publics reactions. From the comments Ive read on both scandals it seem people are more upset about the Ashley Madison scandal then him molesting is sisters. I have read over and over again that he asked "God for forgiveness so who are we to judge?" Go in to any prison and ask how many of those men and women attend church services and have asked for forgiveness. None of these people who are saying that what Josh did was forgiven are fighting to let those people out of prison. It seriously upsets me the lack of concern for his victims!

3. tristalpistol

tristalpistol New Member

They bothered me from the beginning. Any time I had to see that family I would change the channel. They made my skin crawl, and looking back, maybe it was my instincts telling me something wasn't right with them.

So glad the show is gone!

4. Sue Giplaye

Sue Giplaye New Member

I believe that reality TV shows in general are always created to form some kind of scandal. Probably the TV Show Producers knew the Duggards history, and chose to televise them to be controversial .TV Producers love people that have family secrets , so when they become exposed they can cash out on increased viewership.

5. maclover68

maclover68 New Member

While like Cacp9urple I don't really care what their religion is, I also understand in a situation like the Duggars their religion plays a pretty big role in this scandal. Specifically they are part of the Quiverfull movement. This is a pretty radical and scary religious movement that views women as little more than baby making machines. Children are viewed as weapons to be used in a spiritual war with the rest of the evil secular world. They, like many cults, strive for complete control over the lives of their members. Growing up the way the Duggar children grew up (and some still growing up) is it much wonder how they are so messed up?

Here is a pretty interesting piece written by a woman who has escaped the Quiverfull movement in which she was raised: http://www.cracked.com/personal-exp...om-my-christian-fundamentalist-childhood.html

6. paidtoclickfan

paidtoclickfan New Member

I am no longer a fan of the Duggars. The scandal turned me against them. I am so glad the show was canceled because of the scandal. The Duggars have become trash. The Duggars are now in tabloid magazines.