IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Virtual vs physical sports

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Youngshark, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Youngshark

Youngshark New Member

There are some people who tend to be great at physical activities and especially games. These are the kind who will spend endless hours pursuing their chosen sport as a hobby.

There is also a category of individuals that know each and everything about a certain sport but only participate in it virtually. They might be gamers or even enthusiastic about the games and love watching and following up on the related activities.

I am a football fan by nature and i also tend to participate in virtual activities like games. My favorite physical sport is swimming. Which category are you in and why?

2. Eli

Eli New Member

I personally don't play any video games competitively, as much as I enjoy them. I'm not sure if I think those people are necessarily "athletes". Rather, I think they have their own category. For example, artists are talented and work hard at their craft, but they are not athletes. I think of gamers in a similar way. The best players are very talented, and put in a lot of work to hone their skills. However, they are not necessarily athletes, because their craft does not require much physical activity.

Again, though, there are exceptions to the rule. Some games require so much physical activity that I would classify players as athletes. Just as dancers are both artists and athletes, some games have players that are both gamers and athletes.

That's just my take on the subject. I'm sure we'll see this discussion continue as e-sports rise in popularity, with things like the Overwatch League gaining more and more viewers. I'm excited to see how it all plays out.